New signing

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

New signing

Post by divas » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Nathan Evans, 21 year old left winger who was on the books of Wycombe last season after winning Samsung's annual talent spotting competition.

Was schooled at Newcastle United and has appeared for Whitby and Scarborough in the past.

darlostu

Re: New signing

Post by darlostu » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Hope he doesn't need international clearance

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Contracted or just registered player?
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Did we pay a fee and was it cost neutral?

I demand answers!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:02 pm

Why are we signing players when we should be building a new £5m stand in the middle of Darlo market place?

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:22 pm

Having learnt today what Hardy cost then doesn't surprise me. We obviously aren't fussed we have a deficit and continuing to blow money on transfer fees at this level. Then it will be up to the fans to plug the hole. Crazy

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:43 pm

Quaker0006 wrote:Having learnt today what Hardy cost then doesn't surprise me. We obviously aren't fussed we have a deficit and continuing to blow money on transfer fees at this level. Then it will be up to the fans to plug the hole. Crazy
What have you learned?.All we know on here is rumour and bullshit.Or is that what you've learned?

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Quaker0006 wrote:Having learnt today what Hardy cost then doesn't surprise me. We obviously aren't fussed we have a deficit and continuing to blow money on transfer fees at this level. Then it will be up to the fans to plug the hole. Crazy
The club have said the transfer was cost neutral. Who would you rather believe, our club or some bloke off the street? If you are accusing the club of lying then please be specific.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:56 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Did we pay a fee and was it cost neutral?

I demand answers!
There's no need for that Les. That's a childish response to reasonable questions.

We're getting a lot of that on here from club loyalists recently.

Anyway enough negativity. Today's a good day for the football club.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:00 pm

loan_star wrote:
The club have said the transfer was cost neutral. Who would you rather believe, our club or some bloke off the street? If you are accusing the club of lying then please be specific.
Well if someone works out what cost neutral actually means then I will let you know.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:52 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:Did we pay a fee and was it cost neutral?

I demand answers!
:lol:

I've thought since Youhill left we have been short of a wide player, so not surprised we've brought someone in. Decent pedigree, so will be interesting to see how he gets on.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:37 am

Jury's out on this one for me. I'm sure this is the second time he has signed for us after a brief spell in the NL season or on trial one summer, can't remember now.
He played against us for Scarborough last season at their place and didn't really impress me. Can't see it lasting but we'll see
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 pm

At 21 his best days should be in front of him.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Quaker0006 wrote:Well if someone works out what cost neutral actually means then I will let you know.
My theory-

Cost neutral = if before the ins and outs we were spending £XX on players wages per week, to end up within the seasons budget of £YY- then after the ins and outs we still end up paying £XX per week, which will still end up within the budget of £YY.

If the books didn't allow wiggle room for any transfer fee or possible extra expenses, then a donation from a fan or similar previously unaccounted for money would cover this shortfall.

I give you ......Cost neutral.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Quaker0006 wrote:Well if someone works out what cost neutral actually means then I will let you know.
My theory-

Cost neutral = if before the ins and outs we were spending £XX on players wages per week, to end up within the seasons budget of £YY- then after the ins and outs we still end up paying £XX per week, which will still end up within the budget of £YY.

If the books didn't allow wiggle room for any transfer fee or possible extra expenses, then a donation from a fan or similar previously unaccounted for money would cover this shortfall.

A lot of "ifs" and unknowns in that though. No one knows for certain (apart from those involved in the deal of course).

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
My theory-

A lot of "ifs" and unknowns in that though. No one knows for certain (apart from those involved in the deal of course).
Thats where trust in those involved is needed. Not criticism.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:54 pm

loan_star wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote: My theory-

Thats where trust in those involved is needed. Not criticism.
That's subjective. If people choose to trust, that's up to them although they can't then complain if things go wrong. If people choose to be more wary, that's also down to them.

