Darlo v Hyde Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlo rabbit
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Hyde Match Thread

Post by darlo rabbit » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:52 pm

Mitchell MOM????
Was his mam the match sponsor
Not all his fault as played out of position but truly woeful in the first half

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:57 pm

darlo rabbit wrote:Mitchell MOM????
Was his mam the match sponsor
Not all his fault as played out of position but truly woeful in the first half
He was decent going forward but out of position a few timres defensively, probably what you would expect as a winger playing at RB and we seem desperate chasing the game.

The amount of times first half and 2nd half we had 2 at the back against 2 attackers. Defensive mistakes cost us but Hyde stretched themselves but managed to take enough chances.

njb

Post by njb » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Not good enough Gray refusing to speak to the Echo for the second game running. Surely the fans have a right to understand his thoughts when we lose not just when we win, poor judgement on his part

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Gray has done excellent to date, however failing to bring in a natural right back and another forward is ultimately going to cost us. Armstrong is not fully fit and if he has a setback or gets another injury we will be in trouble.

Last week we never won a header and today was no different. For me Dowson should have started with Cartman and tried to get at them on the deck like we did in the second half. Youhill should have had a start today to see what he could offer as Bell as failed to deliver so far.

With other results going our way it's not the end of the world let's put it right on Monday.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:16 pm

That was very poor, the defence may as well have been on holiday today. White should not start as a striker, he is far more influential if brought on with 30 minutes left, against a tiring defence. Fair play to hyde who looked a decent outfit today, but to be honest anybody half decent could have beaten us today.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Defence again not good enough. Starting to become a worry. Other than that we did OK - we were on top for a lot of the match, but we got cut open far too easily on the break. I'm intrigued to see what was wrong with the goal which was disallowed.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Report now on official site. http://darlingtonfootballclub.co.uk/dej ... e-to-hyde/

Another disappointing afternoon. The defence just looks all over the shop at times, hasn't been many games this season when we haven't looked vulnerable at the back.

I know the defence has been changed, but White coming back in to partner Hunter has to be an option even if Burgess is the captain. We looked the better team going forward, but gave ourselves too much to do in the second half

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't think Gray will change his defence or change the use of White currently until we have another option, speaking of Nowokowski when will he be back.

Whilst disappointed I don't think we need to be panicking after 2 defeats, we got beat by a team who knew how to put us under pressure but left themselves open, we just managed to help them out by making individual mistakes again.

Things generally evolve over time with Gray rather than losing a couple of games and then changing lots of things.

Felt sorry for Portas at the end, he went straight off afterwards, I know his mistake largely cost us the 3rd goal but he needs to get over that as early as possible.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:43 pm

I thought the subs were a little strange today, bringing Galbraith on for his deliveries but took our biggest ariel threat off, Youhill should be given the chance aswell, so far the likes of Bell and Brobble have failed to perform, Youhill brings in pace down the wing and a mixture of crosses, not to mention he links up well with Cartman

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:44 pm

After all the hard work in getting back on level terms, we should never have been caught on the break in the way we were at the death. A bit of discipline and organisation was lacking and we should have made sure we kept things tight. Other results meant the damage from the result was limited but it's a shame as the point we had battled so hard to get a hand on would have taken us top.
The defence is a much weaker unit than last term even given that the standard is higher. Until it is sorted, we'll continue leaking in this way. It's a bit alarming the way a simple lofted punt over the top of our defence seems to leave us flat footed. Workington used the same tactic against us to good effect.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Just watched the goals again, the defending and positioning for all the goals is horrific. We need White back in defence on Monday to sort out the organization and bark the orders out,Burgess has not been good enough.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:22 pm

quakerste wrote:Just watched the goals again, the defending and positioning for all the goals is horrific. We need White back in defence on Monday to sort out the organization and bark the orders out,Burgess has not been good enough.
It's an idea, although it won't happen.

Obviously down the line or if White got injured what do we do then. We have a back 4 that hasn't played together that much and certainly one or two performances have been disappointing but sometimes you have to give things time and let lads learn from mistakes.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:21 pm

Clearly the highlights don't show how shaky we were at other points but I am struggling to lay blame at the feet of Burgess or Hunter for the goals.

The first was another Jameson kick. I have said this at least 3 or 4 times this season now. Jameson's kicking is too short and too central it puts us in danger.

The second was quite a poor initial header but actually thought it was Bell and Watson who had the best chance to put their foot through it and they didn't. The final goal - Portas.

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:28 pm

It just seemed too easy for Hyde to score, I was behind our goal in the first half and the inevitability of each goal was gut-wrenching as again and again our keeper was left on his own. Others have already said that our defence was on holiday, I would say they were caught flat footed by Hyde's speed. I would add that we passed a lot of clever balls out to the wings, but most of these promising moves broke down and the incisive runs and crosses that should have followed, just didn't seem to happen. There was no-one taking the game by the scruff of the neck (as with Ramsbottom who were far better than Hyde) and there were never long periods where we were in control.
Interesting to read the comments from Tony Moor in today's programme. Had he, Peverell and Keeble still been around they would easily have seen off everything that went in the back of our net today. And how we are missing Gary Brown.
There was much huffing and puffing as usual, but no cohesive team action, too many of our players watched instead of getting stuck in and we got what we deserved; a good Hydeing.

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:29 pm

I said it before a ball was kicked this season; we need full backs!!!!

We will play worse than we did today and win. No crisis yet! Teams losing around us.

In Gray we trust.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Compared to Hyde our midfield and defence appeared to be running with lead boots on, they appeared so much quicker and fitter. At times our tracking back and following the runner was appalling we just let them run straight through us.

The defence has taken most of the criticism however our midfield doesn't offer much protection getting caught out of position far to often.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:07 pm

quakerste wrote: The defence has taken most of the criticism however our midfield doesn't offer much protection getting caught out of position far to often.
It's an interesting point. The case for Adam Novakowski seems to be growing when he is fit. There is a strong case for 5-3-2 for me given the way Mitchell and Watson play the game. White is an absolute certainty to be playing defence on Monday.

For me Cartman was MOM today.

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Its difficult after 2 games like that to give a balanced view. Very disappointing. Some of my own thoughts:
- Burgess - decent player, not a leader (at least right now). Bring White back into defence. Hunter seems lost without him.
- As already mentioned midfield is not protecting the back four. Playing with 2 out and out wingers almost every game and Portas/Turnbull is great going forward but doesn't offer that shield.
- White if not at the back should be a late option from bench. Don't know what Dowson has to do to start.
- Right back - defended Mitchell/Gibbons previously but it starting to become a worry.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:22 pm

princes town wrote:
quakerste wrote: White is an absolute certainty to be playing defence on Monday.
I would be very suprised if White came in to the centre instead of Burgess or Hunter at the moment.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:01 pm

lo36789 wrote:Clearly the highlights don't show how shaky we were at other points but I am struggling to lay blame at the feet of Burgess or Hunter for the goals.

The first was another Jameson kick. I have said this at least 3 or 4 times this season now. Jameson's kicking is too short and too central it puts us in danger.

The second was quite a poor initial header but actually thought it was Bell and Watson who had the best chance to put their foot through it and they didn't. The final goal - Portas.

The first goal (from what I saw of it, up at the other end) was similar to one of the conceded goals from the Blyth game. Jameson doesn't take enough time and care with a kick out, and the ball comes straight back at us.

He really needs to get this sorted - Hyde's goalkeeper on the other hand had no issues in this department.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:09 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Jameson doesn't take enough time and care with a kick out, and the ball comes straight back at us.

He really needs to get this sorted - Hyde's goalkeeper on the other hand had no issues in this department.
I would disagree here, the Hyde keeper did quite a few dodgy kicks too.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:33 pm

Jameson was forever shouting highline and that seems to be the problem when they were quick to exploit the space behind maybe we should sit back a bit and hit teams on the break

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:12 pm

Jameson's kick for their first goal was woeful, I know the ball came to him awkwardly, but he should have done better than he did.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:26 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
The amount of times first half and 2nd half we had 2 at the back against 2 attackers. Defensive mistakes cost us but Hyde stretched themselves but managed to take enough chances.
I just cannot believe MG has allowed that to happen again. At times last week Mitchell and Watson were playing like wing backs and leaving us 2 on 2 and it's happened again, surely, especially as we were playing 4-4-2 the full backs need to be told to defend as once you get 2 on 2 with Burgess and Hunter we know what inevitably happens.

I don't think we've showed Hyde enough respect in either of the 2 fixtures.

coles

Post by coles » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:45 am

Just watched the goals from yesterday terrible defending all round. The second goal highlighted some lazy defending from Burgess. He has gone out wide with their no 9 who laid the ball off the winger over hits the cross and after a few weak clearances it is played across to the no 9 who is in acres of space to slot home.

The annoying thing is that burgess is still walking into the box whilst his man is 10m away from him. Thus would not happen with Whitey or Browny in there.

Burgess is club captain and twisting about negative comments doesn't cut it with Darlo. He needs to realise at Darlo the recent successes have created a level of expectation (rightly or wrongly) he is filling big boots and for me needs to step up to the plate.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:50 am

I'd not seen any comments from Burgess but I presume that was on Twitter?! If so he needs to close his account and ignore things if that's his attitude which seems the polar opposite to Gary Brown who always knew when the team hasn't performed and was to first to apologise and demand better

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:18 am

Could be worse... just look at the fall-out at Salford after another home defeat. Have a look at this astonishing interview with joint manager Bernard Morley in which he accuses the team of just being a collection of wage packets with no heart and only interested in the money...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w6KNJEJo5A

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:38 am

Fair play to him he was brutally honest, looks like he may be wanted by the old bill the amount of looking around he was doing!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:11 am

divas wrote:I don't think we've showed Hyde enough respect in either of the 2 fixtures.
I don't either - and fair play to Hyde. They came up looking for the win and even at 2 all, they took the gamble and went for the 3 points. At this point they could of closed up and gone for the draw, but we could of done that!!

I reckon their manager took a look at our team and thought "Hmmmmmm no Armstrong, but White up front, we know we can handle that - and we also know from last week that Darlo's defence is a bit out for lunch when put under pressure, so let's go for it - let's go for the win"

I think I'm right in saying that Hyde were in the Conference recently, they are obviously a goodish team who've had a poor start to the season, I expect to see them rising up the table quite rapidly.

Gray should of changed it more from last weekend, and playing White upfront from kick off doesn't work, mind you there's a lot on here saying exactly this.

The loss of Armstrong seems to be causing major problems.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:23 am

Bogratsteve wrote:Fair play to him he was brutally honest, looks like he may be wanted by the old bill the amount of looking around he was doing!

Some of the things he said were fascinating "players only here for the wages" etc ----- re the "amount of looking around" he's probably concerned that someone will attempt to pop a cap in him :silent:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!