bbc cameras

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

meadowlark
Team Supported: Darlington

bbc cameras

Post by meadowlark » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:59 am

I hope the club are receiving a fee from the bbc for allowing them to film their documentary about Salford at our home game.

jjljks

Re: bbc cameras

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:37 am

What about each one of the crowd demanding to be paid as extras then donating the proceeds to Back to Darlo fund? If you can't photo your own bairns in the school play without permission and contravening the Data Protection Act, then surely BBC should cough up a fee?? ;-)

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:05 pm

One can only try for a fee ,but it's the BBC and we all know how they work ,cover ups and the like,so I'd say no chance.Would like to see it happen though. :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:39 pm

onewayup wrote:One can only try for a fee ,but it's the BBC and we all know how they work ,cover ups and the like,so I'd say no chance.Would like to see it happen though. :lol:
Adding this to my list of onewayup's most nonsensical posts.

There's quite a lot to choose from.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:54 pm

You're a right grumpy git these days.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:You're a right grumpy git these days.
Nope, I'm just calling out nonsense where I see it. Doesn't make me grumpy at all.

Don't tell me you agree that the BBC should be forced to pay to do their work?

What have meadowlark and onewayup got against the Beeb anyway? Why are they singling them out? Why not get Stod and Ray Simpson, or DarloFansRadio to cough up on entry too?

Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Fee? It's free advertising for the club?

Give over

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:41 pm

I too would like some money from the BBC.

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:45 pm

I've never been fondled by a bbc person and I'm dead good looking! I feel cheated and therefore I demand compensation from the bbc!
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

meadowlark

Post by meadowlark » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:59 pm

Luckily I am in a good mood tonight, but I have two comments for darlogramps.
First, read my original post again and ask yourself where I said I have got it in for the BBC.
Second, if you don't understand the difference between craig stoddart, ray simpson and others reporting on darlo games for darlo fans, and BBC tv filming a darlo game for a documentary about Salford, then there is not much I can say about that.
Finally, one general comment for anyone else. I didn't say the BBC should be forced to make a payment, I just said I hoped we got a fee.
End of story.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:19 pm

meadowlark wrote:Luckily I am in a good mood tonight, but I have two comments for darlogramps.
First, read my original post again and ask yourself where I said I have got it in for the BBC.
Well you're wanting them to pay us money to do their job, for a reason you haven't explained. So if you don't have a reason, it can only be some sort of issue with the BBC.
meadowlark wrote:Second, if you don't understand the difference between craig stoddart, ray simpson and others reporting on darlo games for darlo fans, and BBC tv filming a darlo game for a documentary about Salford, then there is not much I can say about that.
I fully understand the difference in who's reporting on who, but my point is you haven't explained why one group is worthy of getting in for free, while another has to pay, purely because they're not reporting on us. It makes you sound bitter and jealous that Salford are getting attention and we're not.

What about if it was a reporter from a North West newspaper doing a match report on Salford? Should they also pay because they're not reporting on Darlo?

I'm loving this welcoming attitude you have to everyone who's trying to promote non-league football.
meadowlark wrote:Finally, one general comment for anyone else. I didn't say the BBC should be forced to make a payment, I just said I hoped we got a fee.
End of story.
You can try and deflect over semantics all night long, but you want the BBC to pay to do their work. That's what we're discussing here. If someone stood outside your place of work and asked you to pay to get in, I doubt you'd be too pleased about that.

In two posts you've not offered a reason for your assertion, which is very bizarre and indicates you don't actually believe in what you're saying. If you actually offer an explanation for why the BBC should pay to get in, perhaps we'll get somewhere.

Let me ask you this, if the BBC were making a documentary about us, would you be saying that they should pay to get in?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:19 am

Never saw the cameras last night, although I heard they followed in the Salford team, along with Salford's ghetto blaster.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:18 am

Darlogramps, you really are a grumpy old git ,the post is obviously tounge in cheek. Instead of criticisms of others posts,why don't you post something positively of your own .

