DFC Official News

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

DarloOnTheUp
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DFC Official News

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:43 pm

When DFC Official News starts replying to posts, that's when we should be worried.

But yeah, there does seem to be a ridiculous amount of posts by "it".

Do we really need it at all?

Read More

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:55 pm

We don't need it, nor was it asked for.

The automated account was set up mainly to generate 'clicks' on the website to make it more marketable for sponsors.

I understand that, but as I've said all along, it needed to be reviewed as there were just too many posts about irrelevant things.

And usually if there's a key point or story, someone will post a thread on it anyway, so there's no need for an 'Official News' thread. (For instance, do we need a club website match report being posted if we've got a match thread?)

The intentions behind it are to benefit the club, which is fine but it can't be to the detriment of the board, which is what's been happening.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:04 am

I'll do some work on the bot over the weekend to lessen the frequency with which it posts. I won't be able to turn it off altogether but perhaps all the articles about the youth teams etc. aren't necessary so I can try to filter those out.
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:07 am

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
uncovered wrote:It looks like it's automated. So whatever story they publish on the official site posts a link to it in here. Not a bad idea, but today highlights that this may need to be reviewed.
I think it was a good idea at the time but I think it's taken a bit of the fun out of coming here for me, which was to have a quick look at the top of the board and see what the latest gossip was. I wonder if it's had any effect on the traffic for Uncovered - it seems a lot less conversation is taking place here now.
Traffic on Uncovered has been pretty steady for the last couple of years - while the club are coasting along nicely with no major crises, so does our analytics. There's a bit of a spike around major events, of course - promotion, admins etc. but apart from that it's a pretty straight line.

The introduction of the DFC Official News thing doesn't seem to have made any difference - and I don't have the analytics for the official site to know how many clicks these things are getting.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:55 pm

How about a daily summary?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Do (or can) the posts on the OS be tagged at all, so you can just pick up the ones of greater interest?
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:58 am

I tweaked the logic behind the DON account last night, so it should no longer post any articles related to the unders / youth teams, or the Evo-Stik round ups. This should reduce the posting frequency but keep the articles mainly relevant to the first team.

I'm also aiming to have the prediction league back up to date this week. I promised myself it wouldn't get too far behind this time round but it turns out newborn kids take some looking after (which I should've known from last time, really)

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:19 pm

mikkyx wrote:I tweaked the logic behind the DON account last night, so it should no longer post any articles related to the unders / youth teams, or the Evo-Stik round ups.
:thumbup:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:20 pm

19 threads from DFC offical news on page 1 without a single reply.

Communications good, and yes its hard to get a balance but "jesus christ ray".
Think before posting

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 pm

and 9 with replies.
Think before posting

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:47 pm

BUSHEAD wrote:19 threads from DFC offical news on page 1 without a single reply.

Communications good, and yes its hard to get a balance but "jesus christ ray".
Evidently it was absolutely fine in the month or so before this, since this thread stayed quiet. Looks to have been a busy couple of days on the official site, I can't control how often stories get posted to it...

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:31 am

.... the thing is .... people have stopped writing new posts so the official Darlo posts accumulate side by side ..... when people do write comments or start new posts they invariably get insulted or worse. Like I said on a previous thread ... a lot of people have clearly stopped visiting and/or contributing ... and its not because of the official Darlo stuff .... thats for sure.

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:19 am

It's the way of the world now AIDO - and the web I guess. You have to be a lot thicker skinned these days or do as others do and simply read rather than get involved and post.

Have to say I found the early days of this site more friendly for want of a better world (what was Scott's site called before it was uncovered?)

Posts featuring rumours or off the cuff remarks weren't so heavily scrutinised or challenged. It didn't seem to matter that much.

Just think it's more a reflection on societies use of the web.....pity really. I've learned to be totally indifferent to stuff these days - if someone has a view that rips apart my post here then fine.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:24 am

I don't think anyone looks to rip apart posts - there is often quite healthy challenge of a view with another perspective.

For instance where you say that it is a reflection on societies use of the web, I would say it is simply real life. Challenge and opinion is part of day-to-day working life - I'd find it odd if people just suddenly switched off from it at the start/during/end of the day.

People pretty much always disagree with my opinions, which frankly as a referee I am pretty used to. Sometimes I can back up statements with something substantial other times it is just me on a whim. Not sure why you would ever take it to heart, good debate benefits all.

The worst situation would just be blabber on here of people making nonsense statement after nonsense statement without any challenge. I mean we already have Darlo_Pete and Neil Johnson doing their fair amount of it do we really need more?

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:52 am

To be honest I can get everything I used to get from Uncovered via twitter these days with the added bonus that I can filter it down to people who I actually want to listen to. I can't be the only one who has taken this approach. Throw in the Facebook Tinshed group which is brilliant for nostalgic type stuff (and eaststandbaldie on twitter) then I get a lot of Darlo stuff away from this forum. I think people are perhaps reading too much into it and just need to accept that perhaps people are now getting their Darlo related debates and discussions in different places.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:09 am

Twitter and other stuff have maybe slowed this site down, but personally I still feel that all these robotic posts tend to spoil the look and feel of this board.

Important stuff like "Match Off" is fine but some of the other items take it too far. There must be a way round this. A separate forum ? Is that too easy ??
lo36789 wrote:People pretty much always disagree with my opinions
No they don't, I disagree.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:38 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:People pretty much always disagree with my opinions
No they don't, I disagree.
I was expecting "I disagree, there is no pretty much about it"

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:I don't think anyone looks to rip apart posts - there is often quite healthy challenge of a view with another perspective.

For instance where you say that it is a reflection on societies use of the web, I would say it is simply real life. Challenge and opinion is part of day-to-day working life - I'd find it odd if people just suddenly switched off from it at the start/during/end of the day.

People pretty much always disagree with my opinions, which frankly as a referee I am pretty used to. Sometimes I can back up statements with something substantial other times it is just me on a whim. Not sure why you would ever take it to heart, good debate benefits all.

The worst situation would just be blabber on here of people making nonsense statement after nonsense statement without any challenge. I mean we already have Darlo_Pete and Neil Johnson doing their fair amount of it do we really need more?
I agree with this statement.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:38 pm

The problem seems to be getting worse, of the top 25 threads on here, 15 originate from the DFC Official News. If the ROH returned, DFC Official News would be pushing for top spot.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:50 pm

If the ROH returned interest in this thread would surely diminish.

The Big Dawg

Post by The Big Dawg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:14 pm

If the ROH returns I'll drive to Darlo and throw you in the fucking Skerne Pete
I AM JAZZ MAVERICK

mikkyx
Site Admin

Post by mikkyx » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:The problem seems to be getting worse, of the top 25 threads on here, 15 originate from the DFC Official News. If the ROH returned, DFC Official News would be pushing for top spot.
If you lot talked more then we wouldn't have a problem ;)

divas

Post by divas » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:56 pm

mikkyx wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:The problem seems to be getting worse, of the top 25 threads on here, 15 originate from the DFC Official News. If the ROH returned, DFC Official News would be pushing for top spot.
If you lot talked more then we wouldn't have a problem ;)
:thumbup:

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to just add the account to your foes list if it's that much of a problem?
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:13 am

is it just me, or does there now seem to have Official Darlington threads trailing future threads?

Ie coming tomorrow on official website.... then the next day a new thread announcing that which had been trailed?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Dunno, ask Brad.
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:The problem seems to be getting worse, of the top 25 threads on here, 15 originate from the DFC Official News.
28 on this page now :thumbdown:

Mikky ???????????????????
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Please stop these posts, it is ruining this board.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Earl_Lee_Dawes wrote:Please stop these posts, it is ruining this board.

I'm surprised Scott and co don't act, as the problem is getting worse and slowly fuckingupthisboard.

The robotic postings are taking over - pushing proper posts (us the fans) off onto the abyss of page 2.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Can these threads not be sent to Mikky or Scott first and then they decide whether they should be posted on this board or not?