Update from the Board of Directors

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Update from the Board of Directors

Post by lo36789 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:01 pm

Cost.

Q8Quaker

Post by Q8Quaker » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Talking to an influential member of MPRC recently he told me two things, neither which I can verify but also have no reason to doubt.
Firstly, MPRC finances are in good shape. Mainly because utility and everyday running costs of the Arena site are a fraction of what they were under DFC and also because the major costs of moving and setting up of the new business structure are now substantially complete.
Secondly, when DFC have approached MPRC in the past, the discussions never centred around ground sharing of the main pitch but with the idea of building a smaller ground on adjacent land MPRC acquired from DBC at the time of the Arena purchase.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote: ...The only option it seems is to get the money left by that Bishop fan and get Heritage Park done up....
I do hope that this is a badly worded sentence and not what you actually mean.

I assume you mean that Bishop may be persuaded to use some or all of the money to get the ground up to Conference North standard. However if they were to do that I would expect them to want:
a) a higher rent
b) Darlington to sign a longer term lease than a single season deal

Without these two there is little incentive for Bishop to spend money to benefit Darlington as it will be a long time if ever before Bishop need a ground with such a grading.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Yes that's what I meant, and clearly you understood, so really it serves no purpose to patronise me, apart from to try to make yourself appear clever.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:27 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Yes that's what I meant, and clearly you understood, so really it serves no purpose to patronise me, apart from to try to make yourself appear clever.

I wasn't patronising you! I was far more concerned that if someone from Bishop read the post and sees Darlington fans talking about getting their hands on Bishop's money it would do irreparable harm to the relationship between the two clubs and cause long term problems for Darlington.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Fair enough, but 'get the money ' does not assume that dfc would use it, it could equally mean that Bishop get the money, and use it and I hardly think that one post by one fan would end up with us being evicted (well, unless Ted returned to spout more of his drivel).

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:57 pm

Q8Quaker wrote:Talking to an influential member of MPRC recently he told me two things, neither which I can verify but also have no reason to doubt.
Firstly, MPRC finances are in good shape. Mainly because utility and everyday running costs of the Arena site are a fraction of what they were under DFC and also because the major costs of moving and setting up of the new business structure are now substantially complete.
Secondly, when DFC have approached MPRC in the past, the discussions never centred around ground sharing of the main pitch but with the idea of building a smaller ground on adjacent land MPRC acquired from DBC at the time of the Arena purchase.
If what you say is true, then we've never asked the question then...ie "can we share the Arena please?"

It may be worth asking now, if we need a Plan B.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:04 pm

The whole ongoing saga is pretty depressing and it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel.

footie fan

Post by footie fan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:37 pm

spen666 wrote:
Vodka_Vic wrote:Yes that's what I meant, and clearly you understood, so really it serves no purpose to patronise me, apart from to try to make yourself appear clever.

I wasn't patronising you! I was far more concerned that if someone from Bishop read the post and sees Darlington fans talking about getting their hands on Bishop's money it would do irreparable harm to the relationship between the two clubs and cause long term problems for Darlington.
And maybe it is Bishops plan to improve the ground to conference North standard with or without Darlington playing there Spen :shh:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:08 am

Exactly. Bishop have to spend that money on the ground. Unless they plan on sticking in a heskeylator to get to the bar then you would expect it would be a ground grading improvement.

Of course I assume that 300k is making them some interest at the moment which doesn't have to be spent on the ground! Even an extra 4-5k goes a long way for playing budgets in the NL I'd have thought.

LLB
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by LLB » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:24 am

lo36789 wrote:Exactly. Bishop have to spend that money on the ground. Unless they plan on sticking in a heskeylator to get to the bar then you would expect it would be a ground grading improvement.

Of course I assume that 300k is making them some interest at the moment which doesn't have to be spent on the ground! Even an extra 4-5k goes a long way for playing budgets in the NL I'd have thought.
Don't think we actually get the cash until a few months time.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 am

LLB wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Exactly. Bishop have to spend that money on the ground. Unless they plan on sticking in a heskeylator to get to the bar then you would expect it would be a ground grading improvement.

Don't think we actually get the cash until a few months time.
I would think that legally if the money is earmarked for a specific purpose under a trust, any interest which builds on top of the original amount is still considered to be earmarked for the original purpose and so can't be spent on other things.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:32 pm

According to the statement I received today from the club, they can ask for up to a fifth of the money ring fenced. So in theory we could have spent all the money raised by the 500 club within the next 5 years. The relevant part of the statement is below.

Accordingly, the escrow enables the directors to formally request from the trustees that funds are released from the escrow account to ensure the Club can continue to operate on an ongoing basis and therefore fulfill its intention of delivering a return to Darlington. Whilst doing so, the rights of DFC500 and Vice-President Club members are protected throughout the 5-year term (i.e. leaving funds within the account). Accordingly, the directors are only able to withdraw amounts equating to 1/5th of the funds retained in any one season to represent the value of the season ticket revenue for the particular season in question.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:23 pm

I really want to move to BM work, I honestly think it would be a good thing for all concerned and could lead too the improvement of both clubs and the town in general, I can see more people getting involved across both sports the club house ect ect. I say this when the actual drive to games would then become further for me.

