mr upshall,Dubai

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

mr upshall,Dubai

Post by onewayup » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:00 pm

What is this guy after,is he trying to scupper Darlington fc plans to return to Darlington,I just don't get it,if he wants to help build a football ground then show your interest in the football club by talking to the board of directors,if your not interested then please bugger off and let the rugby club and football club conclude
their negotiations to the benefit of both clubs. Darlington fc need to be back in Darlington a.s.a.p.meddling by outsiders isn't wanted.

divas

Re: mr upshall,Dubai

Post by divas » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Not sure he reads the forum but he did post an email address in the Echo. You might get a better response sending him this via email

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:39 pm

I,m just exasperated at his antics,and mystified as to his agenda.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:38 pm

P.R
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:27 pm

According to the Echo, an e mail address has been left for interested parties to reply to...

darlington@ru-active.com... (i'm sure we've all got questions)

I agree with onewayup's comment..... "if he wants to help build a football ground then show your interest in the football club by talking to the board of directors"

If this spoils the negotiations again between us and the rugby club I won't be best pleased

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:07 pm

Well, I always enjoy a good e-debate so I have emailed said address the below. Apologies for any grave inaccuracies in it, I have not followed this story that closely as I kinda filed it under 'total bullshit', but as referred to above the potential for this to hamper negotiations with DRFC has me somewhat irked.

--------

Dear Sirs,

I read with interest further media coverage concerning a proposed sporting hub for the town of Darlington led my Mr. Upshall. As one of the many Darlington fans who have endured a very difficult time in recent years (in most cases attributed to former owners with, shall we say, ‘limited integrity’) I am naturally concerned as to the nature of these proposals and wondered if you would be so kind as to answer the below questions on the proposals:

1, It would appear that no-one has directly approached the football club to discuss these proposals. As a potential core stakeholder in such plans, what is the rationale for this?

2, What is the motivation for engaging in what is a high risk project which will require significant investment? Why Darlington?

3, Are you able to quantify what you have identified as being ‘inundated’ with messages of support, and what proportion of these have come from fans of Darlington FC?

Any information relating to the above would be greatly appreciated and would address some initial concerns I have observed amongst fellow Darlington fans.

Kind Regards,

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:29 pm

I have also sent mr upshall an email regarding this project,as above post from me.

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:55 am

You might get a quicker response on Twitter ;-)

https://twitter.com/RichardUpshall
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:28 am

*dons mischievous face and takes to Twitter post haste*

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:55 am

It's frustrating that this surfaces again when it seems we are making positive progress on our agreement to share the pitch at BM. One of my main concerns is that in terms of PR this could be negative for the club. Any outsiders who don't know that DFC have nothing to do with this project proposal could just see it as the club being involved with another pie in the sky project just as the Arena was.

Haji el Maveric

Post by Haji el Maveric » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Does he own a chipboard factory by any chance or is he a clone of Ted Forster? Guy sounds a total fantasist. To be given as wide a berth as possible.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:11 pm

onewayup wrote:I,m just exasperated at his antics,and mystified as to his agenda.
so....this guy will be looking at all of this from his point of view and trying to embrace all sports - not just DFC.

but one thing is and always will be true. Entrepreneurs have one primary goal - always - and that's to make money. for themselves. if anyone else benefits along the way, then that gets put in the back pocket and used as brownie points for the next scheme.

if we want to continue to be a fan owned club then we should not go into business with this guy or anyone similar.

more fool those who do....they only need to look at 3 of our recent 'owners' to see the fallout...

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:28 pm

The whole idea of having a stadium owned privately does not appeal to me. We will be effectively at the 'whim' of one man and his companies' performance.

The only way which this would work would be if the land was gifted back to the football club & asset locked. But this will not happen as they want to see a return on their investment.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:47 pm

Amateur rugby and semi-professional football really does not make profit. That is the bit I really can't fathom about his agenda or why anyone would buy into it.

Even if there are sometime meagre profits made, these would instead go to a private individual rather than being re-invested.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:49 pm

lo36789 wrote:Amateur rugby and semi-professional football really does not make profit. That is the bit I really can't fathom about his agenda or why anyone would buy into it.

