Darlington FC V Whitby Town

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

poppyfield
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlington FC V Whitby Town

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:55 am

I hope this game can go ahead, we need to do everything we can to make it happen, get the covers on etc. make the call early enough to ask for volunteers to help. :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

LoidLucan

Re: Darlington FC V Whitby Town

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:58 am

I don't think volunteers can contribute very much. The pitch is already frozen.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm hoping an evening kick off helps with the pitch situation-thawing and preparation etc.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:10 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I don't think volunteers can contribute very much. The pitch is already frozen.
If it stays mainly cloudy it will slowly thaw, and just become "hard" instead.

Obviously a couple of clear nights will fuck it all up.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:39 pm

LoidLucan wrote:I don't think volunteers can contribute very much. The pitch is already frozen.
Volunteers can help, covers on at night take them off during the day, I have helped in the past with the covers at HP it doesn't take to long to do, just needs about 10 fans to help, we have 3 nights to get through, you have to try.
Covers put on at Bradford Park Avenue v Nantwich Town last night there game is on, a bit effort that's all it takes.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Think it depends on whether it is the whole pitch that is frozen or just the bit in front of the main stand that never gets any sun. If it is just that area maybe we could borrow/hire some industrial heaters, thaw it out then cover the entire pitch.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:45 pm

poppyfield wrote:
Volunteers can help, covers on at night take them off during the day, I have helped in the past with the covers at HP it doesn't take to long to do, just needs about 10 fans to help, we have 3 nights to get through, you have to try.
Covers put on at Bradford Park Avenue v Nantwich Town last night there game is on, a bit effort that's all it takes.
It's OFF

Sat ont shitter

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:24 pm

You need to get covers on before a pitch is frozen. This one is already frozen and there's another freeze-up tonight. Today's Bradford PA game was postponed due to a frozen pitch.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 pm

if we all go out and pinch a pub garden heater each, and place them on the pitch we can keep the pitch warm, and the game can go ahead, simples
lets do it

victor meldrew

Post by victor meldrew » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:30 pm

bertbanger wrote:if we all go out and pinch a pub garden heater each, and place them on the pitch we can keep the pitch warm, and the game can go ahead, simples
lets do it
Im going to pinch a pub beer garden brolly aswell that will keep the rain off aswell :lol:

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:33 pm

good idea

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:45 pm

It looks as if the Whitby game on Tuesday will be a non starter however the rest of the week looks promising. If the rain holds off I think we will actually get a game on.

I wonder if they will schedule a game in for the 26th January?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:57 am

The game must now have a chance, as the weather forecast for Monday night, looks like a minimum temperature of 0 degrees. So hopefully there will be no hard frost to contend with.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:15 am

The frost has thawed considerably overnight and with cloud cover tonight we might have a chance. Will have a look over today.

Nobbylad

Post by Nobbylad » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:29 am

Has anyone actually seen the pitch recently? Just going off the forecast you'd have to be hopeful. A shade above freezing next two days with little or no precipitation. My sons mascot so any information will be greatly received!

micra3

Post by micra3 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:35 am

Agree.
Looks a lot more likely to be on.
M I C R A 3

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:57 am

It's looking more promising that we'll get a game tomorrow, it's not forecast to drop below freezing until after tomorrow's game, hopefully the pitch has been thawing out nicely and continues to do so today

LLB
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by LLB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:36 am

TinShedDarloFan wrote:It's looking more promising that we'll get a game tomorrow, it's not forecast to drop below freezing until after tomorrow's game, hopefully the pitch has been thawing out nicely and continues to do so today
Your game will be on tomorrow. There has not been any standing water on pitch now for nearly a week. Our game on Sat fell victim due to heavy frost. Roll on football at HP again (you tomorrow and ourselves Fri night!!)

Nigel Batches Beard

Post by Nigel Batches Beard » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:10 am

think you're being a bit optimistic - but I hope youre right

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:29 am

LLB wrote:
TinShedDarloFan wrote:It's looking more promising that we'll get a game tomorrow, it's not forecast to drop below freezing until after tomorrow's game, hopefully the pitch has been thawing out nicely and continues to do so today
Your game will be on tomorrow. There has not been any standing water on pitch now for nearly a week. Our game on Sat fell victim due to heavy frost. Roll on football at HP again (you tomorrow and ourselves Fri night!!)
Hi LLB do you know why they didn't use the covers Friday to give your game a chance on Saturday?

LLB
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by LLB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:51 am

poppyfield wrote:
LLB wrote:
Hi LLB do you know why they didn't use the covers Friday to give your game a chance on Saturday?
Didn't know we had any covers....

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:27 am

LLB wrote:
poppyfield wrote:
LLB wrote:
Didn't know we had any covers....
Yea we have used them a few times they are usually kept by the uncovered seating stand, cheers anyway.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:35 pm

the covers are ours, so as a starter I am not sure whether Bishop can just use them. Can't see why we'd say no mind - other than if we believed our game stood more of chance if bishop didn't play.

Aren't the covers for frost rather than rain? Pretty sure we had that debate before?

On top of that it takes a decent numbers of volunteers to get the covers on and off which I am not sure if Bishop will be able to call on at such notice.

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:43 pm

Its meant to drop to 1 degree tonight at bishop but it actually gets up to a scorching 4 degrees tomorrow afternoon. So temperatures are not 'freezing' and wont be before ko. So if it's solid now will it thaw enough tomorrow pm

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:40 pm

I think it'll depend on whether there is any frost in the pitch at the moment, but there must be every chance that the game will get the go ahead.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Just looked over the fence at heritage park ,ground looks dry and solid, if temperature rise is high enough ,we may get the game on.the pitch might have more give in it, than what it looks so fingers crossed for a good dry day tomorrow.and let's get it on.

carlodarlo

Post by carlodarlo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Making my way over from Cumbria for this one, Its bloody freezing here with snow on the ground but I presume its clear and a bit warmer in the north east?! Looking forward to hopefully getting to see a game!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:02 pm

onewayup wrote:Just looked over the fence at heritage park ,ground looks dry and solid, if temperature rise is high enough ,we may get the game on.the pitch might have more give in it, than what it looks so fingers crossed for a good dry day tomorrow.and let's get it on.
According to BBC weather a low of 1 degree tonight and up to 4 degrees tomorrow. Frost won't cause the game to be off and I would assume we should be ok on the waterlogged front.

If we can't get tomorrow on, we might have to give up.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Never ever give up ,if we had done that in 2012,we would not be debating whether this match gets the go-ahead. Never ever give up on Darlington football club ,we fought hard to keep the club in it's present state. :thumbup:

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Agree with onewayup, we should sometimes remind ourselves that our club is the one which came back from the dead. It puts every thing else we moan about in to perspective.