Grantham match postponed

Posts made by the Official News feed poster will appear here.

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DFC Official News
Team Supported: Darlington

Grantham match postponed

Post by DFC Official News » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:45 am

Quakers’ home game today with Grantham has been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch. The game will be re-arranged by the league. Quakers’ next game is at Barwell next Saturday.
Darlington Football Club
http://www.darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/

Automated news posting service, please do not send PMs.

polarbear
Team Supported: spennymoor

Re: Grantham match postponed

Post by polarbear » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:20 am

just come from spennymoors ground and the pitch is in perfect condition and playable, and our game is on at bamber bridge.
whats going on with bishops pitch, spenny and bishop are 5 mile apart, yet spennys pitch is in perfect condition and playable and bishops is waterlogged

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:32 am

I think we all know what's wrong with Bishop's pitch, once we've had a decent amount of autumn rainfall and its waterlogged once, it struggles to drain until the new year.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:54 am

I thought they were doing the drainage system for this season...

Sat ont shitter

micra3

Post by micra3 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:05 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:I thought they were doing the drainage system for this season...

Sat ont shitter
It was going to be this season but we're still here.
To be done after we leave.
M I C R A 3

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:08 am

polarbear wrote:just come from spennymoors ground and the pitch is in perfect condition and playable, and our game is on at bamber bridge.
whats going on with bishops pitch, spenny and bishop are 5 mile apart, yet spennys pitch is in perfect condition and playable and bishops is waterlogged
... their ground (HP), was built on marsh land ... The built up area that constitutes Sainsbury's and associated car parks etc has merely exasperated the marshy conditions of the surrounding non concreted areas i.e. the footie pitch ... :thumbdown:

The sooner we get back to Darlo's flood plains ... the better .... :D

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:46 am

Can't understand why you'd bother doing a 8:30am pitch inspection. No rain is forecast, there is still some strong winds what can help with drying up of the surface and Grantham is only 2 and a half hours away from bish. Could easily have done this inspection at 10:30 and atleast given the game half a chance

bga

Post by bga » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:06 am

JE93 wrote:Can't understand why you'd bother doing a 8:30am pitch inspection. No rain is forecast, there is still some strong winds what can help with drying up of the surface and Grantham is only 2 and a half hours away from bish. Could easily have done this inspection at 10:30 and atleast given the game half a chance
That's a good point. I guess the ref decided that it was so wet leaving it a couple of hours would have made no difference? I doubt Grantham would have been planning to leave at 8.30 to get there. I guess the club are dammed if they do dammed if they don't.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:11 am

JE93 wrote:Can't understand why you'd bother doing a 8:30am pitch inspection. No rain is forecast, there is still some strong winds what can help with drying up of the surface and Grantham is only 2 and a half hours away from bish. Could easily have done this inspection at 10:30 and atleast given the game half a chance
What a load of crap.We all know that once that pitch has water standing on it,it can take days to drain.This is our fourth season at Bish and I don't think anyone is surprised any more.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:20 am

Darlington RA game also off according to twatter

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:36 am

There's always one whinger who thinks they know better than those carrying out the inspection.

I'll take the word of the trained officials who made the call, over someone who wasn't actually there and probably hasn't seen the pitch.

P.S. Most Grantham fans (albeit few in number) will be coming by road, rather than rail. Have you seen how much a direct ticket from Grantham to Darlington would cost? Even booking in advance would mean the best part of £100 there and back I'd venture. It's £70 one-way for an "on the day" single. And then you have to pay to get to and from Bishop as well.

You'd have to be mad or have money to burn to choose rail over road.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:58 am

Darlogramps wrote:
There's always one whinger who thinks they know better than those carrying out the inspection.

I'll take the word of the trained officials who made the call, over someone who wasn't actually there and probably hasn't seen the pitch.

P.S. Most Grantham fans (albeit few in number) will be coming by road, rather than rail. Have you seen how much a direct ticket from Grantham to Darlington would cost? Even booking in advance would mean the best part of £100 there and back I'd venture. It's £70 one-way for an "on the day" single. And then you have to pay to get to and from Bishop as well.