Even if there are sometime meagre profits made, these would instead go to a private individual rather than being re-invested.
Because they see profit to be made from additional developments on the site.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:Because they see profit to be made from additional developments on the site.
Some commercial elements, which to me would potentially hamper the revenues of football/rugby club ran commercial activity.

Then a load of sports pitches. I always thought these things barely make enough money for upkeep never mind profit to build a stadium on top.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Presumably any profit will come from the retail/business park he wants to build on the same site not football or rugby. DBC have already said this kind of development in this area is not part of their current mid/long term planning strategy and even if they did change their mind there is the small matter of a large water pipe running across the site.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:45 pm

Trying to do exactly what Houghton & Singh wanted to do. Use the sporting club as a bargaining tool to be able to get their hands on some cheap land and then sell on for profit lease.

Even if he did manage it, which he won't, I don't think there's even the scope for that many businesses to want to come on board, especially not in the numbers he's talking about especially given the Feethams development

ishootgigs

Post by ishootgigs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Now I know where I remember him from.

He's the manager of all the X Factor bunch from round here.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... ls-9710414

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:15 pm

ishootgigs wrote:Now I know where I remember him from.

What a random thing to pull out of the woodwork for a first post. An obscure article from the gazette from 5 months ago.

ishootgigs

Post by ishootgigs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:32 pm

lo36789 wrote:
ishootgigs wrote:Now I know where I remember him from.

What a random thing to pull out of the woodwork for a first post. An obscure article from the gazette from 5 months ago.
Lol, don't worry there's no ulterior motive here. I've been a subscriber on here for years but I assume my username has gone inactive. I'm the one who took the pic of the trophy presentation from the crowd in the year we won the NL.

Was just saying, I recognised the guy and that's the first link I pulled outfrom Google which told me where from. I can find a more recent one if you like :lol:

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:31 pm

Back to the proverbial square one?! Hope not! Just does my head in all this, Fantasy football is just not in it.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Millionaires with big plans - it's kind of worrying isn't it.

And let's presume everything would go through smoothly, which is a hard thing to imagine, but - would we be committed in any way? Or do we just rent a stadium, if and when it's built?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:37 pm

.... in my eyes, he is already a troublesome menace to our cause and clearly has his OWN agenda regardless. For the reasons already documented at length, the council has turned down his plans for that sight .... END OF! .....

The fact that he has returned to the public eye with his self satisfying propaganda and "renewed plans" for the SAME site via The Northern Echo (again!!!!) tells me everything I need to know about him ....

Its potentially damaging the progress made in recent days .... and he knows it!!!!!!

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:32 pm

How long would this development take to build ffs? Surely the rugby club weren't letting investment and grants slip through just to entertain this lad? Would be 2 years at least before any football would be played at any development.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:12 pm

"We are not property developers but believe we can create a significant community sports provision that would be privately financed, secure the future of Darlington Rugby Club and open the door for a potential homecoming for the Quakers."

and here was me thinking that we already had a door wide open with one foot across the threshold. What he says sounds less than promising - more like doubletalk, and I reckon it would set back any return to the town at least a couple of years... and into what sort of frying pan we land in is anyone's guess.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:38 pm

For me he and the arrangement and plans he proposes doesn't represent the current ethos we have managed to build as a football club. I'm more than happy to see us stay the course and continue as we are. Its down to us then and no one else.

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:09 pm

GeordieQuaker has asked the questions he wants to on twitter and the answers have been vague but he has not ignored. Ultimately we aren't getting the facts and he is right when he says we can't be adverse to help. We cannot run a club ourselves.

Andrew Wilkinson

Post by Andrew Wilkinson » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:45 pm

TFDM is right. We need to get back to town and then get local business on board via sponsorship. That is the only help we need to take the club forward. What we don't need is grandiose schemes from individuals. We have been there and look where it got us - in the Northern League and homeless. A modest ground at Blackwell with the ground and club run by the town for the town is the way forward. The most stable this club has ever been was a few decades ago at Feethams when local businesses and the fans funded the club. Once that ethos vanished we lost our way. We are working our way back to that scenario. So when any outsider comes along with their dream scheme, our answer should be - thanks, BUT NO THANKS!

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:47 am

Andrew, read Martin Jesper's annual review again.