Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread

Post by al_quaker » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:58 pm

Disappointing performance and result. Marine were very organised though

We're in a run of poor form - hopefully we can turn it around soon. On the plus side, Gaskell looked like a good player. Didn't really have a chance at goal, but his all round play looked good.

divas

Post by divas » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Key difference between the two teams today was that Marine had a game plan and executed it, we didn't. I really struggled to see what our plan was today and for the last 3 weeks we've looked like a team that doesn't quite know how it's supposed to play. Turnbull always looks to get the ball down and play but often he's on his own in that view and too many players without the ball aren't showing or giving options. There seems to be little understanding between full backs and wingers and the midfield and forward line. You could have sailed the titanic through the space between the midfield and forwards today.

Looks to me like they need to decide on whether they want to pass the thing or go direct and pick up the second balls as they're doing neither at the moment.

Nothing a few good sessions on the training pitch won't fix, and a good injection of Dave Penney's favourite word - tempo.

Gaskell looked tidy though, just a shame no one created a chance for him and both he and Cartman played for 90 mins with their back toward goal or having to come deep into the vacuum of space where the midfield should have been.

offside

Post by offside » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:44 pm

poppyfield wrote:Poor day at the office, got to be said,

My 3 points from that game
1. Scott, sorry but he is not good enough at this level, and more annoying is we have Watson sitting on the bench who can play midfield and is a far better footballer.
2. Hunter is ok defensively , but going forward is woeful, and more annoying is we Mitchell sitting on the bench who can do both.
3. Our captain Burgess needs to be more vocal a bit of encouragement to the team when heads are dropping is sadly lacking.

MG needs to get this sorted, Marine were one of the poorer teams we have played so far and quite simply we should of won.
Totally agree with you Leon Scott is just NOT enough he is a northern league player not evo-stik quality and white is just stupid at times why why push the linesman at the end of the game its just ludicrous is really is

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:54 pm

Thought Scott had a steady away game to be honest, worked hard, tackled but he doesn't offer much attacking wise. Sadly a midfield two of Turnbull and Scott won't support the attack much.

Thought taking off Thompson was mistake but it seems Gray is protecting him, can't argue with that but we were not as good without him. We have been more solid since White went to CB, you just knew one goal would be the difference today and White gave Marine the opportunity.

In regards to the ref didn't think he was great but not terrible to be honest, Marine penalty I can see why it was given, a bit soft but White walked into it. The penalty shout for Darlo, if it was the other way round and was given against us I would have been disappointed.

Sometimes you just have to accept bad day at the office, thought we were slightly the better team first half but second half Marine looked the only winners.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:12 pm

I thought we were piss poor to be brutally honest. To not have a shot on target or make the keeper make a save in the whole 90 minutes is absolutely criminal.
As others have said first half we were okay and matched Marine but we had no idea what to do going forward after 10-20 minutes, the amount of punts up field looking for Cartman and Gaskell was ridiculous. What is it with players, surely after 5 minutes you'd realise it's not working, there defence was winning everything in the air, get at them on the floor and play football.
Take nothing away from Marine they came with a game plan, worked hard for each other and generally looked like a team that give a s*** and wanted to win, whereas we looked the polar opposite, no tempo or urgency to do anything.
We looked devoid of any creativity without Portas, I think Cartman had our only shot of the game in the first half when he fired over the bar. Really frustrating day when really we could have taken at least a point, White didn't have to challenge the lad, he was going nowhere.

A lot of players had a poor day today, we need to buck our ideas up. We move on to another tough game against Mickleover who got a very good point at Workington today
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Criticism of Scott is way over top. Did ok today, but we needed more creativity in centre of park if we were to break them down. We look a better team when we play at a high tempo, which we havent done for a while. We let them play out from back, whilst we tended to rush and get rid. Love Hunter as a defender, but his distribution is awful, whilst I just havent got away with Burgess im afraid. He's ok attacking the ball in front of him, but any mobile striker seems to cause him problems, and you always think there is a mistake in him.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Did Martin Gray talk to the media after the game ??
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Yes, quotes online in Echo already.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:49 pm

Ah, good to see the know-nowts come around again with their standard comments, "we were sh*t", "no commitment" and the standard unnecessary individual criticism of players.

