DFC Official News

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

BUSHEAD
Team Supported: Darlington

DFC Official News

Post by BUSHEAD » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:53 am

Nearly 30 on this page alone.

Overkill ?

A daily post (when required) would suffice ?

Yes i know, club cant win regarding communication etc, but gotta be honest i dont care how u12's got on etc
Think before posting

theoriginalfatcat

Re: DFC Official News

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:34 am

When this came up before I wasn't really fussed, but now it seems to be taking over a little and changing the look of our board.

How about a separate forum for these links.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:36 am

It was created to automate a job that was previously being done by hand - so the frequency would be about the same, just with a different name next to all the posts.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:39 am

At the moment, there wouldn't be much on here without them.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:47 am

Stick em all in a separate forum, if people want to read them they're all there in one place.

I could see the logic of having them in here at the beginning as it allowed people to comment on items but all that generally happens is they're ignored and if the story is relevant someone starts a new thread to discuss the news anyway

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:07 am

divas wrote:Stick em all in a separate forum, if people want to read them they're all there in one place.

I could see the logic of having them in here at the beginning as it allowed people to comment on items but all that generally happens is they're ignored and if the story is relevant someone starts a new thread to discuss the news anyway
If you're going down that route you might as well get rid of them entirely, as if people want to read them they can go to the Official Site to read them rather than a subforum on here.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:17 am

Spyman wrote:
divas wrote:Stick em all in a separate forum, if people want to read them they're all there in one place.

If you're going down that route you might as well get rid of them entirely, as if people want to read them they can go to the Official Site to read them rather than a subforum on here.
Personally I've never been on the OS since it launched, I don't ever really see the need. I can see the point of having the update here to promote traffic to the OS in order to maximise potential advertising revenue but I'd be far more likely to go onto a sub forum and be able to quickly cherry pick items rather than regularly go to the OS

It would be interesting to see the traffic stats on the OS and see how many hits are via click-throughs on here

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:36 am

I don't understand what the problem is...If people see something from the official site that they want to read, then it's a simple click away.
If they do not want to read it then ignore it...
Same as any other post really..You read it or you don't...It's not a difficult decision

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:46 am

I guess the point is that some "genuine" threads are easily lost amongst them and that can stifle responses.

Generally all you'll have these days is 2/3 active threads that are debated and kept at the top and the rest slide. Of course that could just be that no one has any interest in commenting on those that slide but for me you never seem to have more than 2 or 3 active threads these days

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:54 am

Going by the views column they look like a lot of folk are generally clicking on them

TDS

Post by TDS » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:57 am

Alternatively, couldn't we move the access to this forum onto the official site, via a tab?

Obviously I know Scott owns this etc but if the issue is monetizing some traffic then this site will be the first port of call for most fans I imagine, I know it is for me.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:30 pm

TDS wrote:Alternatively, couldn't we move the access to this forum onto the official site, via a tab?

Obviously I know Scott owns this etc but if the issue is monetizing some traffic then this site will be the first port of call for most fans I imagine, I know it is for me.
I disagree. One of the reasons I like and use Uncovered more than the official site is because it is independent. You can have free open discussion about the club's affairs.

Putting it on the club website loses that, and creates a whole load of issues. If there are threads which are critical of the club, would the club accept these on their own website?

And some of the more heated discussion can go too far. By putting the forum on the OS, the club is then directly associated with some of the excessive and at times libellous comments that get posted here on occasion.
charlie wrote:Going by the views column they look like a lot of folk are generally clicking on them.
What are the exact stats? How many people are actually clicking on the links to go the OS, as opposed to just clicking on the thread title to get the headline and first couple of lines (as I do)?

And again, that brings me back to my point about independence. If Uncovered is being used by the club to help generate 'clicks' for the OS, can it really be independent?

I really don't want to sound as if I'm being overly critical, because the automated account was set up with good intentions. But people are expressing concerns and maybe it's time to look at if there's a different way of doing it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

charlie

Post by charlie » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:28 pm

In what way would this site not remain independent? This board is full of Darlo Supporters and the threads give the individual reading them the option to get the full story by clicking on the link. It also gives them the option to discuss the contents away from the official site in ways already highlighted further up in this thread. The only reason the official news account was created was because I was doing the job manually so I for one am appreciative.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:39 pm

There were options put forward before, I think darlogramps mention one. A single thread that is stickied which says "Official Sits News" with a summary of the article and a link. You potentially lose the click bait that the title provides.

An alternative for me would be that the 3 latest articles from the club site are added and then deleted if nobody comments. If there are comments and debate around them then they stay.