I have to say if we moved back to the Arena under its current guise I just don't think I would be interested any more. I would still go along and attend but have a feeling that after a few games the lack of atmosphere would just make the whole event no longer enjoyable.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:According to the statement I received today from the club, they can ask for up to a fifth of the money ring fenced. So in theory we could have spent all the money raised by the 500 club within the next 5 years. The relevant part of the statement is below.

Accordingly, the escrow enables the directors to formally request from the trustees that funds are released from the escrow account to ensure the Club can continue to operate on an ongoing basis and therefore fulfill its intention of delivering a return to Darlington. Whilst doing so, the rights of DFC500 and Vice-President Club members are protected throughout the 5-year term (i.e. leaving funds within the account). Accordingly, the directors are only able to withdraw amounts equating to 1/5th of the funds retained in any one season to represent the value of the season ticket revenue for the particular season in question.
Yup, it's sensible in order to return the club to a net position each season. The SG have obviously indicated that this is the preferred option rather than cut the playing budget which would have been the only alternative in light of our FA Cup exit.

I'm not overly concerned as I'd hope that all that will happen should the club have to dip in, is that when we eventually do have a signed and sealed plan to come back to the town there'll be an option to extend the 500 club tickets for the number of seasons of which we've had to cover the shortfall, thus topping up the pot to the original amount.

Given the debt is now fully paid off that gives some wiggle room, so I'd hope we'd not have to release all of the ring fenced money each season.

That is of course assuming that the original amount would still cover the proposed move - it's likely it won't as BM doesn't seem overly likely anymore and our plan B will cost considerably more if it's to own our own ground.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:15 am

Unfortunately it is looking increasingly bleak, in respect to a move to BM any time in the near future.

Staying at Bishop longs term, as has been suggested, is surely not an option. Death by a thousand cuts would surely come.

As a consequence of these protracted and shifting negotiations, keeping the club going, month to month, seems once again to have become a reality, in much the same way as 2 years previous.

Talk of DRFC & MPRFC Haemorrhaging money, may or may not be true. Are we rolling in day to day income ? Rent to our landlords is a considerable operating cost. We do not have the luxury of "housing benefit" to fall back on.

Utilising the funds accrued recently, becomes an easy option, indeed may be the only way. That then reduces our ability to finance the future, whatever that may look like, however it has to be back in Darlington.

Return to Arena, you can see that going pear shaped pretty early on, a smaller stadium on a training pitch, very unlikely, a green field in some rural part of town, really.

Not to many options all things considered, and they apparently were, before BM plumped for.

It may well be that the often muted Eastbourne complex could once again be a viable solution. Easy links to outer ring road, available land for car parking on the eastside, slow development possible. On the downside the recent residential development a real drawback. Hindsight a wonderful thing.

Right now, we seem to have stepped back 2 years, not wasted by any means, however not tangibly beneficial. That's why it is important that as many people as possible come up with some kind of alternative, and hopefully one of them will be workable.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:25 am

tezza wrote:Unfortunately it is looking increasingly bleak, in respect to a move to BM any time in the near future.

Staying at Bishop longs term, as has been suggested, is surely not an option. Death by a thousand cuts would surely come.
I suspect we have reached our solid core who I don;t think will be as phased by a 5 year plan at Bishop. The attendances at the bank holiday game suggest Bishop may not be the obstacle first feared. I've never understood why given the distances people travel to work why travelling to Bishop is such a challenge . Also, we simply don't know what the spike in attendances would be if we went to BM. It is largely conjecture and the evidence is largely anecdotal "my mates told me if we moved to BM....." What we do know is that Bishop is obstacle to generating off the field finances.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:37 am

tezza wrote:It may well be that the often muted Eastbourne complex could once again be a viable solution. Easy links to outer ring road, available land for car parking on the eastside, slow development possible. On the downside the recent residential development a real drawback. Hindsight a wonderful thing.
There would be nothing slow about the development required at Eastbourne.

Look Eastbourne basically has a maintained rectangle of grass...that is all it has compared to any other field in town.

There are no changing facilities, there is no structure to the 'ground', there is no clubhouse, there is no perimeter fence, there is nothing there apart from a running track which makes it an even worse proposition than a blank canvas.

I would go as far as to say that Darlington College is better placed as at least the changing facilities are adjacent to the pitch (I think).

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:00 am

So we have ruled that one out and the college in ..whose next

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:10 am

princes town wrote:
tezza wrote:Unfortunately it is looking increasingly bleak, in respect to a move to BM any time in the near future.

