Darlo v Barwell Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MikeinBlack2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Barwell Match Thread

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:55 pm

FT:3-1
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:56 pm

FT 3-1 Thanks for the commentary lads. :D :clap: :roll:

SPD.52

Post by SPD.52 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:58 pm

YEAHHHH - Come on Darlo

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Well done lads can`t wait to get back off holiday for Blyth game

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:00 pm

darlo reborn wrote:Well done lads can`t wait to get back off holiday for Blyth game
That'll be a tough one.

Darlobaz79

Post by Darlobaz79 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Blyth beat Buxton 1-0 and have won 3 from 3 so far

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:26 pm

We're in 6th place after today's games:

1. Skelmersdale Utd
2. Blyth Spartans
3. Rushall Olympic
4. Salford City
5. Nantwich Town
6. DARLO!
7. Buxton
8. Ilkeston
9. Matlock Town
10. Ashton United
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Enjoyed the game a great 3 points, I did think MG made the subs a little early imo.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quaker0006

Post by Quaker0006 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Very impressed with Burgess today MOTM for me easy

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:44 pm

Agree, Burgess was hugely impressive today against a very tall forward line

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Happy with that win. Good to get another 3 goals and to see Armstong and Cartman both scoring. Certainly think Portas should be aiming for doubt figure this season now Turnbull has freed him to play further forwards.

Too early to be looking at tables yet but we have a very tough three fixtures in 9 days. Workington away, finished 2nd last season. Colwyn Bay, one of the longest trips of the season and freshly down from the league above. And Blyth whove won 3 out of 3. 6 points from 3 games is a good start to life in the league above but think the next 3 games will give us a good indication as to how strong we really are.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Good three points against a Barwell side who were organised if not great going forward.

Turnbull coming in appears to really have freed up Portas. He took his goal very well today, never looked like missing once he went clear.

As JE93 says, really tough week coming up, hopefully we can get two positive results before Blyth on Bank holiday monday

divas

Post by divas » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Another good workmanlike performance today, taking our chances (most of) when they came along.

I can see Portas costing me a fortune in goals this season at this rate. He needs to give Dowson and Purewal some tips on finishing one-on-one's after that. Didn't break stride and knew exactly what he was going to do.

My only concerns at the moment are:

The right back spot - Gibbons has looked okay, but in the two games he's not really been tested and has made the odd lapse that a better team may have capitalised on. I'm sure he'll improve but I can see it costing us before then.

Our temporary lack of fit, physical forwards. Over the last 3 games it's been apparent how we've struggled when we've not had one on the pitch. Armstrong is probably a few weeks away from competing 90 mins at full tilt and White isn't the answer. Again against better teams we're more likely to be punished. I wonder what the prognosis on Nowakowski is, otherwise we could do with trying to bring someone in temporarily.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Not quite sure why Watson or Galbraith could not play LW/LM & Thommo go up front as a temp fix, I understand Youhill was training today so maybe stick Thommo as AM when he returns with 2 wingers

Various options that might be better than White up front

Darlo_Rob

Post by Darlo_Rob » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Has there been any update of Nowakowski's condition? I was told at Tuesday nights match he would be out for 8 weeks, whether that's true or not I'm not sure.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:55 pm

Darlo_Rob wrote:Has there been any update of Nowakowski's condition? I was told at Tuesday nights match he would be out for 8 weeks, whether that's true or not I'm not sure.
Multiple fractures to the cheek or eye socket I thought I read on Twitter

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Agree completely Divas. Dowson and Cartman up front together isn't going to work. Thommo up there isn't the answer either. We need a big man. (Ooh err). The lack of a holding player cost us the goal, and nearly the game. We have the players. They're just injured. Which means anyone we bring in would be temporary. Hatch would have been perfect. But I expect Gray will be talking to the youth set up at the stadium of light.

Cartman played well again. Portas was great. Turnbull's best game so far. I like his constant talking. He's more understated than I was expecting. Thommo wasn't bad. But he seems to be forcing the issue. Which is leading to wayward passes. I thought mitchell struggled physically. They were a big side. Still played well though.

As for the defence. burgess had his best game by a mile. Won everything. And is really settling in. And Hunter is getting used to his new partner too. Which is reassuring. Jury is still out on Gibbons. He's definitely good on the ball. But is he a full back. I am certain he'll improve because it's just his positioning which is letting him down.

But I wanted to finish off with Galbraith. He's had a bit of stick. Including myself so far this season, and early doors he played some bad passss. But after that he was brilliant today. He kept their big winger in his pocket all day long and didn't mess about when it required clearing.

Well done lads. Roll on Tuesday
Last edited by dickdarlington on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Galbraith was excellent today. Don't think he lost a header all game, he's came in for a bit of criticism over the last week or so but today he silenced those critics imo
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:21 pm

dickdarlington wrote:Agree completely Divas. Dowson and Cartman up front together isn't going to work. Thommo up there isn't the answer either. We need a big man. (Ooh err). The lack of a holding player cost us the goal, and nearly the game. We have the players. They're just injured. Which means anyone we bring in would be temporary. Hatch would have been perfect. But I expect Gray will be talking to the youth set up at the stadium of light.