You'd have to be mad or have money to burn to choose rail over road.
I dont remember ever saying anything regarding trains gramps. it takes about 2 and a half hours to drive past Grantham using the A1, I know I do that drive all the time. So this point makes no sense? You rave about how much train tickets are but claim most will be coming by road.

My point was that pitch inspection times should be based upon travelling times from the opposition town to the ground. If you allow good time meaning opposition fans arrive between 1:30 and 2. Based on this the pitch inspection could be done around 11. Then the decision to postpone is based on real information of what the pitch is like later on in the day, rather than just predictions of how the pitch will develop.

Seems a fairly sensible way to do things in my opinion. But of course, because your word is law to you, I am just a whinger

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:22 pm

JE93 wrote: My point was that pitch inspection times should be based upon travelling times from the opposition town to the ground.
No they shouldn't. It should be a factor, but you also have to consider the weather and what the pitch is like at the time, and if there's a realistic chance it will recover in time. And according to Grantham supporters themselves, there won't have been many making the journey, so it's less of a consideration.

Clearly the officials carrying out the inspection didn't believe the pitch would recover in time. You can sit behind a computer and pull hypotheticals out of your backside if you want, but you haven't seen the pitch. So what makes you think you know best?

JE93 wrote:If you allow good time meaning opposition fans arrive between 1:30 and 2. Based on this the pitch inspection could be done around 11. Then the decision to postpone is based on real information of what the pitch is like later on in the day, rather than just predictions of how the pitch will develop.
Seems a fairly sensible way to do things in my opinion.
It's a very naive way of doing things. Not every fan will set off to arrive between 1:30 and 2. Some will set off much earlier - you can't expect every fan to behave in a standardised way.

And what if the 11am inspection is inconclusive, or there has to be a further inspection? Then you have the possibility of fans setting off, only for the game to be called off.

When fans are travelling a long distance, surely it's best to have as much information as soon as possible.

There have been countless times Darlo fans have made a journey, only for the game to be called off just before kick off (just ask those who went to Kendal, or the Southport fans who went to Gateshead last week).

Put simply, there's no way the club can win in these instances. If they call it off early, people whinge saying "Why haven't you given it a chance?" Call it off late and they're criticised for leaving it too late and allowing people to travel.

And I'll repeat, the officials there at 8:30 today didn't think the pitch would recover in time. It's easy for you to criticise in hindsight, but there's a lot they have to weigh up at the time.
JE93 wrote:But of course, because your word is law to you, I am just a whinger
Grow up. I'm open to discussion and willing to change my mind. But you haven't seen the pitch, so there's no way you can know better than the officials. Yet you're acting as if you do.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

coles

Post by coles » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Personally I prefer the club to make a call early doors at least we were not left hanging around wondering if it would be on. The way the club have done it should be applauded a call made before 9am leaving everyone free to find other things to do as opposed to having everyone hanging about waiting for the on/off call.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Agree with Coles earlier the better then you can organize the rest of your day,i have to rush to finish work in time so knowing it`s off early don`t need to rush

divas

Post by divas » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:06 pm

Yup, spot on, nowt worse than as a fan hanging around to see what's happening and wasting the day.

HurworthMan

Post by HurworthMan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Feel sorry for the fan who travelled from Sweden.
MARCHING ON TOGETHER

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:32 pm

See flashscore has us drawing 0-0 after 31 min

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:34 pm

just changed it now glad I`m not missing anything phew!!!!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:19 am

HurworthMan wrote:Feel sorry for the fan who travelled from Sweden.
Thanks for that. I guess it's hard to pass judgement if we don't know how bad the pitch was yesterday morning. If there was only a little standing water or just boggy, the they should have called for a second inspection. I suspect that Bishop probably wanted the game off, so that the pitch wasn't turned into a mud bath.

LLB
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by LLB » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:57 pm

polarbear wrote:just come from spennymoors ground and the pitch is in perfect condition and playable, and our game is on at bamber bridge.
Not sure what all the fuss is about?!!...we haven't had a single game P-P at HP yet! (Hope I aint just cursed this weeks games)
Brewery Field should never have a problem with drainage given that humungous slope - water should easily fall away off the pitch! :shh: :think: