Workington v Darlo Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Workington v Darlo Match Thread

Post by divas » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:04 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:worrying that Salford and Blyth have got off to a flier.
Someone was going to get off to a flyer, that's how it works. Anyhow, Salford are only 2 points better off than us. Blyth know this league inside out and have built a team over many seasons at this level, funded by some good cup runs.

Promotion this season isn't essential, let's just enjoy the ride and see what happens.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:05 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Listening to the commentary, they seemed to be on top in the second half and we didn't seem to create much at all. Another goal from a counter attack a bit worrying, will be interesting to see how Gibbons played and see what MG has to say but that's 4 goals conceded in 2 away games. Bell seemed to have some pace about him and would be interesting if MG plays Youhill on the right instead of Mitchell and have 2 quick wide men. Cannot fathom out why Watson is not getting a game, seems like once Gray leaves you out your days are numbered, really hope this isn't the case as he has never had a bad game yet. The goals have dried up for Thommo and Armstrong and Cartman cannot be expected to hit the net every game. Just my concerns, but plenty of time to get things right but worrying that Salford and Blyth have got off to a flier.
We need to be realistic. This is a jump in standard and we should still be up there anyway.

And besides, there is NO rush for another promotion while we are in ground limbo.

Let's not forget that we CAN'T be promoted at the end of this season anyway, unless we can guarantee to have a conference north graded ground in place by the March of next season. Without that, we would be denied.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Wasn't there. But listening to the radio it sounded like we experienced the same issue as On Saturday. In that, when Army went off, the pressure built on the defence.

Not the end of the world. Workington will be up there. And this is all part of the learning curve. I think the majority of us are happy with a period of acclimatisation. We're not far off. and one thing we know is Gray is ruthless when it comes to bringing in the right players.

On to Saturday

DiscoDancer
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by DiscoDancer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:25 pm

2 decent wins against very average sides and 2 narrow defeats to sides which may well be top 6 or 7 at the end of the season. This gives a useful early indication. How did MG reshuffle the defence after after Galbraith went off? As Quakerman2 said, where was Watson, injured? Could have slotted into lb. Blyth look like they have started with a bang and Monday will be a real test.

Twintowers

Post by Twintowers » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 pm

A lot of puzzlement in the stand tonight about the Watson situation.Galbraith off after 5 minutes and Gray puts Scott on,who is nowhere near the left back Watson is and the lad didn't even make the bench.Bound for pastures new I think because he certainly doesn't seem to be one of the managers favourites,unlike Thommo who was poor tonight but you can bet your arse he will start on Saturday.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:27 am

Disappointing to lose to a breakaway goal but it was certainly well taken. Up to that point it sounded like we matched Workington and were unfortunate not to get a point. This is a new league and is certainly a big step up from the last one and to lose away to a team who finished 2nd last year is certainly no shock or embarrassment. Would have happily taken a point before the game especially for a midweek away game, never going to be easy for part time players.

Maybe if Galbraith has taken a knock we might see Watson in the starting line up for the next couple of games, I agree that he is a better LB than Scott.

Looking at the positives, Armstrong got another well taken goal which will do his confidence a lot of good. Bell seemed to come on second half and was very bright and gave their defense a run around. Plus looking at the bigger picture by the end of August we will have completed 3 away games against sides that i think will be in the top 7 (Buxton, Workington, Colwyn). We need to pick ourselves up again ready for Saturday and get a good result both remaining fixtures in august are tough but we are good enough to get results at this level.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:29 am

Twintowers wrote:A lot of puzzlement in the stand tonight about the Watson situation.Galbraith off after 5 minutes and Gray puts Scott on,who is nowhere near the left back Watson is and the lad didn't even make the bench.Bound for pastures new I think because he certainly doesn't seem to be one of the managers favourites,unlike Thommo who was poor tonight but you can bet your arse he will start on Saturday.
No puzzlement from me. Scott can cover two positions, LB & centre mid, versus just one for Watson so is ideal to have Scott on bench. Fully expect Watson to start on Saturday if Galbraith is out.

I don't get this focus on Watson from a lot of our fans, he is a good player but Galbraith has been excellent at LB over the latter part of last season & start of this so Watson has had to wait for an opportunity. Now its up to him to take it.

Tommo had a decent game, worked hard off the ball, set up our goal and almost scored in the second half.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:55 am

In one way I enjoyed the game last night, intense, tough and felt like a proper game. The days of turning up and expecting to win have gone and we are in the world of normal football now, where it's a challenge and a point away from home against good teams is a good point.

