Quakers release two

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Quakers release two

Post by divas » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:10 am

Little surprise, Bell has had little impact and whilst Brobbel may have offered us something, our exit from the FA Cup has meant fewer games and less budget to play with.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:18 am

Two more for Spenny?

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:36 am

They've both been around the fringes of the full-time professional world so it probably says more about the strength of our squad or Martin's needs than their relative playing abilities. Bell's work rate was excellent but it was noticeable his final cross didn't match up to the build up play. T

It brought to mind something an opposing player said to me in the bar that a background in the professional 'development squad' world does not necessarily translate straightaway to the rigours of the grassroots world. It seemed odd thing to say given the relative contrast in technical ability between professional/grassroots but the more I think about it it seems to make sense. There is always a process of adapting, particularly on the physical side of things and there is no standing on ceremony in grassroots football. I'm a bit jaded about novle ideas like academy football. Hence, why I'm glad Martin is looking toward a reserve set up.

In my opinion, Bell definitely has technical ability and I suspect a couple of years in the NL Div 1 or Evostik 1 world with his direct style of play wouldn't do him any harm at all. One of the things I did like about him was he tried to beat people. He is only 20 as well.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:56 am

If anyone wants to know what the difference is go and watch a PL under 18s game. I think my Dad summed it up that if that's what the future of the PL is then he has no interest in it.

The game is basically the most preciousy valuables of the clubs being out on display. The players barely tackle and they pass side to side on perfect pitches for 90 minutes. Any slightly strong tackle and physio darts on the pitch and the player is more often that not removed 'just incase'.

The only thing...when you hear the term grass roots football do you think of our level? I think our level is the semi-professional game not grass roots.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:59 am

lo36789 wrote:If anyone wants to know what the difference is go and watch a PL under 18s game. I think my Dad summed it up that if that's what the future of the PL is then he has no interest in it.
I think "sanitised and devoid of passion" might be the phrase I also used!

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 am

Another 2 to add to the list of players to come from a football league/premier league back ground and fail to make the grade at this level, Only Adam Mitchell off the top of my head has settled in really well. We were alittle heavy on wingers so its no surprise we've offloaded afew especially with Youhill back

DiscoDancer
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by DiscoDancer » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:53 am

Think Brobbel looked a decent player in flashes, put a super ball in for Cartman to score a few games back. Think he needed to contribute to the game a bit more but maybe wasn't working out for both parties. Only seen Bell a couple of times and didn't really get into either game. Best of luck to them - both have plenty years ahead of them.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:30 pm

lo36789 wrote:If anyone wants to know what the difference is go and watch a PL under 18s game. I think my Dad summed it up that if that's what the future of the PL is then he has no interest in it.

The game is basically the most preciousy valuables of the clubs being out on display. The players barely tackle and they pass side to side on perfect pitches for 90 minutes. Any slightly strong tackle and physio darts on the pitch and the player is more often that not removed 'just incase'.

The only thing...when you hear the term grass roots football do you think of our level? I think our level is the semi-professional game not grass roots.
Exactly right,most of the defenders can pass it lovely side to side but couldnt head a ball coming at pace in the air if their life depended on it.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:10 pm

I think both players had something about them but I think the thing I didn't see from either was consistency. Granted that's probably harsh on both (especially Brobbel) given the time they were with us, but I found them drifting in and out of games. I'm sure Martin wants someone who has a big impact all the time.