FA Cup

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BaronsCourtQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

FA Cup

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Just tuning in to the Wycombe game and wondered why some teams seem to do so well repeatedly in the cups and we never do.

When did we last make the 3rd round? Am I right in thinking we were in the conference and played Halifax, surely it can't be?

theoriginalfatcat

Re: FA Cup

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:58 pm

I had these thoughts after our superb away win at Blyth - i.e. why can we raise our game and play so well away against them (Blyth) - but fail to turn up at home V Hyde in the "Cup"?

We seem to disappoint every season - apart from the Cooper Wembley win that is. :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mullet69

Post by Mullet69 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:18 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Just tuning in to the Wycombe game and wondered why some teams seem to do so well repeatedly in the cups and we never do.

When did we last make the 3rd round? Am I right in thinking we were in the conference and played Halifax, surely it can't be?
We "reached" the 3rd Round in 99/00 season, by virtue of getting beat in the 2nd round.

Also (I think), we lost to Farnborough at Feethams in the 3rd Round probably 01/02 season(?) - that was the worst because the prize was a trip to Arsenal, which we already knew.
Mullet69uk on Twitter

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:13 pm

The game against Peterborough at Feethams lingers on in my memory. We would have played Newcastle at home if we'd won. This was the game that included Barry Conlon's infamous, ball still in orbit, penalty miss.

The big Man City game previous to this was a classic, 1 all I think.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:27 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:The game against Peterborough at Feethams lingers on in my memory. We would have played Newcastle at home if we'd won. This was the game that included Barry Conlon's infamous, ball still in orbit, penalty miss.

If my memory serves me well we were 2...0 up when we got the penalty, and well in control. And yes most believe the Conlon penalty is still rising..
It just doesn't seem that we will get another top club in the cup.
Does anyone remember Alan (sniffer) Clarke scoring twice against us (might have been the league cup) for Leicester City, They signed him for a record £150,000 and then sold him on to Leeds for about £166,000 shortly after..My memory of it is fading so detail might be slightly wrong.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:32 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Just tuning in to the Wycombe game and wondered why some teams seem to do so well repeatedly in the cups and we never do.

The last time we reached the third round was in 2003, we got beat 3-2 by Farnborough at Feethams and they went onto face Arsenal in the next round. A monumental bollock dropped.

Don't get me started on Conlon's penalty which is still in orbit to this day.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

AlanSprouts

Post by AlanSprouts » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Spot on M.O. Clarke did nowt apart from score those goals. Hence title "Sniffer" I suppose. Goodish crowd of around 13000 if memory serves. I was sat in the West stand with my big brother. Happy days.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:03 am

My opinion wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:The game against Peterborough at Feethams lingers on in my memory. We would have played Newcastle at home if we'd won. This was the game that included Barry Conlon's infamous, ball still in orbit, penalty miss.

If my memory serves me well we were 2...0 up when we got the penalty, and well in control. And yes most believe the Conlon penalty is still rising..
Does anyone remember Alan (sniffer) Clarke scoring twice against us (might have been the league cup) for Leicester City, They signed him for a record £150,000 and then sold him on to Leeds for about £166,000 shortly after..My memory of it is fading so detail might be slightly wrong.
Dead right kid, it was the league cup and my namesake had "Sniffer" in his pocket for most of the game. The young upstart touched the ball three times, scored two goals and brought the save of the match from Tony Moor. :roll:

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:13 pm

Ah yes Villa away as lucky looser, probably the 'biggest' tie we have had in my supporting lifetime, surprised it was that long ago. I still think if we had Marco available for that game we could have won.

I don't recall the Farnbrough game at all, though often can remember going out to Rochdale with Liverpool waiting in the 3rd round. Think Rochdale went on to loose 7-1 at Anfield.

Who knows one day we may get a run.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:59 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:Ah yes Villa away as lucky looser, probably the 'biggest' tie we have had in my supporting lifetime, surprised it was that long ago. I still think if we had Marco available for that game we could have won.

I don't recall the Farnbrough game at all, though often can remember going out to Rochdale with Liverpool waiting in the 3rd round. Think Rochdale went on to loose 7-1 at Anfield.

Who knows one day we may get a run.
The Farnborough game was I think a freezing cold game played on an icy pitch. If its the game I remember Richard Offiong on loan from Newcastle was playing upfront and looked like Bambi on ice.

Fortunately from a media point of view Everton were put out the same day by Shrewsbury and that got all the media headlines about cup upsets

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:48 pm

joejaques wrote:
My opinion wrote:

Dead right kid, it was the league cup and my namesake had "Sniffer" in his pocket for most of the game. The young upstart touched the ball three times, scored two goals and brought the save of the match from Tony Moor. :roll:
No problems with your memory. Flyingdales early warning system was triggered by Conlon. 'Sniffer' Clarke did only touch the ball 3 times and Tony Moor was the first in a long line of great keepers (to be fair they did get a lot of balls to deal with!). My own earliest memory was being lifted over the hoardings and sat on the edge of the pitch when 21,000 crammed in to see Bolton Wanderers (including Nat Lofthouse) nick it. Also was happy to get a ticket for 3rd round v Arsenal as a Christmas present in the early 1960s (although not happy with the result). Who could forget Lance Robson's off-the-ball antics which if repeated today with the current TV / mobiles coverage would ensure a life-time ban?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Think we had about a quarter of the 22000 crowd for that villa game. I hadn't realised until now they went on to lose 1-0 to Chelsea in the final! If only carbone hadn't scored that brilliant goal...catch it on you tube.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 pm

I remember seeing David James in the Villa goal I thought we would never score against him, as he just filled the goalmouth, we did of course. DBTS yes you were right, we did take around 6k to the game.