Overall Workington probably just about deserved the win although with 10 mins to go and 1-1, a draw was there for us and we would have earned it. Perhaps we were pushed too far forward and maybe Gray/Team need to close a point out in some games, not what we are all used to.

In regards to Watson, I rate the lad but can understand Galbraith starting ahead currently especially after last 2 performances, his dead ball skills, his height and to have a left back on the bench can be a waste of a sub. This however does leave us with a problem of keeping a part time footballer happy and at the club, which we will struggle. Choice is Gray's really on whether he wants to accomodate Watson or not, we will lose a good player but we do still have a good LB.

Worst thing about last night that we had seen out Workington's 1st half pressure and were matching them possibly looking a little more likley to score, hit with the sucker punch of a a goal.

Bell looked like he has some potential on the wing and I would like to see Youhill get some game time now he is back fit. Same problem though was clear last night when Armstrong tired/came off we lose that physical presence up front. I guess Nowokowski would be filling that gap and coming on as sub if it wasn't for his injury.

Still on to Colwyn Bay on saturday for the next one.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:11 am

As per usual super_les has it spot on :thumbup:

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:47 am

Yep. Spot on. We aren't far away from the level we dropped from and its no longer a case of rolling up and dicking teams six or seven. Its hard work now. Like Quakerz has said, there ain't a rush this season anyway but we are finding our feet.

I honestly thought we were worth a point last night. First half they were the better side and had a few decent opportunities. Jameson was hard done by for the goal. The ball took a deflection from the cross and then another after the shot to wrong foot him. Armstrong again is massive for us. After he went off we seemed to lose our focus a bit going forward.

Second half was a tighter affair. We maybe even shaded it. Thompson forced a good save from their keeper. He had a decent game for my money. Put the cross in for the equaliser. We were a tad naive in the closing stages. We tried to push on and got done on the break. Hopefully we'll learn when to settle for a draw and just whittle down the clock instead of chasing it.

Like super les though I actually enjoyed last night. It wasn't a bad game of football.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:22 am

I think we deserved a point last night, we played better in the 2d half, and got hit on the break, with a fantastic finish from the Workington lad.
Just a quick word about our fans which turned out in good numbers yet again, the majority get behind the team, but there is a small group of people who seem to never stop moaning and perhaps pick on one or two players who may be having an off day, remember I don't think any player will lift his game if he hears verbal abuse, they are all trying their best, sometimes they make mistakes, don't we all at some time?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:15 am

Didn't deserve to lose last night, they caught us on the counter attack when we pushed men forward.

Thought it was a very good game, and both teams played good football.

Onto Saturday now, up the Darlo.

shawry

Post by shawry » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:08 pm

Not too stressed about the result, as long as we are competitive, and it sounded like we were.

As Quakerz has alluded to, the ground is probably the single most important thing we have to sort now.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:58 pm

Not got too many complaints about the result last night, although they got a touch of good fortune Workington were probably good value for the win.

They are one the better teams in the league and they showed why they came so close to winning it last season. They were very strong and well organised and always looked dangerous going forward, they were up and at us from the word go. They dominated the midfield for the majority of the game we were second to just about everything, their opener looked more like an own goal for me, definitely took a wicked deflection off a Darlo player (Gibbons?) on the way in? But their lad is welcome to claim it!

We responded well after going behind getting a quick equaliser through Army and then nearly taking the lead think it was Army again who hit the cross bar. But that was probably our best spell of the first half I was happy to go in at half time at 1-1 and would have taken a draw there and then.

Second half was very much the same, we had a couple of good spells and went close ourselves a couple of times but in all honesty they always looked more like scoring, it was a sucker punch in the last 10 minutes when we looked we were going to take a well earned point out of it. On the balance of play I'd say Workington deserved it but I thought we'd done enough to at least get something out of it.

I can't see too many teams going to Borough Park and getting a result, all this talk of promotion is very, very premature as has been said above we have stepped up once again and we are having to learn on our feet about this division. It's a long season and the games are coming thick and fast already there really is no time to dwell on it, two interesting games coming up at Colwyn Bay who overturned a two goal deficit at Salford last night and in form Blyth on Monday!
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:16 pm

robsraiders wrote:I think we deserved a point last night, we played better in the 2d half, and got hit on the break, with a fantastic finish from the Workington lad.
Just a quick word about our fans which turned out in good numbers yet again, the majority get behind the team, but there is a small group of people who seem to never stop moaning and perhaps pick on one or two players who may be having an off day, remember I don't think any player will lift his game if he hears verbal abuse, they are all trying their best, sometimes they make mistakes, don't we all at some time?
Particularly, irritating given the player in question was responsible for our 2 best moments of play. Deeply annoying.

