Workington fc

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Kentquaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Workington fc

Post by Kentquaker » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Not a statto by any means but I remember going to a Workington away match in 1976 and I think we came away with a 3-2 victory. Not sure if this was the last time we ever played them or not, my forty year recollection is somewhat rusty. Perhaps someone more informed could enlighten me.

Neil Johnson

Re: Workington fc

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:44 pm

I remember a 0-0 (1970/71) there when Workington were propping up the Football League.

Park fencing around pitch. (Watford had same on entering league years later)

Our Supporters Bus windows were half bricked in their parking area / slum clearance dump.

Diversion to hospital for patching up some fans on way back.

Happy days!

Town was a beer desert on my last visit 12 years ago.

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:07 pm

Kentquaker wrote:Not a statto by any means but I remember going to a Workington away match in 1976 and I think we came away with a 3-2 victory. Not sure if this was the last time we ever played them or not, my forty year recollection is somewhat rusty. Perhaps someone more informed could enlighten me.
You are indeed correct, last time we played Workington was away, 9/4/77 and a 3-2 win. (Also won at home 3-2).
Team: Ogley, Crosson, Cochrane, Walker, Craig, Nattrass, Lyons, Rowles, Seal, Ferguson, Young.
Goals: Rowles, Craig, own goal.
Attendance 1,305

We won 6 out of the last 7 times we played.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Kentquaker

Post by Kentquaker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks MP. Looking at that team it makes you wonder why we were so bad in those days. Barry Lyons, a fantastic midfielder, Eddie Rowles, I remember him getting over twenty in one season and stalwarts like Clive Nattress, ah the years are falling away as I reminisce.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:11 am

My main memory if Workington back then was the stake and wire fence round the pitch. Akso, as I used to hith-hike thousands of miles to away games back then, the area was a transport desert. Think I ended up walking about the last six miles to the ground. :roll:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 am

Workington-I'm sure I read somewhere that they acquired the old Feethams floodlights/towers etc.

If that's right, those that go will see them in action--again!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:52 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Workington-I'm sure I read somewhere that they acquired the old Feethams floodlights/towers etc.

If that's right, those that go will see them in action--again!
I think just the pylons are in use - a bit cut down from what I can tell from photos I've seen.