But we trusted the likes of Houghton and Singh, and look what happened. They abused that trust and screwed the club over.

It was hardly plain sailing under Denis Pinnegar et al either, so you can't blame fans for asking questions.

I'd also like to point out yet again I haven't criticised the current board. I've raised questions and said I'd like to know more details about the Hardy deal. That's not criticism.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Wouldn't it be hilarious if we went on to sign another forward called "Laurel" Gramps ??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:08 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Wouldn't it be hilarious if we went on to sign another forward called "Laurel" Gramps ??
So long as we could afford him. Image

Rufusuk

Post by Rufusuk » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Original post on Wycombe Wanderers site.

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk//news ... 22698.aspx

bga

Post by bga » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 am

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Wouldn't it be hilarious if we went on to sign another forward called "Laurel" Gramps ??
So long as we could afford him. Image
Surely you me can as long as the deal was cost neutral!

Nemesis
Team Supported: Bishop

Post by Nemesis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:24 am

Current players wont be happy ! The players will know what I mean :o

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:16 am

Nemesis wrote:Current players wont be happy ! The players will know what I mean :o
'Look at me, look at me'.

Ugh.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:48 am

Hmmph another fine mess you're getting me into, Stanley. :roll:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:43 am

This lad never got a first team game at Wycombe, still got alot to do only 21 time's on his side.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:35 pm

loan_star wrote:
Overall the transfer was cost neutral. Parts of the transaction may have had a cost, but once everything balances this was cost neutral to the club.

Not saying everything is ran to my satisfaction as a fan, but this has not resulted in any additional deficit to the current financial position of the club.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:[quote="DarlogrampsIt was hardly plain sailing under Denis Pinnegar et al either, so you can't blame fans for asking questions.
As an aside, what exactly wasn't plain sailing under Denis Pinnegar ? Care to share ?

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:47 pm

AnthonyP wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
loan_star wrote:[quote="DarlogrampsIt was hardly plain sailing under Denis Pinnegar et al either, so you can't blame fans for asking questions.
As an aside, what exactly wasn't plain sailing under Denis Pinnegar ? Care to share ?
We ran out of money & had to do an emergency cash call IIRC. It was never really explained why.

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:45 pm

The Inland Revenue never had anything to do with the club during that period, Robbie, certainly as far as I was aware and I probably should know something about it.

The forecast for crowds in that initial period was set at a number, and revised as regularly as possible I seem to recall, as crowds didn't reach that number on a consistent basis, but anything to do with IIRC must have been after the Northern League season.

Frankly people are working from memory on a subject that they have very little complete knowledge about and by gossiping and naming names are actually reducing the chance of people with knowledge of both the football and business world getting involved to stabilise our club as we move up the divisions.

What this club needs right now is a business brain that incorporates the perspective of a fan, and unfortunately I know that Denis, for one, won't touch the club again with a bargepole due to what he perceives as an inherent criticism of things while the club was under his stewardship at a very difficult time. A shame, but those of you with sharp tongues can thank yourselves for that one and our future is just that little bit less certain in my opinion.

Mistakes were made in some areas I would imagine - no doubt - but knowing him as I do very few requests for funds will have been agreed to without them being fully justified - and to cite Thommo and Tez as examples, these all worked.

People can gossip and supposition can be put together on message boards, but naming people incorrectly is simply wrong.

I say very little on here as I have very little to say, but I read the boards with great interest on occasion. Certain people boil my piss with their statements, while others come across as very thoughtful, articulate and intelligent.

We should all be mindful of where the club is going, and, subject to promotion, next season the management of the clubs finances between the manager and board will be vital in that it needs to find a fine line between pushing the club on, whilst not unnecessarily committing the clubs future down the river. A hard job to handle that one, particular with the gossipers ....

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:51 pm

I think you are slightly mistaken Anthony: IIRC means "if I remember correctly", not Inland Revenue.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what I think might be your misunderstanding :lol: