Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:35 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:Ah, good to see the know-nowts come around again with their standard comments, "we were sh*t", "no commitment" and the standard unnecessary individual criticism of players.

As for the penalty, I was right in front of it, absolutely awful decision. I don't think the linesman flagged, and why should he?

The performance today was frustrating yes, but we will bounce back. I find the comments by some fans more annoying. Like the bloke who shouted at White from the Main Stand, easy to hide behind a row of seats, or alternatively your keyboard.
An assistant referee isn't asked by the referee to come in on free kicks or penalties unless the referee is in an un-credible position and invites him/her to come in. The AR may have thought it was a pen, but unless the ref was unsure he wouldn't have looked to him. That is the way it is expected to be as the man in the middle is expected to be in a position to see things unless it is on his blindside. In fact an assistant referee will be marked down on their assessment if they give a flag for that unless there is clear indication from the ref that he wants involvement.
Lo, there have been plenty of times this season, and in plenty of previous others, where the linesman has flagged for a foul on a player despite the referee going to give it anyway and also with the referee being in a good position.

A good example, from memory, would be when the linesman flagged for a penalty against Galbraith when we played West Auckland in the FA Cup. Youhill was tripped over the other week against Hyde and the linesman flagged, despite it being obvious it was a foul to everyone in the ground.

My point is, is that linesmen sometimes tend to get involved on situations, not just when the referee looks to them or "invites him/her to come in". I do think that if the linesman on Saturday felt it was a penalty then he should have flagged as he was pretty close to it. The lino looked extremely sheepish walking up to the 18-yard box for the penalty, that said it all.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:47 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
i hope the fans around him told the clown where to go. As for the happy clappy brigade, who think criticism is taboo, what is the point of a forum? Three home games in a row we've been poor, people are going to get frustrated. If you disagree with criticism of a player, counter it. On one hand you are telling people not to do it at the game, the next not to do it on the Forum. The playrrs are part time, yes, but the standard they are playing at, they must expect views to be expressed, whether valid or bullshit, especially when youve got 1100 people paying to watch you, not just family, friends and one man and his dog, or two dogs yesterday.
OK there were a few below par performances on Saturday, I'll admit that. But there are ways to go about expressing this. The comments at the match and on Twitter after the game were appalling (such as scapegoating individual players and calling them sh*t). I wouldn't go into someone's place of work and say they were doing a sh*t job if they were under-performing, nor would I expect that to happen to myself. Again, this isn't to say I'm a 'happy-clapper' and the players shouldn't be criticized. but you do question what verbal abuse achieves?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:49 pm

Put it this way. I have been marked down once already this season and twice last for giving a supporting flag.

The only time I should have come in is if the referee was looking to me to come in because he wasn't sure on what he'd seen...not sure why you think I would make this up.

I agree with you about everything else though in terms of comments. As I said before it is the confidence that a 2 foot fence seems to give some people. They soon jump a mile when something is said back to em like.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:54 pm

D_F_C wrote:First Half - we were marginally the better team. I called for Watson at LB and Galbraith in midfield, but knew it wasn't going to happen. Saying that it wasn't Leon's fault we lost. At times he did some good stuff yesterday.

My issues in the second half were the space between the strikers and midfield when attacking. It seemed we just seemed to expect the front two to do something. They were up and down all game. At 70 mins you couldn't tell that it was Marine who'd made a 3 and a half hour trip and played 120 mins against Washington on Tuesday.

Easy to say after the game, but I prefer Hunter at CB. For me Turnbull was the only one to come out of the game with any credit. He made lots of effort in that second half and whilst people were complaining when he was given MOM I expect it's the same people who would react the same to any name that was mentioned, so why bother.

The players will know that they haven't played well enough, they don't need stupid fans reminding them
:thumbup:

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 am

Not going to dwell on the game. Someone said having a week without an evening match will allow them to train and bang their heads together.

Did think we lost all composure when we went 4-3-3. And like others, i would have brought Watson on instead of Scott (who is too much like Turnbull). I however would have stuck Terry on the wing and pulled Thommo into the middle.

Lessons learnt and all that.

Did however want to ask about the lad that was warming up before the game with Mitchell and Nowakowski. He had his laces undone and kept checking his hair. Does anyone know who he is please?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Kit man

Sat ont shitter

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:50 pm

divas wrote:Felt a bit sorry for Galbraith yesterday, few people jumping on him when he made the slightest mistake. Watson leaving isn't his fault.

I personally get annoyed with people singling out players for criticism especially when as yesterday there were so many below par and tactically the manager had to take a some responsibility.

A few mumbles are starting to build around Turnbull, I can see him becoming the boo boy as he's actually brave enough to try and get the ball down and get us playing, yet he always seems to have very few outlets for a pass which means he can end up getting robbed.

It's the first real tough run we've had at home especially and the players will need to have thick skins as unfortunately I think they're going to see a different side from some fans if things continue
Galbraith and Turnbull were two of the only ones to come out of Saturday with much credit in my opinion. Turnbull tries to get the ball down and do things properly, was always positive when he had the ball, but like you say, had very little outlet.

Galbraith tried to get forward and got himself in plenty of space on the left, and again was always trying to make things happen. You could see him getting more and more frustrated as he kept being bypassed.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
i hope the fans around him told the clown where to go. As for the happy clappy brigade, who think criticism is taboo, what is the point of a forum? Three home games in a row we've been poor, people are going to get frustrated. If you disagree with criticism of a player, counter it. On one hand you are telling people not to do it at the game, the next not to do it on the Forum. The playrrs are part time, yes, but the standard they are playing at, they must expect views to be expressed, whether valid or bullshit, especially when youve got 1100 people paying to watch you, not just family, friends and one man and his dog, or two dogs yesterday.
OK there were a few below par performances on Saturday, I'll admit that. But there are ways to go about expressing this. The comments at the match and on Twitter after the game were appalling (such as scapegoating individual players and calling them sh*t). I wouldn't go into someone's place of work and say they were doing a sh*t job if they were under-performing, nor would I expect that to happen to myself. Again, this isn't to say I'm a 'happy-clapper' and the players shouldn't be criticized. but you do question what verbal abuse achieves?
Totally agree, but unfortunately Twitter and the like give imbeciles licence to spout any old crap to a captive audience. It used to be you only heard their bilge if you were unlucky enough to be stood near them at the game. Not all developments are for the best. Hopefully players realise that in a crowd of over 1000, the likelihood is that a proportion will be numpties, and ignore the rants. Or else avoid twitter. Such is our sense of self importance nowadays, that is unlikely though.