Salford sign 3 new players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

My opinion
Team Supported: Darlington

Salford sign 3 new players

Post by My opinion » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:32 am

It seems that the Salford management were not happy with their teams start to the season..They have already signed 3 new players from higher up the leagues.They include former poolie player James Poole.
The otherside of it is that 2 players have left including Phil Dean who has joined Trafford.
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/salfordci ... 85222.html

Neil Johnson

Re: Salford sign 3 new players

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:13 am

Hopefully panic buying.

Same Poole that was LB in our juniors?

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:01 am

My opinion wrote:It seems that the Salford management were not happy with their teams start to the season..They have already signed 3 new players from higher up the leagues.They include former poolie player James Poole.
The otherside of it is that 2 players have left including Phil Dean who has joined Trafford.
Phil Dean too good for Trafford. Without knowing personal circumstances he'd be worth bringing up here.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Quaker Mod wrote:
My opinion wrote:It seems that the Salford management were not happy with their teams start to the season..They have already signed 3 new players from higher up the leagues.They include former poolie player James Poole.
Phil Dean too good for Trafford. Without knowing personal circumstances he'd be worth bringing up here.
Do we really want a Salford cast off?

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Depends on if they were good. You're being a right plank lately what with wanting the kids shot for being in the goalmouth again etc...
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Depends on if they were good. You're being a right plank lately what with wanting the kids shot for being in the goalmouth again etc...
Lately? It's well-known Pete is as thick as two short planks.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:50 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quaker Mod wrote:
Hi Pete, so in your view; who the selling club are should be a consideration for our transfer policy? Players from Harrogate are okay but not any North East rivals? FCUOM are fan owned so they're ok? But not not a player from a promotion rival?

Personally, I believe our transfer policy should be that if a player is available and will add to our already talented squad then I see it worth making a move to see if the said player would be interested in joining us. For me Philip Dean falls into that category of player.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:46 am

Is Phil Dean's move to Trafford even permanent, from the wording on the article is doesn't seem so.

Looks as though Salford will continue to throw money at a problem.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:45 am

Quaker Mod wrote:Personally, I believe our transfer policy should be that if a player is available and will add to our already talented squad then I see it worth making a move to see if the said player would be interested in joining us. For me Philip Dean falls into that category of player.
Phil Dean has been at Ramsbottom, Salford and has now moved to Trafford. That tells me he lives and works around Manchester. At this level you pay expenses for players for matches. So in this scenario we'd likely be paying for him for every game as he wouldn't join the team bus from the north east for away games and he'd be travelling a couple of hundred miles for every home game.

That is why we have what 3 players now making their way from Harrogate, not that 2 of them have had much luck with injuries!

There was a bit difference with Mota, from what I understand he actually moved to the North East as he was just at Uni in Manchester so it didn't really matter where he lived - he just commuted there on the days he had lectures.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Apparently Salford's travelling army of 13 "Ultras" made all the difference in getting them over the line yesterday with a wall of noise. I've noticed a pattern emerging in Salford's start to the season. They scrape a narrow win and accuse their nasty opponents of play-acting in an attempt to get innocent Salford players booked and sent off. A draw will do nicely when they host Blyth on Tuesday.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Quaker Mod wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quaker Mod wrote:
Hi Pete, so in your view; who the selling club are should be a consideration for our transfer policy? Players from Harrogate are okay but not any North East rivals? FCUOM are fan owned so they're ok? But not not a player from a promotion rival?

Personally, I believe our transfer policy should be that if a player is available and will add to our already talented squad then I see it worth making a move to see if the said player would be interested in joining us. For me Philip Dean falls into that category of player.
As Lo has pointed out, is it realistic to expect to sign a Manchester/North-West based player?

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Quaker Mod wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Quaker Mod wrote:

As Lo has pointed out, is it realistic to expect to sign a Manchester/North-West based player?

Apparently so, as Lee Gaskell's move demonstrates. Again, I know what I'm talking about. Don't ever underestimate the pull this club has. There's a difference between playing for a club with history and the opportunity to play in front of four figure gates in comparison to crowds of +200.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:59 pm

Quaker Mod wrote:Apparently so, as Lee Gaskell's move demonstrates. Again, I know what I'm talking about. Don't ever underestimate the pull this club has. There's a difference between playing for a club with history and the opportunity to play in front of four figure gates in comparison to crowds of +200.
I am surprised, I'll admit that assuming if there isn't any more to it.