The game was poor, we were below standard. Marine had a very strong game plan and you could see how they have conceded so few goals so far. We did however start the match strongly, but you did feel that Marine were going to come into it at some point.

As for the penalty, I was right in front of it, absolutely awful decision. I don't think the linesman flagged, and why should he? It was ridiculously soft and if you're giving those then the one on Turnbull in the first half and then the handball were dead certs. White was furious, I actually thought the referee had blown for their lad obstructing/handling the ball when he went over. I get the feeling though that the referee felt as though he owed Marine one after waving away the handball on Scott in the first half.

The performance today was frustrating yes, but we will bounce back. I find the comments by some fans more annoying. Like the bloke who shouted at White from the Main Stand, easy to hide behind a row of seats, or alternatively your keyboard.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:32 pm

We were crap, as even Martin Gray admitted himself. It was easily the worst performance in the league this season. It's no good trying to gloss over that. We never tested the keeper and although we started off okay it was pretty much downhill all the way as time wore on. Hopefully just a one-off bad day at the office and I'm sure the players will bounce back. Given the suspensions looming at the back and Portas' injury it may not be the best time to let Ian Watson head off to Spenny just now.

offside

Post by offside » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:03 pm

I am sure people are watching a different game at times on here Leon Scott was absolutely shocking when he came on, the lad hasn't got a clue what to do with the ball when he gets it

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Key points from the game
1) Losing Portas was game defining. So important to the side, he'd grace any team in this league and many above.
2) Scott is a good squad player. Put him alongside Portas he'll look neat and tidy but with Turnbull, neither player can find that killer pass on move into the ocean late like Portas. They're both screeners and Leon is well worth keeping in the fold. Lots of cup games.
3) I thought the new boy Gaskell showed promise, nice touches and was starved if service. Thompson doesn't do it for me.
4) what is our style of play, what is our system? Hoof ball returned today and Cartman and Gaskell won't pick up much from this method of play.
5) another thread asks the question, Villian or Hero, the answer is THICK as far as i am concerned. Warrington away he lost my support. A crucial point in the run-in and he seemed to be more concerned with verbally abusiving the natives than focusing on the game. Mitchell is as bad for dissent.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:43 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Ah, good to see the know-nowts come around again with their standard comments, "we were sh*t", "no commitment" and the standard unnecessary individual criticism of players.

The game was poor, we were below standard. Marine had a very strong game plan and you could see how they have conceded so few goals so far. We did however start the match strongly, but you did feel that Marine were going to come into it at some point.

As for the penalty, I was right in front of it, absolutely awful decision. I don't think the linesman flagged, and why should he? It was ridiculously soft and if you're giving those then the one on Turnbull in the first half and then the handball were dead certs. White was furious, I actually thought the referee had blown for their lad obstructing/handling the ball when he went over. I get the feeling though that the referee felt as though he owed Marine one after waving away the handball on Scott in the first half.

The performance today was frustrating yes, but we will bounce back. I find the comments by some fans more annoying. Like the bloke who shouted at White from the Main Stand, easy to hide behind a row of seats, or alternatively your keyboard.
Yeah and an old bloke shouting at Hunter in the 2nd half your a Disgrace and he heard it and he looked across with bemusement, totally un called for people have to remember these are part time players..

Sat ont shitter

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:40 am

Darlofan97 wrote:Ah, good to see the know-nowts come around again with their standard comments, "we were sh*t", "no commitment" and the standard unnecessary individual criticism of players.

As for the penalty, I was right in front of it, absolutely awful decision. I don't think the linesman flagged, and why should he?

An assistant referee isn't asked by the referee to come in on free kicks or penalties unless the referee is in an un-credible position and invites him/her to come in. The AR may have thought it was a pen, but unless the ref was unsure he wouldn't have looked to him. That is the way it is expected to be as the man in the middle is expected to be in a position to see things unless it is on his blindside. In fact an assistant referee will be marked down on their assessment if they give a flag for that unless there is clear indication from the ref that he wants involvement.

To be fair its not just our fans that seen to think that 2ft fence is an unpenetratable barrier and they can shout or say anything from behind it. If you wouldn't say it face to face to the person then you shouldn't shout it. Have an opinion/discuss say it to your mates around you but the moment you scream it for the person to hear is the moment you have shown off how soft you are, basically hiding behind a fence.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:54 am

Missed the game yesterday, sounds like I didn't miss much.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:24 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Yeah and an old bloke shouting at Hunter in the 2nd half your a Disgrace and he heard it and he looked across with bemusement, totally un called for people have to remember these are part time players..

Sat ont shitter
i hope the fans around him told the clown where to go. As for the happy clappy brigade, who think criticism is taboo, what is the point of a forum? Three home games in a row we've been poor, people are going to get frustrated. If you disagree with criticism of a player, counter it. On one hand you are telling people not to do it at the game, the next not to do it on the Forum. The playrrs are part time, yes, but the standard they are playing at, they must expect views to be expressed, whether valid or bullshit, especially when youve got 1100 people paying to watch you, not just family, friends and one man and his dog, or two dogs yesterday.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:33 am

LoidLucan wrote:We were crap, as even Martin Gray admitted himself. It was easily the worst performance in the league this season. It's no good trying to gloss over that. We never tested the keeper and although we started off okay it was pretty much downhill all the way as time wore on. Hopefully just a one-off bad day at the office and I'm sure the players will bounce back. Given the suspensions looming at the back and Portas' injury it may not be the best time to let Ian Watson head off to Spenny just now.
Maybe this is the opportunity Watson needs to hold down a spot in the team? As long as MG has faith in him to begin with. If so, maybe the transfer request might be withdrawn.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 am

Do you mean play him at right back

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 am

After watching that poor performance Ian Watson must be scratching his head in wonderment how come I cannot get in this team ? .

divas

Post by divas » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:15 am

Felt a bit sorry for Galbraith yesterday, few people jumping on him when he made the slightest mistake. Watson leaving isn't his fault.

I personally get annoyed with people singling out players for criticism especially when as yesterday there were so many below par and tactically the manager had to take a some responsibility.

A few mumbles are starting to build around Turnbull, I can see him becoming the boo boy as he's actually brave enough to try and get the ball down and get us playing, yet he always seems to have very few outlets for a pass which means he can end up getting robbed.

It's the first real tough run we've had at home especially and the players will need to have thick skins as unfortunately I think they're going to see a different side from some fans if things continue

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:39 am

loobyloo wrote:After watching that poor performance Ian Watson must be scratching his head in wonderment how come I cannot get in this team ? .
Because Galbraith had a decent enough game yesterday?

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:37 am

Some of the comments of some fans is mind boggling.One genius yesterday shouting "shoot,shoot" at Cartman when he had his back to goal,two defenders up his arse and was making his way out of the box.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:46 am

Talk about over relations on here. Calm the fuck down.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:23 pm

People need to be more realistic about what they expect now.

The higher you play, the more times you will come across teams like Marine who are good enough to simply absorb pressure or stop you creating anything, with the mindset of "we are not going to be beaten, and if we can nab a goal, even better" and grind out the classic 1-0 away win.

The days of just turning up and smashing everyone are gone. We'll still get good wins, but not as often, and to be honest each good win will feel better because of the more frequent bad results.

To be honest though, I'm perfectly happy to see us at this level for 2 or 3 or 4 years if necessary, so when we go up again we are ready. I don't think crowds will suffer too much more now, because I think we'll always be fighting at the top end of the table at this level.

The hardest part, which was getting out of the Northern League and Evo 1N, has already been achieved. There's no rush for the rest - ie getting back to the Conference or even L2 - because it is absolutely inevitable that we will get back to the Conference at some point, anyway.