I also can't beat the earlier threads as regards the game and have no doubt that Workington will be at least a top 6 side. I thought they took us apart a bit in the 1st half and it pays us a lot of credit that we hung in there. I'd caution that with some concerns about defensive vunerabilities - too many through balls and looking a bit square. There again credit to Workington who worked some very good angles of play. I do wonder if Scott would give us a little bit more shape in the middle where there seemd to be largish gaps at time. Thankfully, 2nd half was a tighter affair, our defending tightened up considerably and maybe we just shaded it. There are games that you look back on that appear relatively humdrum but later on in the season take on a much greater significance. i suspect this is one of them. It was a really good battle and I suspect a very high quality game. Turnbull had his best game yet.

There is no solution to the watson situation, a player I like a lot, except to say that when he has his chance he should take it. I guess it is a bit similar to the lad Siddle the cricketer for Australia. Unfortunately, I don't think it will get any easier as Bell looks another good turn. Tired a bit late on but technically very good. By all accounts he wasn't far off signing for Doncaster at one time. Looks a decent turn.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Bell only came on second half so hope he wasn't overly tired.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

olrad

Post by olrad » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Talking to a couple of workington fans during last nights game......thought we are a decent side but nothing special....were suprised at how often jameson lumped the ball forward ( and often out of play) only played the ball short once if i remember correctly...and were suprised that we continualy lumped the ball forward from all over the pitch, even when we had taken off Armstrong as when we played on the floor we looked much more threatening.....i couldn't offer up to much in the way of an argument with any of their observations and had to concead that they had deserved the victory...

TDS

Post by TDS » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Thought we were unlucky as the injury to Galbraith disrupted us when we were getting a hold of it, Leon is not mobile enough to be at LB. A few points that stood out for me were, as has been said, we looked second best to everything last night in the centre, Turnbull hasn't done anything of note and the freekick where he blasted it over to Thommo to win in the air was a sign of frustration, Portas seems to be holding his own at this level though and showed signs of threatening them.

Tough conditions to play in and they scored a great second, Bell had a good 10 mins then looked shattered, maybe not played much recently. Questions marks over Gibbons too for me, physical enough but fears having possession at times.

Cartman also worked hard but had no angle on their big defenders and this can occasionally leave him ineffective, be great when Purewal/Nowakowski's back. On to the next.

TS3

Post by TS3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:12 pm

TDS wrote:Thought we were unlucky as the injury to Galbraith disrupted us when we were getting a hold of it...
Both away defeats have followed an early injury to a member of the team leading to enforced changes.

I know we shouldn't plan for such things, but we don't seem to be able to cope with substitutions (we even have trouble at home with planned changes to the team)

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:05 pm

TDS wrote:Thought we were unlucky as the injury to Galbraith disrupted us when we were getting a hold of it, Leon is not mobile enough to be at LB. A few points that stood out for me were, as has been said, we looked second best to everything last night in the centre, Turnbull hasn't done anything of note and the freekick where he blasted it over to Thommo to win in the air was a sign of frustration, Portas seems to be holding his own at this level though and showed signs of threatening them.

Tough conditions to play in and they scored a great second, Bell had a good 10 mins then looked shattered, maybe not played much recently. Questions marks over Gibbons too for me, physical enough but fears having possession at times.

Cartman also worked hard but had no angle on their big defenders and this can occasionally leave him ineffective, be great when Purewal/Nowakowski's back. On to the next.
My opinion for what it's worth was that we did not cope with their pace and movement from midfield...They won most of the second balls as they were on their toes (probably as instructed and similar to us against Spennymoor second game of last season).
Bell did well when he came on but is not yet up to full fitness...He did make 2 or 3 lungbusting runs up the laft but they do take it out of you, and if your not up to full fitness they will hurt...Looking forwad to seeing Ypuhill doing the same on the other wing as he destroyed Salford last season with his pace and movement.
Cartman for me was MOM with his selfless running. He is a very good and intelligent footballer..If we can get the midfield to close in to him and Army when we play the ball forward we will click.
Thought the way Workington linked up with there forwards was very good, especially in the first half.
For me, this season will be all about establishing ourselves..learning how the league is and hopefully having a cup run in one of the two main competitions