Ryu Williamson

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarryCharltonsCat
Team Supported: Darlington

Ryu Williamson

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:33 am

Saw on NLZ that he scored for Norton on Tuesday. Does that mean he's back in the fold?

AndyPark

Re: Ryu Williamson

Post by AndyPark » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:46 am

I'd heard he was released by Chesterfield. Can't imagine we'd go back for him.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 am

AndyPark wrote:Can't imagine we'd go back for him.
Interested to know why you rule it out so flatly? I mean given we are so well stocked with strikers that we've been playing our centre back up front. I wouldn't rule out that he ends up back in our youth/reserve team though (which playing for Norton he basically already is).

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Just my opinion, obviously that's not allowed on an Internet forum.

I don't think he'd offer anymore than what we have already. Whitey has been used as a targetman, something that Dowson isn't. Hence why White has started before him.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Williamson would still have been with us had Chesterfield not made an approach. He looked very good against New Mills. We'd be daft not to have him back.

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:52 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Interested to know why you rule it out so flatly? I mean given we are so well stocked with strikers that we've been playing our centre back up front. I wouldn't rule out that he ends up back in our youth/reserve team though (which playing for Norton he basically already is).

Don't know how all this works, but I notice that none of our ex youth players are registered as on loan at Norton.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:01 pm

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Don't know how all this works, but I notice that none of our ex youth players are registered as on loan at Norton.
A player would only be registered as 'on loan' if he was contracted to another club. As far as I'm aware, if a player isn't under contract he can register to play for as many clubs as he likes as long as they are in different leagues.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:17 pm

AndyPark wrote:Just my opinion, obviously that's not allowed on an Internet forum.
No it is - I was just interested to know what lead to that opinion really.

I actually didn't think he would be coming back as a first teamer for similar reasons to yourself he the small man to a big man (Purewal/Armstrong) and we already have Cartman/Dowson for that.

That said, I do kind of follow HCC's perspective that had he not gone to Chesterfield he would have still been in our 'reserve' set up (he was u10s when I was u18s so I think he is too old for the youths now).

As a result you would expect he could come back to a similar position - and by virtue of playing for Norton he pretty much has.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:32 pm

My thought would be he gives you a lot more pace than Cartman or Dowson, and seemed to like to run at defenders, so a different option to the pair.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:50 pm

I think if you gave anyone a shot it would be Matty Pennal, I'm surprised MG hasn't looked to bring him back across given our shortage of strikers. He played well against New Mills last season and would give us something different. Looks like he's been in the gym over the summer too as he looks to have bulked up a bit
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:18 pm

quakersam wrote:I think if you gave anyone a shot it would be Matty Pennal, I'm surprised MG hasn't looked to bring him back across given our shortage of strikers. He played well against New Mills last season and would give us something different. Looks like he's been in the gym over the summer too as he looks to have bulked up a bit
Agreed on this Sam

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:00 am

To be fair, Williamson stood out more against New Mills. They seemed to have a good understanding that day, so will be interesting how they get on together at Norton. You've seen more of them obviously Sam, so how would Pennal give us something different? In the admittedly few games I've seen him, he seems a Dowson type player. Doesn't look a player who will make a goal out of nothing for himself, but works hard, is good in the air and a decent finisher.