Darlo v Barwell Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Neil Johnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Barwell Match Thread

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:02 pm

al_quaker wrote:