3g pitch

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

meadowlark
Team Supported: Darlington

3g pitch

Post by meadowlark » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:42 pm

I watched the darlo friendly v guisborough yesterday and whilst I appreciated the effort and commitment by both teams I just couldnt help feeling that there was maybe a lack of authenticity (if thats the right word) about the game.
looking back I think it was due to the fact the game was played on a 3g pitch and not on grass. That being the case, I think that despite all the economic benefits of having a 3g pitch and the major reduction in postponed matches it would mean, I would much prefer to watch football on grass pitches and live with the consequences of adverse weather.
I also wondered if the players have any preference for a particular type of playing surface.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Re: 3g pitch

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:01 pm

They cost a bomb to install (hundreds of thousands) and need replacing every 10 years... On the other hand they bring many economic benefits not just postponements but revenue from renting it out.

That said I'd prefer grass...

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:15 pm

There is massive financial benefits to installing a 4G pitch if you can raise the money for the initial outlay.

In the 10 years of operation you will easily recoup the costs.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm

meadowlark wrote:I watched the darlo friendly v guisborough yesterday and whilst I appreciated the effort and commitment by both teams I just couldnt help feeling that there was maybe a lack of authenticity (if thats the right word) about the game.
looking back I think it was due to the fact the game was played on a 3g pitch and not on grass. That being the case, I think that despite all the economic benefits of having a 3g pitch and the major reduction in postponed matches it would mean, I would much prefer to watch football on grass pitches and live with the consequences of adverse weather.
I also wondered if the players have any preference for a particular type of playing surface.
Players would largely not prefer to play on it as it increases the risk of injury.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:58 pm

SwansQuaker83 wrote:They cost a bomb to install (hundreds of thousands) and need replacing every 10 years... On the other hand they bring many economic benefits not just postponements but revenue from renting it out.

That said I'd prefer grass...
Not sure it is that pricey, EE keep telling me they do 4G from £16.99 per month :lol:

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 pm

no it doesnt
Think before posting

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:21 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:no it doesnt

No it doesn't to what?

The price of EE 4G or players disliking plastic pitches?

If it's players disliking plastic pitches - I put up on a previous thread a load of stuff explaining why players DO dislike them!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:25 pm

princes town wrote:
meadowlark wrote:I watched the darlo friendly v guisborough yesterday and whilst I appreciated the effort and commitment by both teams I just couldnt help feeling that there was maybe a lack of authenticity (if thats the right word) about the game.
Players would largely not prefer to play on it as it increases the risk of injury.
There is no conclusive research to suggest that 4G pitches are at fault for injuries any more than grass. However research does show that players who have suffered past injuries in particular knee or ankle ligament injuries are more likely to aggravate these previous injuries playing on plastic surfaces. Players like ledley king and johnathon woodgate have both given interviews saying when the team were training on plastic pitches their respective club physios would not allow them to do so because of their previous injuries.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:45 pm

There are at least 3 longish threads on the subject of plastic pitches.

The thread " 3G ..... A way forward" covers a lot of arguments for and against plastic pitches, and I think it was on this thread that I copied a load of stuff down about why players don't like playing on them.

The other two threads are .....

"Something to think about" and"Artificial pitches"

I'd put up links but don't know how to :oops:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:54 pm

I think that sometime in the future, 4G pitches will evolve, become more commonplace and go down in the cost of installing them. But that's for the future and not now.

bigrichiet

Post by bigrichiet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Bird in club: "What do you prefer Rodney, grass or astro turf?"
Rodney: "Dunno, I've never smoked astro turf"

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm all in favour of 5G pitches personally.
:lol: :roll:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:52 pm

bigrichiet wrote:Bird in club: "What do you prefer Rodney, grass or astro turf?"
Rodney: "Dunno, I've never smoked astro turf"
Brilliant episode :lol:

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:02 pm

Lot of Voodoo talk between physios about plastic pitches?

I suspect Physio multiple injections pumped into unfit players has more relevance to their ability to play on plastic.

Darlo's players train on the 3G at Longfield and they all appear to be physically fit. .

Bishop have a 3G pitch - 3 gallons a square metre.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:24 pm

If we actually had the money to buy and install a 4G pitch (which we dont), it would be an absolute no brainer to get one. The financial and planning benefit of it would be immense.

Anyone who says otherwise is a '' t'aint footy if its not on t'grass '' yokel
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:23 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:Anyone who says otherwise is a '' t'aint footy if its not on t'grass '' yokel
Ever looked round Heritage Park on a match day Dawg ??
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:02 pm

The Big Dawg wrote:If we actually had the money to buy and install a 4G pitch (which we dont), it would be an absolute no brainer to get one. The financial and planning benefit of it would be immense.

Anyone who says otherwise is a '' t'aint footy if its not on t'grass '' yokel
it's football...but not how I like it.

I'd prefer if we could, a Curzon Ashton/Radcliffe style set up with an adjacent 4G pitch but that is clearly never going to happen.