I suspect we have reached our solid core who I don;t think will be as phased by a 5 year plan at Bishop. The attendances at the bank holiday game suggest Bishop may not be the obstacle first feared. I've never understood why given the distances people travel to work why travelling to Bishop is such a challenge . Also, we simply don't know what the spike in attendances would be if we went to BM. It is largely conjecture and the evidence is largely anecdotal "my mates told me if we moved to BM....." What we do know is that Bishop is obstacle to generating off the field finances.

I agree entirely with the point you make on BM attendances. Not yet sure we have reached the solid core ? I would rather use the number of season tickets sold as a gauge. You have hit the nail on the head in regard to commercial activity, and given that no club can survive on gate receipts alone, sponsorship would be one of the first cuts.

Seems increasingly likely we are going to have to rely on council assistance , wherever we go, if anywhere.

Not to many new supermarket builds to hang on to the coat tails of. Private investors or sugar daddies not to thick on the ground, still around 13m - 1 for a lottery ticket win ... not a good problem to have, hence no suggestion should be discounted without consideration.

tezza

Post by tezza » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:15 am

"I would go as far as to say that Darlington College is better placed as at least the changing facilities are adjacent to the pitch (I think)."

This is exactly why your view is quite often dismissed by so many on this forum.

Statement of fact .... followed by ... I think

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:41 am

sorry didnt realise this was a facts board...

anyway the reason i say i think is because i havnt been there for about 4 years so the changing room entrance may have moved.

I didn't actually rule the college 'in' either. In fact I don't think it is viable...but from what I remember it has more in place than Eastbourne which for some reasons people feel can easily be converted.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:48 am

As a consequence of these protracted and shifting negotiations, keeping the club going, month to month, seems once again to have become a reality, in much the same way as 2 years previous.

Talk of DRFC & MPRFC Haemorrhaging money, may or may not be true. Are we rolling in day to day income ? Rent to our landlords is a considerable operating cost. We do not have the luxury of "housing benefit" to fall back on.

Utilising the funds accrued recently, becomes an easy option, indeed may be the only way. That then reduces our ability to finance the future, whatever that may look like, however it has to be back in Darlington.

Return to Arena, you can see that going pear shaped pretty early on, a smaller stadium on a training pitch, very unlikely, a green field in some rural part of town, really.

Not to many options all things considered, and they apparently were, before BM plumped for.

It may well be that the often muted Eastbourne complex could once again be a viable solution. Easy links to outer ring road, available land for car parking on the eastside, slow development possible. On the downside the recent residential development a real drawback. Hindsight a wonderful thing.

Right now, we seem to have stepped back 2 years, not wasted by any means, however not tangibly beneficial. That's why it is important that as many people as possible come up with some kind of alternative, and hopefully one of them will be workable.
The other option is to swallow the terms that DRFC are offering. Beggars can't be choosers.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:00 pm

....And that's what we would become beggars, we need a chance to raise income, not just attendances but match day corporate stuff etc. Let the board carry on with the negotiations and be patient and wait and see

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:07 pm

Yarblockos wrote:The other option is to swallow the terms that DRFC are offering. Beggars can't be choosers.
We don't know what the terms are, we don't know whether they are favourable/unfavourable in terms of what we get at Bishop.

Not really just as simple as just "well we don't have a choice might as well just take whatever we can".

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:31 pm

lo36789 wrote:The other option is to swallow the terms that DRFC are offering. Beggars can't be choosers.
Balls to that! A hurried bad deal will come back to haunt us.
tezza wrote:I suspect we have reached our solid core who I don;t think will be as phased by a 5 year plan at Bishop. The attendances at the bank holiday game suggest Bishop may not be the obstacle first feared. I've never understood why given the distances people travel to work why travelling to Bishop is such a challenge .
I would agree with this.

Being at Bishop means many more miles clocked up for me (especially on mid week games) but I still enjoy it as the team is strong and the ground is quite nice.

What would knock attendances down from this point on, is a team that can't compete at the top end of the table - meaning the season starts to slip away.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

darlobhoy

Post by darlobhoy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:01 pm

Unless there's a significant shift in position from DRFC then we definitely need a plan B, and possibly a plan C.

Trike1

Post by Trike1 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:35 pm

What could also cause attendance to drop is winning promotion and not being able to take it due to ground requirements.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:51 pm

darlobhoy wrote:Unless there's a significant shift in position from DRFC then we definitely need a plan B, and possibly a plan C.

Is that speculation or do you know something about the terms?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:11 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:The other option is to swallow the terms that DRFC are offering. Beggars can't be choosers.
We don't know what the terms are, we don't know whether they are favourable/unfavourable in terms of what we get at Bishop.

Not really just as simple as just "well we don't have a choice might as well just take whatever we can".
Fair enough, but if people are serious in saying that playing outside of the town will slowly lead to our demise, then we might have to take their offer sooner or later.

I suppose we need to assess whether we would be better off with larger attendances and reduced hospitality income at BM than we would be staying at Bishop? If so, then moving into BM remains the best option. If our disposable income was sufficient at BM, one option might be to start raising funds so that we would be in a position to buy the ground off DRFC, or move to another venue sometime in the future.