Dave Mills - Steps down

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Dave Mills - Steps down

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:41 am

Wouldn't some kind of small wage be an idea ? These top positions ask a lot of a volunteer.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:54 pm

I think the job of director / CEO or whatever you want to describe it at any football club is a big ask in terms of time, skills and commitment.

A small wage is unlikely to attract the calibre of person a club going places would need.

Its hard at sub conference level to pay sufficient a wage to attract the right people.

I dread to think how many hours Martin Jesper and David Mills have put in between them in the last 12 months. Even at the minimum wage it would cost the club a fortune to reimburse anyone

TDS

Post by TDS » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks for clarifying Divas.

So ideally we are after an extremely well connected and experienced ex director who we trust and is such a fan of DFC he wishes to give his hard-earned retirement up to what can often be a set of grumpy barstewards? (Let's hope he's/she's not reading this!) :lol:

If we weren't based in the NE, I'd have said there might just be a few candidates lying about. As it stands I'd be surprised if we haven't already burnt through the few willing and able volunteers. I suspect with this sort of thing you get a few speculative applications from the wrong sort aswell!

A wage is a good idea but then you lose the loyalty aspect, we assume the club is in safe hands when no money is exchanged, as they must love the club to do the role in the first place. A rock and a hard place for sure.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:26 pm

TDS wrote:Thanks for clarifying Divas.

So ideally we are after an extremely well connected and experienced ex director who we trust and is such a fan of DFC he wishes to give his hard-earned retirement up to what can often be a set of grumpy barstewards? (Let's hope he's/she's not reading this!) :lol:

If we weren't based in the NE, I'd have said there might just be a few candidates lying about. As it stands I'd be surprised if we haven't already burnt through the few willing and able volunteers. I suspect with this sort of thing you get a few speculative applications from the wrong sort aswell!

A wage is a good idea but then you lose the loyalty aspect, we assume the club is in safe hands when no money is exchanged, as they must love the club to do the role in the first place. A rock and a hard place for sure.
I suspect that the volunteer structure of the club will need to be revisited in its entirety from top to bottom. It was interesting that one of the concerns MJ raised about the move to Blackwell was the rugby club's move to a volunteer basis and how fragile it is. If it is a risk for the rugby club with their limited fan base imagine the risk for a club with our potential at grassroots level. Some good ideas on this thread about remuneration but we can't just look at individual posts in isolation. Do we even have enough volunteers, volunteer fatigue, remuneration, business continuity and general organisation are all questions that need addressing on a much wider scale. To volunteer you have to have the right attutude and more importantly circumstances. Changes in health, domestic and work arrangements can make the volunteer system very risky.

The positive for me is that we still have a "corporate director" role made up of 10 very talented individuals so in essence we should look beyond input from just directors but also the sub-directors, whatever you wish to call them. If we go with a new CEO an important pre-requisite is that post holder must also have "footballing knowledge". The alternative is a committee structure that many NL clubs adopt.