DG mentions the stats, for what it is worth I don't actually bother going to official site anymore. I used to go on every maybe 3 days and check if there was any news. I don't need to bother anymore I can just come on here and if I scroll through a few pages can see all the articles about all our youth teams posted in the last few hours (joke).

Personally I don't think it matters. This place is pretty quiet nowadays anyway. Darlo_Pete tries desperately to generate debate by saying something ridiculousl, I don't think the DFC news articles get in the way of the actually threads.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:38 pm

I said at the start I wasn't a fan of the official news coming through to the unofficial message board. Not that I think the two are that seperate but I don't see the point in threads where no one comments because the u13's winning a cup match isn't the biggest news.

Some will like it as it saves them reading the official site, personally I have seen it on twitter and read it from the main site before I see it on here.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:52 pm

charlie wrote:In what way would this site not remain independent? This board is full of Darlo Supporters and the threads give the individual reading them the option to get the full story by clicking on the link. It also gives them the option to discuss the contents away from the official site in ways already highlighted further up in this thread. The only reason the official news account was created was because I was doing the job manually so I for one am appreciative.
If the messageboard was on the club website (which was TDS's suggestion), there's no way it could be described as being independent from the club.

I've said before that having the automated account in this form is detrimental to the board.

And to be fair, I don't think anyone on this board asked for an Official News account to be created initially. That to me suggests it's more about generating clicks on the OS than creating debate (which is understandable because it increases marketability to potential sponsors).

If it was just 1st team news (signings, player/manager interviews etc) that would be a reasonable compromise.

But do we really need to be bombarded with youth team cup results/car parking details? If people are that bothered about these types of things they'll go to the club website.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:18 pm

Darlogramps wrote:If people are that bothered about these types of things they'll go to the club website.
No...they make thread on here and whinge about it...

divas

Post by divas » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:41 pm

I guess, ultimately people will vote with their feet (fingers). It's very quiet here these days but I think that was probably the case before the news items cluttered up the front page anyway.

I think Twitter has a big impact, people would rather discuss things with a selected list of people.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:53 pm

The fact that a discussion about what/who is creating threads on the forum is today's most popular topic says it all really.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:32 pm

My opinion wrote:I don't understand what the problem is...If people see something from the official site that they want to read, then it's a simple click away.
If they do not want to read it then ignore it...
Same as any other post really..You read it or you don't...It's not a difficult decision

The board has changed in it's look and feel. It's like the DFC Official news is trying to take it over - that's my opinion "My opinion"

We'll be getting regular updates re the condition of ex manager David Hodgson's teeth if this carries on :crazy:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:35 pm

I'd sooner have official news pop up on here than a roll of honour post.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:42 pm

loan_star wrote:I'd sooner have official news pop up on here than a roll of honour post.

The pointless roll of honour post was (as I remember) once a week.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:44 pm

just 5 or so different posts today about the junior sides, no wonder people are leaving
Think before posting

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:48 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:just 5 or so different posts today about the junior sides, no wonder people are leaving
I'll agree with this, it's ridiculous now.

We don't need to have links about the under 12's on here. If people wanna read about it, they know where it is.

bga

Post by bga » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:26 pm

I agree with Andy above I have no wish to start a thread on here about whether the Under 12s should play 4-4-2 or.....................Something does need to be done to cull a number of these articles as suggested above.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:32 pm

I agree Darlogramps, it would bring in issues in the areas you mentioned. I honestly dont click on them and the board isnt busy enough to be missing genuine posts.

It was said to be instead of somebody (charlie?) Posting herself but if i remember correctly it wasnt news about the under 12s from her.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:26 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
loan_star wrote:I'd sooner have official news pop up on here than a roll of honour post.

The pointless roll of honour post was (as I remember) once a week.
It was once a month, obviously DFC Official News would be top. :D

This is getting ridiculous, perhaps DFC Official News should be banned for a week? :lol:

uncovered
Site Admin

Post by uncovered » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:24 pm

It looks like it's automated. So whatever story they publish on the official site posts a link to it in here. Not a bad idea, but today highlights that this may need to be reviewed.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:34 pm

uncovered wrote:It looks like it's automated. So whatever story they publish on the official site posts a link to it in here. Not a bad idea, but today highlights that this may need to be reviewed.
I think it was a good idea at the time but I think it's taken a bit of the fun out of coming here for me, which was to have a quick look at the top of the board and see what the latest gossip was. I wonder if it's had any effect on the traffic for Uncovered - it seems a lot less conversation is taking place here now.

The magic's gone.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:58 pm

Whilst a good idea in principle, it is clear it is total overkill and is making browsing this site a much less pleasurable experience.

I've logged on a couple of times and quickly left as the front page of threads is rammed with these.