News from Heart of Midlothian

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Comfortably_numb
Team Supported: Darlington

News from Heart of Midlothian

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:51 am

being based up in Edinburgh now, I spotted this bit of news:

Heart of Midlothian can today confirm the appointment of Martin Jesper to its Management Executive Team.

Coming on board as the club’s Head of Strategic Developments, Martin will assist in the running of the club and planning its future strategy for growth.
Martin held the position of Chief Executive of Darlington Football Club for three years, standing down recently.

He helped deliver fan ownership to Darlington, who are now 100% fan owned.
Well placed to help Hearts plan for its own transition to fan ownership, Martin will drive the club’s relation with the Foundation of Hearts and other supporter groups, as well as representing the club on the SPFL Working Group on Supporter Involvement in Scottish Football.

theoriginalfatcat

Re: News from Heart of Midlothian

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 am

Interesting -- this would be a paid job? Unlike the work he did for us?

Good luck to him.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:21 am

probably, although hearts are well and truly operating with a model which has no rich benefactor. chairperson anne budge did put in some cash a few years ago but think this has been paid off.

Martin may be on a salary but suspect it'll be minimal with it being topped up by commission - so the more money he makes for the jambos the more he gets - I'm guessing here tho.

but it's great to see a team in the top 2 / 3 of the SPL still sticking to a model which is "spend only what we earn". They've not been tempted to dip into spare funds to buy players (don't believe a single penny has been spent on transfer fees in the last 2 years). makes a mockery of Rangers sp-nking money around the place for the last 4 years and they're still in the 2nd tier of football up here.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:01 pm

Congratulations and good on him.

:clap:
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:37 pm

Do we get a transfer fee! :lol:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

johninskopje

Post by johninskopje » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:13 pm

I just loved reading "Darlington Football Club"! Thank you Martin, I think you made sure we were given our real name. Good luck up there!

Oriental Quaker

Post by Oriental Quaker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:18 pm

Maybe to enlighten a few people here.

Hearts are receiving money from FOH to the tune of 8,000 fans on a monthly basis via direct debits, they are playing to a full house of 16,000 fans, they have received a substantial amount of money from Anne Budge, which will be paid back when to this good willed lady so the club can be then called fan owned.

Hearts can be justifiable set as a role model, which we can follow but please note it is hard work and they are readily supported by the 8,000 Friends of Hearts on a monthly basis.

I am a Hearts season ticket holder, a member of the FOH and will remain so, I am also a Darlington season ticket holder and on my last visit to HP spent a substantial amount of money at with the club shop, my son loves to show off his Darlo shirt on a Saturday training session.

We as Darlington fans need to understand that we need to dig deep, both emotionally and financially in supporting the team we love.

It will be hard but it will also be rewarding, we do not have an Anne Budge but we do have a team which deserves our support.

Darlington fan since 1970, ball boy till 1975. Darlington till I die.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:13 pm

nice one OQ - are you based up in scotland or down south?

true hearts had anne budge to help - but also had offers from the usual walter mitty characters.

Anne B will be paid back - but key point is the model is to very live within the means - even a club that size which can attract funds from sole investors wanting control.

Oriental Quaker

Post by Oriental Quaker » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:20 am

Hi CN,

Based in Murrayfield but currently in Shanghai.

It proves that if you live within your means you can survive, new stand will be built at Hearts funded by the fans.

We know we do not have the same fan base but with the fan base we have we should be able to push further up the leagues fining our comfort zone.

It would be nice to have a beneficiary who only wanted to invest for the benefit of the club but we live in a real world.

Comfortably_numb

Re: News from Heart of Midlotian

Post by Comfortably_numb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:41 pm

Nice one. Am in Barnton just now. Good news on the new stand and intention to stay at Tynecastle. Hearts have been lucky with Anne budge - and Craig levein. If only darlo had a millionaire on hand to genuinely lend the club a couple of mil for us to pay back...

We will find our level....I hope long term all of football does likewise...