Cartman played well again. Portas was great. Turnbull's best game so far. I like his constant talking. He's more understated than I was expecting. Thommo wasn't bad. But he seems to be forcing the issue. Which is leading to wayward passes. I thought mitchell struggled physically. They were a big side. Still played well though.

As for the defence. burgess had his best game by a mile. Won everything. And is really settling in. And Hunter is getting used to his new partner too. Which is reassuring. Jury is still out on Gibbons. He's definitely good on the ball. But is he a full back. I am certain he'll improve because it's just his positioning which is letting him down.

But I wanted to finish off with Galbraith. He's had a bit of stick. Including myself so far this season, and early doors he played some bad passss. But after that he was brilliant today. He kept their big winger in his pocket all day long and didn't mess about when it required clearing.

Well done lads. Roll on Tuesday
Agree with good assessment
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Agree with everything that's been said.

Barwell were a tough team, not the best technically but we needed to break them down and did.

Early days but I'm optimistic. Gibbons at RB still gives me some concern but he'll continue to improve.

And the step up in standard from the previous division is clear.

Sounds like an obvious thing to say but we won't get as many simple games, where we'd run in 5, 6, 7 goals like we've had in the last few seasons.

But we've responded to the step up well.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:38 pm

Agree with the two main things people have mentioned, when Armstrong isn't on the pitch we look weaker no matter who is upfront. Amar would fill this gap but we have a long way to go before that will happen, we either battle on without or look for a loan player or new signing.

Gibbons is one of those players that given time will get better and could be a reasonable RB and a decent squad player. The question is whether we have the funds to find someone better or we spend sometime developing a player, depends how funds are and what Gray sees in Gibbons.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Really enjoying the standard of play at this level and our ability to compete. Gibbons is an intelligent footballer who will grow into the full back position, he had great aggression in the first half when defending and doesn't waste the ball when in possession

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:23 pm

Encouraging start so far, countering the extra physicality and weak refereeing to date.

Gibbons must be impressing Gray with his re-learning progress, as Watson hasn't been subbed on.

Still early days for developing team play, but a couple of big strong lads coming in on loan may help spell off others, as pitches and weather deteriorate in Autumn.

Whatever happened to Wilson Kneeshaw?

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:00 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Encouraging start so far, countering the extra physicality and weak refereeing to date.

Gibbons must be impressing Gray with his re-learning progress, as Watson hasn't been subbed on.

Still early days for developing team play, but a couple of big strong lads coming in on loan may help spell off others, as pitches and weather deteriorate in Autumn.

Whatever happened to Wilson Kneeshaw?
I think he went on trial for Barnsley, although there's been no mention of him on any of there forums/twitter sites , yea it would great to bring him back to his home town.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Excellent performance today matched by an excellent turnout. A couple of decent away performances and hopefully good weather for Bank holiday Monday and we should get a bumper crowd against Blyth.

It's good to see Carts settling in and quietening those doubters could have had another couple today but what a great finish from a tight angle. Great to see Armstrong back on the scoresheet,really put himself about today,signs of a good partnership forming with Carts

Hats off to Galbraith today, put in a great shift against an awkward opponent who just wanted a handful of his shirt all game.

Roll on Tuesday looking forward to an away trip to Workington.

robsraiders

Post by robsraiders » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Just want to say well done everyone today, if we believe we will achieve, on the pitch very happy with the way things are going, and a terrific crowd turnout today lets keep it going and turn up in big numbers.
Even though Cartman is a small guy, I thought he held up the ball well, great goal as well, Armstrong outstanding the fitter he gets the better we will be.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:52 pm

robsraiders wrote:Just want to say well done everyone today, if we believe we will achieve, on the pitch very happy with the way things are going, and a terrific crowd turnout today lets keep it going and turn up in big numbers.
Even though Cartman is a small guy, I thought he held up the ball well, great goal as well, Armstrong outstanding the fitter he gets the better we will be.
Galbraith MOM for me today.

Mr_Tibbs

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 am

poppyfield wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:Whatever happened to Wilson Kneeshaw?
I think he went on trial for Barnsley, although there's been no mention of him on any of there forums/twitter sites , yea it would great to bring him back to his home town.
He played for Barnsley U21s at Charlton on Monday afternoon. They got beat 3-0...

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/char ... 26964.aspx

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:20 am

Another impressive performance yesterday. I thought Gibbons had a decent game - much improved from Tuesday. If he continues improving at that rate then there will be no concerns. Turnbull and Portas again class, Galbraith had a great game against their massive number 11. A tough few games coming up, and it will be interesting to see how we get on.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:45 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
poppyfield wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:Whatever happened to Wilson Kneeshaw?
He played for Barnsley U21s at Charlton on Monday afternoon. They got beat 3-0...

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/char ... 26964.aspx
Good news - maybe we can secure his services on a short term deal.