Away guide to Grantham

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DAFTS
Team Supported: Darlington

Away guide to Grantham

Post by DAFTS » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:58 pm

DAFTS away guide to Grantham next Saturday, including clubhouse and local pub details.

http://tinyurl.com/jko8xk2

Is it a full bus?
Any estimate of how many we're likely to take just to help their catering people///

Neil Johnson

Re: Away guide to Grantham

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Lot easier travel (train / bus) than some recent Darlo away games. The away following will depend on the Darlo & Blyth results in matches during this week. So 300-700?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:44 pm

Darlo Pete will be there no doubt

IanW15
Team Supported: Stoke & Darlington

Post by IanW15 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:43 pm

Had not even considered this one before as thought it was miles out of the way but after checking trains it looks promising. Two changes from Stoke but definently do-able.

footifan

Post by footifan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:07 pm

I went to their ground in the 60's when they played in the Midland League.... Tidy little ground

ian_brown
Team Supported: Fulchester United

Post by ian_brown » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:08 pm

What chance of some anti-Thatcher songs?! :lol:

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:07 am

I used to have a season ticket for Grantham many moons ago when I lived in Lincolnshire. How times have changed.

Jamm

Post by Jamm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:03 pm

ian_brown wrote:What chance of some anti-Thatcher songs?! :lol:

None. :roll:

Jamm

Post by Jamm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:07 pm

Should be a good day out, cheap train tickets purchased in January, a rare away day for me and a belated wetting the baby's head session! Let's get drunk! :thumbup:

MKDarlo

Post by MKDarlo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 pm

Jamm wrote:Should be a good day out, cheap train tickets purchased in January, a rare away day for me and a belated wetting the baby's head session! Let's get drunk! :thumbup:
see you there!

StAlbansGTFC
Team Supported: Grantham

Post by StAlbansGTFC » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:05 am

Hoping for a good following from yourselves tomorrow as it's a very easy trip down the A1 (or up the main line). The 'tidy ground' that was referenced was the old London Road ground which we sadly left in 1990. By the time we left it was anything but tidy, it was a three sided ground like Stourbridge but with a far bigger stand down one side and a very notorious 'end' behind the goal. Some fabulous memories there from our days when we really were one of the top non league sides in the country. We moved to the Meres in 1991 with our largest crowd to date being 3,695 for the FA Trophy Quarter Final v Southport in 1998. Doubtless some of you will not like the running track but most of the 'moans' seem to come from non league fans who like to be able to stand virtually on the touchline! Having seen Grantham at nearly 200 grounds over the years one thing you get at the Meres is uninterrupted sight lines, unlike many of the grounds in our league were walls, dugouts, stand supports, other fans, often get in the way. Quite why away fans still come to our ground and stand at pitch level when you can get a good elevation is beyond me and some still insist on standing behind the goal!!
This season has been something of a success for us. Our crowds are unfathomably low for a town of our size and club with our history (at non league level at least). As such our budget is very tightly managed and we must be one of the smallest in the league, any time we have a quality player he gets offered more money elsewhere very quickly and there are a lot of clubs who can do so in our vicinity. We started ok and then our results took a major dip and relegation looked on the cards, but we picked up 5 wins and 3 draws from an 8 game run that has hopefully just about hauled us to safety now.
We did lose one of out star men last Saturday with a dislocated shoulder and he will be out for the season, that's a big blow as he had hit a great run of form and his work rate was something to behold. With our other forward out with a hamstring injury we are down to the bare bones. But...we have never really been an easy team to beat and work fantastically hard for each other, it's not pretty often but we don't have that luxury so make do with what we have. Last Saturday was a bit of an aberration at Salford but those games happen.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:34 pm

St.Albans, where would you recommend parking for the game?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:St.Albans, where would you recommend parking for the game?
The ground is in a large sports complex with loads of on site parking.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:15 pm

"The club serves Carling, Worthingtons, Coors Light, Strongbow and Guinness on draught."

Feck me, I thought they would be trying to encourage fans to come to the clubhouse... it's a line-up from hell for me :sick: .

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:05 pm

StAlbansGTFC wrote:Hoping for a good following from yourselves tomorrow as it's a very easy trip down the A1 (or up the main line). The 'tidy ground' that was referenced was the old London Road ground which we sadly left in 1990. By the time we left it was anything but tidy, it was a three sided ground like Stourbridge but with a far bigger stand down one side and a very notorious 'end' behind the goal. Some fabulous memories there from our days when we really were one of the top non league sides in the country. We moved to the Meres in 1991 with our largest crowd to date being 3,695 for the FA Trophy Quarter Final v Southport in 1998. Doubtless some of you will not like the running track but most of the 'moans' seem to come from non league fans who like to be able to stand virtually on the touchline! Having seen Grantham at nearly 200 grounds over the years one thing you get at the Meres is uninterrupted sight lines, unlike many of the grounds in our league were walls, dugouts, stand supports, other fans, often get in the way. Quite why away fans still come to our ground and stand at pitch level when you can get a good elevation is beyond me and some still insist on standing behind the goal!!
This season has been something of a success for us. Our crowds are unfathomably low for a town of our size and club with our history (at non league level at least). As such our budget is very tightly managed and we must be one of the smallest in the league, any time we have a quality player he gets offered more money elsewhere very quickly and there are a lot of clubs who can do so in our vicinity. We started ok and then our results took a major dip and relegation looked on the cards, but we picked up 5 wins and 3 draws from an 8 game run that has hopefully just about hauled us to safety now.
We did lose one of out star men last Saturday with a dislocated shoulder and he will be out for the season, that's a big blow as he had hit a great run of form and his work rate was something to behold. With our other forward out with a hamstring injury we are down to the bare bones. But...we have never really been an easy team to beat and work fantastically hard for each other, it's not pretty often but we don't have that luxury so make do with what we have. Last Saturday was a bit of an aberration at Salford but those games happen.
Thanks for the post.

I hope to be there but depends on work,we need the points more than you I suspect!

roadrunner

Post by roadrunner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:10 pm

Grantham FC bit of history between us Steve Morgan and Reg brealey left Darlington in 1998 to take Grantham to the Football league but left them in debt.
I have the magazine when Saturday comes Sheffield Utd to Darlington to Grantham town

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:30 pm

ian_brown wrote:What chance of some anti-Thatcher songs?! :lol:

Given today is the third anniversary of "Thatcher Day", one would sincerely hope so.

Sheffield. Sheaf View pub.

8/4/13

https://youtu.be/LR8rSc68lVY
Bring Back the Quarters

grytters

Post by grytters » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 pm

roadrunner wrote:Grantham FC bit of history between us Steve Morgan and Reg brealey left Darlington in 1998 to take Grantham to the Football league but left them in debt.
I have the magazine when Saturday comes Sheffield Utd to Darlington to Grantham town

Biggest thing about him in Sheffield and his departure from the Blunts was his involvement in Titaghur Jute.

(Sadly. The internets - and by that I mean Google and Wikipedia - have not been forthcoming on this matter. But don't let it stop all of you looking)
Bring Back the Quarters

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:01 am

Rain all stopped here in Lincolnshire. Will get out fine this afternoon.