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:31 am

They are gaining footage of our team. Which we pay to see and our club pays to play. Salford will be receiving money too. To say 'you want the bbc to pay to do their work' is an odd one. I mean yes, like they pay for all their access to potential footage so they can justify the licence fee? Hardly the same as me paying just to 'do my job'.

I dont agree with the initial point but I dont see why you're arguing agaisnt the beeb 'paying to do their job'. They would be paying for a product they are using.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:32 am

Also pete, there was a big fucking drone flying around with green and red lights off it. What do you mean you didnt see the cameras?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:34 pm

TDS wrote:Also pete, there was a big fucking drone flying around with green and red lights off it. What do you mean you didnt see the cameras?

Never saw the drone, I was in the tinshed so it did obscure my view of the night sky & I probably didn't think one would be flying at night as well.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:41 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
TDS wrote:Also pete, there was a big fucking drone flying around with green and red lights off it. What do you mean you didnt see the cameras?

Never saw the drone, I was in the tinshed so it did obscure my view of the night sky & I probably didn't think one would be flying at night as well.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:53 pm

TDS, Thanks for attempting a coherent explanation, although unsurprisingly, I disagree with you on a few points.
TDS wrote: I dont agree with the initial point but I dont see why you're arguing agaisnt the beeb 'paying to do their job'. They would be paying for a product they are using.
Surely you can use this same argument for the Northern Echo or DarloFansRadio, or whoever else covers Darlo. They too would be coming to "use a product" so why do they get in free, but the BBC documentary makers have to pay? That's inconsistent and double-standards.

And I think we'd be in danger of doing damage to our reputation if people are suggesting media who don't regularly cover us should pay for "the product" of the game.
TDS wrote:They are gaining footage of our team. Which we pay to see and our club pays to play. Salford will be receiving money too. To say 'you want the bbc to pay to do their work' is an odd one.
I mean yes, like they pay for all their access to potential footage so they can justify the licence fee?
With the greatest respect, I don't understand what point you're making here. That you don't believe the BBC paying a fee to us to film last night's game would be "paying to do their work"? And the OP quite clearly states he wants the BBC to have paid us money to film last night's game. That's a pretty clear definition of wanting them to pay to work.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:01 pm

onewayup wrote:Darlogramps, you really are a grumpy old git ,the post is obviously tounge in cheek.
Ha - you've been challenged and now all of a sudden your post was an attempt at humour. Whatever you say. Stop back-pedalling and actually defend your post.

And also, if you're going to sink to the level of throwing insults, at least come up with original ones, rather repeating ones from earlier in the thread.
onewayup wrote: Instead of criticisms of others posts,why don't you post something positively of your own .
I post plenty of positive things about the club (check my post history if you want). But I enjoy challenging people who come up with nonsensical views.

It speaks volumes that you've attempted to insult me, rather than stick up for your original post.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:18 pm

Darlogramps, Pathetic, I,ll not quantify.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:33 pm

Without getting drawn into an argument, I think it's quite fair to request a small fee from the BBC. In fact they probably have a set fee ready to be offered in occasions such as this.

They're not doing us any favours -they're making (yet another) documentary about $alford - not us, and using our car park/electric/other facilities.

They pay to film MOTD and other games, so why not us ?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:24 pm

Darlogramps wrote:TDS, Thanks for attempting a coherent explanation, although unsurprisingly, I disagree with you on a few points.
TDS wrote: I dont agree with the initial point but I dont see why you're arguing agaisnt the beeb 'paying to do their job'. They would be paying for a product they are using.
Surely you can use this same argument for the Northern Echo or DarloFansRadio, or whoever else covers Darlo. They too would be coming to "use a product" so why do they get in free, but the BBC documentary makers have to pay? That's inconsistent and double-standards.
The Echo and fans radio etc are reporting on the game, they are not making a documentary, thats the difference, and its a big one.