I have no idea what Gaskell's work or current residence is though. If he is based out of greater Manchester then I'll admit I was wrong.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:05 pm

He's an electrician and I can't see him locating. He'll be commuting without a doubt

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:06 pm

yeh but where does he actually live? I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsbottom had players based around Bradford/Leeds maybe even Harrogate - but obviously I have no idea where Gaskell is from.

Very different to Phil Dean who based on his previous clubs, and his accent, I believe is firmly in greater Manchester.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:03 pm

lo36789 wrote:yeh but where does he actually live? I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsbottom had players based around Bradford/Leeds maybe even Harrogate - but obviously I have no idea where Gaskell is from.

Very different to Phil Dean who based on his previous clubs, and his accent, I believe is firmly in greater Manchester.
Manchester

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Can't remember him from the Ramsbottom home game but by all accounts he sounds like a good player and should be a useful addition to the forward line.

However I can't quite get my head around signing a Manchester based player. Its a proper trek up to the NE for at least one training session per week + games on top of (I assume) a full time job.

To justify this we must be paying him a decent wage. Given we have 3 good forwards already, restricted income due to stalled BM move & as things stand aren't eligible for promotion at the end of the season it seems to me like a signing we don't need to make.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 pm

He's just bought a new 4 series beemer so that should get him up here quickly lol, can pick Cartman & Youhill on the way up

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:11 pm

I think it was a signing we needed to make. Purewal is still out long term and it'll be a big surprise if he's back and playing regularly before Xmas, Dowson is likely to be out for a few weeks, Nowakowski is still getting over a very serious injury and needs a lot of time, Thommo may be out for a bit and Armstrong has probably been pressed into action far more than he should have been out of necessity. He's done a fine job with Cartman but we need back-up.

We can't just say we may not be eligible for promotion so there's no point in going for it and spending extra on a new signing that's clearly needed. We've got to make sure we've got the tools to be the best we can. MG works to a budget and this is clearly within that. It's been really difficult recently and White, Youhill and Portas have all been pressed into striker roles at certain points because we've been so stretched. And that was far from ideal.

I'm quite sure Gaskell's location will have been fully discussed and arrangements are in place to make sure he plays a full part in the set-up. I also think you'd be hard pressed to find a forward who's not under contract and who has such a good goalscoring record under his belt. He knows what's involved travelling wise and MG does also and clearly that's been sorted. Hell, for most of our away games Gaskell will probably have far fewer miles to travel than the rest of our players.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Robbie Painter wrote:To justify this we must be paying him a decent wage. Given we have 3 good forwards already, restricted income due to stalled BM move & as things stand aren't eligible for promotion at the end of the season it seems to me like a signing we don't need to make.
Disagree. We SHOULD be doing our utmost to push on. The biggest danger (I.M.O.) is diminishing crowds, and they will diminish if fans get the feeling that we're just ticking over.

We have to keep the steamroller on full steam.
Bogratsteve wrote:He's just bought a new 4 series beemer so that should get him up here quickly lol,
Seriously nice motor !!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:55 pm

I see the trouble that seems to follow Salford around happened again yesterday. Down to nine men against Frickley and Anthony Johnson was thumped in a dug-out bust-up that has now seen the departure of Frickley’s assistant manager James Dudgeon who was said to have thrown a number of punches.
Salford have also signed yet another striker (on loan), 6ft 5ins Sefton Gonzales, which I think brings the number of forwards there to seven. It brings their squad up to 26 at the last count. They are also after another Ramsbottom player to complete their demolition job there.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:45 am

I couldn't give a toss who they sign, I only care about our club and we need to keep momentum which will keep fans interested in how our club is doing,we have no control with anything any other teams do.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Quaker Mod wrote:
Brian Atkinson has recently followed him on twitter if that means anything....

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:43 pm

Any chance that one of them is Bell? Or anyone else who is not properly cleared would be nice...