The problem here, with some of the fans that are over-reacting to the situation, is that I think they just want to go up and up and up, one season after the next. They want to get back to where we were (and the regular defeats that went with it) as soon as absolutely possible. They are in a rush, so they get frustrated easier. But the thing is, we can't rush this, especially when the stadium thing is up in the air.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:16 pm

AndyPark wrote:Talk about over relations on here. Calm the fuck down.
??????????????

Sat ont shitter

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:05 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
AndyPark wrote:Talk about over relations on here. Calm the fuck down.
??????????????

Sat ont shitter

Andy always makes me chuckle :D Overreactions is the word.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Quakerz wrote:People need to be more realistic about what they expect now.

The higher you play, the more times you will come across teams like Marine who are good enough to simply absorb pressure or stop you creating anything, with the mindset of "we are not going to be beaten, and if we can nab a goal, even better" and grind out the classic 1-0 away win.

The days of just turning up and smashing everyone are gone. We'll still get good wins, but not as often, and to be honest each good win will feel better because of the more frequent bad results.

To be honest though, I'm perfectly happy to see us at this level for 2 or 3 or 4 years if necessary, so when we go up again we are ready. I don't think crowds will suffer too much more now, because I think we'll always be fighting at the top end of the table at this level.

The hardest part, which was getting out of the Northern League and Evo 1N, has already been achieved. There's no rush for the rest - ie getting back to the Conference or even L2 - because it is absolutely inevitable that we will get back to the Conference at some point, anyway.

The problem here, with some of the fans that are over-reacting to the situation, is that I think they just want to go up and up and up, one season after the next. They want to get back to where we were (and the regular defeats that went with it) as soon as absolutely possible. They are in a rush, so they get frustrated easier. But the thing is, we can't rush this, especially when the stadium thing is up in the air.
[Insert 'Like' icon here]
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:25 pm

Sidarlo wrote:Disappointing performance all round.

Marine were organised, but that was it. Didnt think Scott had a bad game really, but we missed Portas. Hopefully it isn't a serious muscle injury, because we are a lot worse team without him.

Thought Gaskell looked ok when he had the ball, but the strikers had very little service all afternoon.
With the early loss of Portas and Galbraith pegged back by a tricky winger the midfield lacked composure. Youhill and Thompson hardly received a decent pass in space. The front pairing were also starved of support and service. Seemed obvious to put Watson on rather than the relatively slow Scott. I suppose Scott was chosen to somehow counter the height of the Marine players. Having Galbraith in midfield should improve our midfield composure. White should be experienced enough not to shove both hands into a wingers back in the box, Even if he stumbled, and to never ever shove an official.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:45 pm

Quakerz wrote:People need to be more realistic about what they expect now.

You're right, but there's no need to over think this one. We've been crap the last three home games in front of very decent crowds, and yesterday we couldn't even muster a single shot on target.

Doesn't matter too much what level we're at, that's always going to lead to some frustration. Would be the same at any club at any level. For what it's worth, I thought the crowd in general were pretty patient yesterday considering how unlikely it looked we were going to see any sort of result.

I did leave on the final whistle though so didn't see any of the after match stuff.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:20 pm

First Half - we were marginally the better team. I called for Watson at LB and Galbraith in midfield, but knew it wasn't going to happen. Saying that it wasn't Leon's fault we lost. At times he did some good stuff yesterday.

My issues in the second half were the space between the strikers and midfield when attacking. It seemed we just seemed to expect the front two to do something. They were up and down all game. At 70 mins you couldn't tell that it was Marine who'd made a 3 and a half hour trip and played 120 mins against Washington on Tuesday.

Easy to say after the game, but I prefer Hunter at CB. For me Turnbull was the only one to come out of the game with any credit. He made lots of effort in that second half and whilst people were complaining when he was given MOM I expect it's the same people who would react the same to any name that was mentioned, so why bother.

The players will know that they haven't played well enough, they don't need stupid fans reminding them