I'm not saying the BBC shouldnt be allowed, or should have to pay, but they are doing more than creating a match report, so the comparison isnt valid.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:54 pm

The BBC pay for s*** all the time, so to say they "shouldn't have to pay for doing their job" is a nonsense argument as it's misrepresenting what we're talking about and creating false analogies.

They'll be paying Salford, they pay people who appear in documentaries, they pay for permission to use footage, and they legally have to gain permission for anything they put into a documentary which often incurs a fee (or in other words, paying people for s***).

As Shawry mentioned, if the Echo or whoever were doing a documentary then yes, the same rules would apply to them, but your comparison is flawed as it isn't like for like.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:29 am

I doubt there is going to be much appetite for this documentary anymore (have to admit the first series was good) with Gigg's at Man U, the Nevilles at Valencia, Butt is at Man U.
Now Salford will just be another non league club with the owners having a fleeting interest in the club.
It will probably focus on the few games when the class of 92 actually attend, which will be very little.
However, it will be a good advert for non league football.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:11 am

shawry wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:TDS, Thanks for attempting a coherent explanation, although unsurprisingly, I disagree with you on a few points.
The Echo and fans radio etc are reporting on the game, they are not making a documentary, thats the difference, and its a big one.

I'm not saying the BBC shouldnt be allowed, or should have to pay, but they are doing more than creating a match report, so the comparison isnt valid.
I disagree. It's not a big difference in my opinion. They are still media at the ground, creating a product around non-league football and the game.

I don't think that's a "big" difference at all.

And this match will, in all likelihood, feature for a minute or two at most in the documentary. It's not as if the full documentary is based on this one match.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:36 am

onewayup wrote:Darlogramps, Pathetic, I,ll not quantify.
Because you're incapable of doing so.

Again, you've offered no explanation for your argument. Instead you've thrown a very mild insult at someone who has challenged you.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:47 pm

Darlogramps wrote:I disagree. It's not a big difference in my opinion. They are still media at the ground, creating a product around non-league football and the game.

I don't think that's a "big" difference at all.

And this match will, in all likelihood, feature for a minute or two at most in the documentary. It's not as if the full documentary is based on this one match.
The problem you've got is you're starting with a faulty comparison based on the fact that they're all "journalists" or "the media", which means you're ending up with a facile argument based on this faulty comparison.

The big difference here is the fact that the BBC are making a television show, not a match report, and that is a big difference whether you want to admit it or not. Hence, a lot more money is involved and there are extra permissions involved too: they have to get permission for anything they use.

So to say "they shouldn't have to pay to do their job" is facile as according to the law that's exactly what they have to do in this instance (making a documentary). And comparing what they're doing to what another journalist or media outlet is doing is facile too as you're not comparing like for like (just because they've got similar jobs doesn't mean that everything involved in their respective jobs is identical).

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:08 pm

There's also a further distinction to be made about Fans Radio as this the club's officially sanctioned Fans Group who are helping the club to engage fans far and wide. It's on a par with Kev shooting the video but, to make that comparison a little closer, the video highlights are sponsored and I think we should try and think of ways to monetise the commentary (read out sponsors names or something) to help offset any impact the service may have on our home crowds. Hopefully the new Commercial Team can look at this as potential revenue stream for next season.

With the Echo the club have probably issued local reporters with a press pass since Adam was a lad, as they rely on them to reach those parts of the local community that the club can't reach - also the Echo's Chief Editor sits on the DFC Advisory Board (or he did last time I looked) so we're all pulling in the same direction... a good team sells more papers which draws more fans in.

As for the BBC making a TV Show at our expense - I'm sure permission will have been sought and granted, and whether any money changed hands will probably show in the accounts but I think it's all good publicity for the club (and we won!). So long as they just call us "Darlington" when they broadcast it would be good enough for me.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg