Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match Thread

Post by divas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Credit for a performance full of effort if not quality today. I'd have taken a draw before the game and once Burgess was injured in the warm-up I'd have been over the moon with the draw.

With the wind to Stourbridge's advantage in the first half it was always a case of get to half time without being behind and we stood a chance. We rode our luck at times as you'd expect with a makeshift defence but we dug in and stood firm.

I guess Gray went with Callaghan at CB in the first half due to the likelihood of Stourbridge using the wind to play balls over the top and him having a little more pace, however Hawley and Richards aren't exactly lightening quick. As expected without one of the pairing being a natural centre back there was little organisation.

Once we'd reshuffled at the break and moved Scott to centr back the whole defensive unit looked a lot tighter with Leon organising very well. Galbraith also won a his fair share in the air and with the midfield briefed to sit deeper and offer more protection in the second half any chance for Darlo was going to come from a long ball or set piece.

Jameson probably just shaded it by virtue of 3 saves, but Scott must have run him close. That tackle in the first half when he came all the way over from LB to stop what seemed like a certain tap in after Jameson parried was immense, and demonstrated exactly why he's s great squad player to have.

Everyone worked their socks off, Portas who maybe wasn't 100% fit always seemed to be in the right place at the right time when there was a bit of pinball in the box, and for a full debut in those circumstances thought Callaghan was solid, especially so when swapped to his more natural LB position, early days but he looks as though he can provide good back up, just a shame we can't find something similar on the right side.

Special mention for the Stourbridge number 5 at LB who seemed to be everywhere at times, and I'm glad they saw a point away to the league leaders as a good result and didn't really go for the jugular in the last 10 minutes.

Bank Top
Team Supported: Darlington FC

Post by Bank Top » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:45 pm

LoidLucan wrote:For me Scott was our man of the match today. Did a great job.
Couldn't agree more, never stopped,never gave up :clap:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:57 pm

Yes thought Scott had a blinder and he made a couple of miraculous last ditch tackles. Thought it was a nice touch when Jameson was awarded the MOTM award, their keeper started to applaud the decision.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:05 pm

divas wrote:Credit for a performance full of effort if not quality today. I'd have taken a draw before the game and once Burgess was injured in the warm-up I'd have been over the moon with the draw.

With the wind to Stourbridge's advantage in the first half it was always a case of get to half time without being behind and we stood a chance. We rode our luck at times as you'd expect with a makeshift defence but we dug in and stood firm.

I guess Gray went with Callaghan at CB in the first half due to the likelihood of Stourbridge using the wind to play balls over the top and him having a little more pace, however Hawley and Richards aren't exactly lightening quick. As expected without one of the pairing being a natural centre back there was little organisation.

Once we'd reshuffled at the break and moved Scott to centr back the whole defensive unit looked a lot tighter with Leon organising very well. Galbraith also won a his fair share in the air and with the midfield briefed to sit deeper and offer more protection in the second half any chance for Darlo was going to come from a long ball or set piece.

Jameson probably just shaded it by virtue of 3 saves, but Scott must have run him close. That tackle in the first half when he came all the way over from LB to stop what seemed like a certain tap in after Jameson parried was immense, and demonstrated exactly why he's s great squad player to have.

Everyone worked their socks off, Portas who maybe wasn't 100% fit always seemed to be in the right place at the right time when there was a bit of pinball in the box, and for a full debut in those circumstances thought Callaghan was solid, especially so when swapped to his more natural LB position, early days but he looks as though he can provide good back up, just a shame we can't find something similar on the right side.

Special mention for the Stourbridge number 5 at LB who seemed to be everywhere at times, and I'm glad they saw a point away to the league leaders as a good result and didn't really go for the jugular in the last 10 minutes.
Yep that pretty much sums it up. Credit to Gray at half time. Of course there were occasions where Scott & Galbraith were caught out but not too often and not too costly luckily.

Whilst I agree Stourbridge were a good team, I don't think they were amazing. I'm not sure what their plan B would be if Hawley and Richards don't hold it up, as they aren't blessed with pace and perhaps that helped us a bit today

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:13 pm

Thought Turnbull had a good game covering at the back while giving something in midfield. Jameson did make some good saves, the pitch played it's part as well, a few times Stourbridge players slipped over in good positions.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:20 pm

What happened to Burgess in the warm-up? Will he be out for long?

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:25 pm

What I saw today was a masterclass of last ditch defending. To be honest I didn't think we would hold out against such consistent pressure towards the end, but the team had the mindset of "they shall not pass" .Scott's goal block in the first half was amazing, preventing a certain equaliser. Stourbridge were very good and we were lucky their finishing was poor at times. We took their recent clean sheet run off them today, and as already said, a well earned point.
Was it just me or was everyone else frozen at HP today?

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:32 pm

Well deserved point today against a plucky side who clearly we're happy heading south with a point. Scott MOM in my opinion. Showed the haters what an all round top bloke he is. Question; where was Watson, has he left? Heard there was some announcement on social media but not seen anything official like.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:Thought Turnbull had a good game covering at the back while giving something in midfield. Jameson did make some good saves, the pitch played it's part as well, a few times Stourbridge players slipped over in good positions.
Agreed he was all over making important tackles/pressure, a very hard earned point if not a little lucky.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Scott was outstanding. Thought Callaghan did well. I bet he hadnt envisaged playing centre half when he signed. Stourbridge looked dangerous whenever they attacked first half, and took some great last ditch tackles and blocks to keep us level. You could tell the front two were league players not that long ago. Their hold up play and interplay around box was very good. However, second half they didnt seem to go for it, and we held on more easily than I'd feared at half time. They will be there or thereabouts at end of season, as will we.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:Yes thought Scott had a blinder and he made a couple of miraculous last ditch tackles. Thought it was a nice touch when Jameson was awarded the MOTM award, their keeper started to applaud the decision.
Nice to hear after the Ashton united performers......great point that when the end of the season comes I suspect.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:Thought Turnbull had a good game covering at the back while giving something in midfield. Jameson did make some good saves, the pitch played it's part as well, a few times Stourbridge players slipped over in good positions.
Agreed he was all over making important tackles/pressure, a very hard earned point if not a little lucky.
When you lose your last remaining centre back minutes before the game I'd like to think you deserve a little bit of luck :lol:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:29 pm

To get a point against one of the division's strongest and most in-form sides is always a good result. To do it with your three senior centre backs missing is even better.

Scott and Jameson were terrific today (anyone who says Scott isn't good enough for this level is clearly an idiot).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

yaccly

Post by yaccly » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:00 pm

I thought there number 5 had a cracking game. Defo their MoM.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Pity about White, the Watson "mystery" and Burgess.

However a good result!

A point saved by hard work, which may prove crucial at season end.

Morale boost today for our part-time defenders, who may slot in again in less positions.

Injured and suspended players returning should build confidence and consistency.

With so many contenders, our promotion rivals may continue to drop points.

We arguably have the best set of strikers in the league, just need the ball.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Quaker Mod wrote:Well deserved point today against a plucky side who clearly we're happy heading south with a point. Scott MOM in my opinion. Showed the haters what an all round top bloke he is. Question; where was Watson, has he left? Heard there was some announcement on social media but not seen anything official like.
And in other news, we've landed on the moon.

Take away the darlo official website posts and probably the next most debated post is about watson :)

TDS

Post by TDS » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:34 am

Stood unbelievably firm today. Brilliant stuff and whilst not enjoyable to watch, it's certainly exactly what we needed.

Watson has left as he's found another club I believe, amazed when people blame the club for his decision to request to leave us came in, people calling Gray etc crazy for "letting" him go. He wanted to leave us, not sure why that means he's gaining hero status lately.

Onwards with a great point, another tough game on Tuesday. :clap:

DiscoDancer
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by DiscoDancer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:45 am

Great backs to the wall performance yesterday in the context of defensive options available. Thought Tez, Scott and Jameson in particular had very good games under considerable pressure in the 2nd half. Really unlucky to lose the last 'fit' centre back in the warm up. If Watson has requested a move then that's perhaps why he wasn't there, it's a shame to lose a player of his ability but if he wants to play regularly then i suppose it can be understood at his age - and it seems Tez will be first choice lb.
I just wanted to mention the bloke stood behind Jameson's goal in the 2nd half: early 60s, grey hair, specs, slightly rotund; well this fella played a blinder too. He barked instruction after instruction to Jameson and the back four as well as during set pieces. He moved defenders around, anticipated danger and must be involved in the coaching in some capacity?? He did as much organising of that defence as any of the players and frankly it was a pleasure to listen to his knowledge. Jameson certainly should have shared his bottle of motm cava with him!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:29 am

Neil Johnson wrote:Pity about White, the Watson "mystery" and Burgess.

However a good result!

A point saved by hard work, which may prove crucial at season end.

Morale boost today for our part-time defenders, who may slot in again in less positions.

Injured and suspended players returning should build confidence and consistency.

With so many contenders, our promotion rivals may continue to drop points.

We arguably have the best set of strikers in the league, just need the ball.
What's the Watson Mystery????

Sat ont shitter

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:48 am

Gobsmacked at one Tweet that I picked and I'll leave the name out to save his embarrassment:
"Happy with a point today against @StourbridgeFC! Decent team! We got more than we deserved tbf! Defence is shocking!! #needsorting"

Clearly one that doesn't keep up with team news nor has any knowledge of which players normally play in which position.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:51 am

DiscoDancer wrote:Great backs to the wall performance yesterday in the context of defensive options available. Thought Tez, Scott and Jameson in particular had very good games under considerable pressure in the 2nd half. Really unlucky to lose the last 'fit' centre back in the warm up. If Watson has requested a move then that's perhaps why he wasn't there, it's a shame to lose a player of his ability but if he wants to play regularly then i suppose it can be understood at his age - and it seems Tez will be first choice lb.
I just wanted to mention the bloke stood behind Jameson's goal in the 2nd half: early 60s, grey hair, specs, slightly rotund; well this fella played a blinder too. He barked instruction after instruction to Jameson and the back four as well as during set pieces. He moved defenders around, anticipated danger and must be involved in the coaching in some capacity?? He did as much organising of that defence as any of the players and frankly it was a pleasure to listen to his knowledge. Jameson certainly should have shared his bottle of motm cava with him!

Love that post

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:05 am

I thought our defence was brilliant yesterday,not just Scott,, Tez and Jamieson but Gibbons and Callaghan as well.
The team had to readjust to help cover for the missing players, and all stood up magnificently in my opinion.
As for Stourbridge, I thought they were the best team to visit us this season, The two up front had me worried every time the ball was with them. Especially Hawley..He was really good at holding the ball up and laying it off to the wings or back into midfield.
Looking back, I am happy with a point from this game and given that we managed to sneak two extra points late on last Tuesday, I think we have had a very positive week on the field

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:54 pm

Comfortably_numb wrote:
Quaker Mod wrote:Well deserved point today against a plucky side who clearly we're happy heading south with a point. Scott MOM in my opinion. Showed the haters what an all round top bloke he is. Question; where was Watson, has he left? Heard there was some announcement on social media but not seen anything official like.
And in other news, we've landed on the moon.

Take away the darlo official website posts and probably the next most debated post is about watson :)
The posts are not clear. I understand he wants to leave. Is he on contract? Has someone put 7 days on him? All very murky like. Any ways not sure we did put a man on the moon but that's for another thread on another day. :silent:

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:35 pm

I've watched two particular incidents from the game over and over and am still a) amazed at Scott's covering tackle in the first half and b) equally amazed that Callaghan was penalised at all, let alone booked, for his tackle. Clearly plays the ball. Full marks for the dive by the Stourbridge player, mind.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:15 pm

biccynana wrote:a) amazed at Scott's covering tackle in the first half
I was hoping for goal cam on it to see what happened properly. The angle of the main highlights looked to me that he just wiped him out!

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Its on the Save Cam that Kev has uploaded onto YouTube

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:20 pm

Hummmm possibly a little bit fortunate there, still great effort though and probably deserted rub of the green for that!