Darlo v Hyde Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TinShedDarloFan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Hyde Match Thread

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:29 am

What doesnt help Burgess is the fact we've been over ran down our right hand side due to Mitchell pushing forward and not getting back, but thats what you get when your playing a winger at right back. Fitness also seemed to be a problem also, once we got back to 2-2 i expected us to kick on and really push for the 3rd, the players didnt seem to have the legs to do it

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:33 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:Fair play to him he was brutally honest, looks like he may be wanted by the old bill the amount of looking around he was doing!

Some of the things he said were fascinating "players only here for the wages" etc ----- re the "amount of looking around" he's probably concerned that someone will attempt to pop a cap in him :silent:
Suppose it is Salford, them boys are wannabe gangsters down there

Beano

Post by Beano » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:00 pm

There is no problem with attacking wing backs but it may necessitate a third centre back or a full time holding midfielder.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:08 pm

If Gray wants the full backs up as high as they have been then he needs to be looking at 3 at the back, to me the problems with Burgess/Hunter is they're being over ran and being caught in covering their own positions but also the positions being left by the full backs being caught up field

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Only looked one winner when we equalised. They seemed to have gone, then we don't give them the ball back from a restart, and they seemed to fire themselves up again. If we had their centre forward, we'd piss this league. Bullied our defenders, was strong, quick, always on the move, and a super finish for his hat-trick. You never thought he'd miss. Did the same last week as well.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:56 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Only looked one winner when we equalised. They seemed to have gone, then we don't give them the ball back from a restart, and they seemed to fire themselves up again. If we had their centre forward, we'd piss this league. Bullied our defenders, was strong, quick, always on the move, and a super finish for his hat-trick. You never thought he'd miss. Did the same last week as well.
Acres of space and getting assists from use does help though.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:47 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Could be worse... just look at the fall-out at Salford after another home defeat. Have a look at this astonishing interview with joint manager Bernard Morley in which he accuses the team of just being a collection of wage packets with no heart and only interested in the money...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w6KNJEJo5A
At least their joint manager had the courage to say something.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:49 am

Neil Johnson wrote:
HarryCharltonsCat wrote:Only looked one winner when we equalised. They seemed to have gone, then we don't give them the ball back from a restart, and they seemed to fire themselves up again. If we had their centre forward, we'd piss this league. Bullied our defenders, was strong, quick, always on the move, and a super finish for his hat-trick. You never thought he'd miss. Did the same last week as well.
Acres of space and getting assists from use does help though.
Didn't matter when we got tight. Don't think we won a thing against him either match. You still have to finish as well.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:52 am

Also think criticism of Hunter earlier on is unfair. Because of his pace, we seem to be using him to cover for Burgess and both full backs. At times, he seems out of position to me because he's anticipating which of the others he's going to have to cover for next.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:37 am

TinShedDarloFan wrote:If Gray wants the full backs up as high as they have been then he needs to be looking at 3 at the back, to me the problems with Burgess/Hunter is they're being over ran and being caught in covering their own positions but also the positions being left by the full backs being caught up field
If Mitchell plays full-back you have simply have to have 3 centre halfs.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:48 am

princes town wrote:
TinShedDarloFan wrote:If Gray wants the full backs up as high as they have been then he needs to be looking at 3 at the back, to me the problems with Burgess/Hunter is they're being over ran and being caught in covering their own positions but also the positions being left by the full backs being caught up field
If Mitchell plays full-back you have simply have to have 3 centre halfs. I can't see any situation where he can be shoehorned into a regualr full-back role. His positive qualities are bombing forward where he is really effective.

On a more positive note I've been impressed with Cartman and Thompson.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:10 am

I’ll start with, aside from the result I enjoyed the game to watch.

I was stood on the grass bank on our left wing first half and didn’t have a great view of their goals nor have I checked out the replays so views are what I was feeling after the game.

Thought we started brightly and couldn’t really understand how we found ourselves 0-2 down, I always felt the way we were playing I fancied us to get goals back. However as with every game I have seen this season I just felt we would be vulnerable at the back and that Hyde would score again meaning we needed 4 to win and that’s how it worked out. I don’t think there needs to be a huge over reaction to these two games. Dowson had two very good chances to win the game.

However the concern with the defence has been there all season, I do not like White up front and not from the off. Yesterday he never won a header and as a result of not being a forward he then just doesn’t offer much else in the build up play for us. Yes he has his moment but I think people are more beneficial to his forward play due to him being out of position, I think you need more from the front and that’s what (on the whole) Army gives to us. I said it early in the season he just seems to be the key to our season at the moment and hope there is nothing more to him missing out.

I’m not sure Mitchel deserves the bashing he seems to be getting I thought he had a decent enough game albeit we were chasing the game form the off so his forward play was required more then you’d like, and I thought he and Bell linked up very well in the first half, the issue though was the final delivery into the box which was not good enough. I’d like to see Youhill get a little more game time, although I don’t think he had an impact on Saturday.

The defence though does need looking at. Were fine when the play is in front of us but all season any ‘hopeful’ ball over the top leaves us looking shaky. If we need to sit a little deeper that may help, if Turnbull needs to sit in more to help cover the two full backs that may help. I doubt we’ll see it but I would like to see White back in there to shore things up a little. As it stands we always need to score 2 goals to stand a chance of wining a game which we can do but it’s a lot of pressure. I’d be happy to see a couple of 1-0 wins over the next few games.

Burgess seems to be coming in for some criticism (heard plenty of people moaning at him strolling back from corners) I don’t though think 1 on 1 he looks too bad, just to me looks like he needs to relax and trust in his own game more. Suffering from trying to fill in for hero Brown.

Players of note on Saturday,

I thought Turnbull had a good game, managed to change the play of attack that little bit quicker and found Thommo on more than one occasion with some great passes.
Thommo, I’m really enjoying his work rate at the moment but would love to see him take the full back on more when 1 on 1.
Cartman, just run’s his socks off every game. Probably my MOM from a Darlo point of view.

Spencer, their centre forward had a great game, aside from his hatrick just caused us problems all game.
Number 4 (Jones), had the beating off White most of the game, and with all his antics he new what he was doing to help try to close the game out.

There were plenty having a go at the ref but I don’t think he got that much that wrong, just probably a little over pedantic for me. When you start blaming the ref it normally means you have not had a good game.

We go again tonight lets hope we see a tighter defence as im sure we’ll continue to score.

Sorry for rattling on their.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:20 am

Watching the highlights looks like the linesman got it correct for our disallowed goal. He missed a blatant foul on Thompson in the build up to their second goal though. We certainly could have had a penalty in the first half for the push on Bell too. I'm not blaming the officials for the defeat - we we poor defensively, but we certainly didn't get the rub of the green with their decisions.

Hopefully we can bounce back tonight. It will be interesting to see what team Gray puts out. It's hardly panic stations - avoid defeat tonight and we go top - but there is plenty of room for improvement. Which in a way is a good position to be in. We haven't hit top gear yet and we are sitting second in the league.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:29 am

I thought the officials got the right decision in the end for the disallowed goal. However you're right, we should have had a blatant free-kick before their second. Thompson gets hauled down by his neck and instead its a throw in to them. Its not the reason for the defeat but the referee was very poor I thought. He should have taken far more action on stamping out the time wasting being done by Hyde. It didn't make the highlights as they were already a bit too long but the play acting by one of their players in the second half was a joke.

Fingers crossed we bounce back tonight.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:53 am

TFDM wrote:I thought the officials got the right decision in the end for the disallowed goal. However you're right, we should have had a blatant free-kick before their second. Thompson gets hauled down by his neck and instead its a throw in to them. Its not the reason for the defeat but the referee was very poor I thought. He should have taken far more action on stamping out the time wasting being done by Hyde. It didn't make the highlights as they were already a bit too long but the play acting by one of their players in the second half was a joke.

Fingers crossed we bounce back tonight.
I don't recall the foul on Thompson to be honest. Though yes fair point on the time wasting, started soon as they scored the first goal. Likewise he could have had a stronger hand on the game on the whole.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:33 am

When we scored that goal in the first half, I didn't celebrate as I thought their keeper had been impeded. The referee had a decent game.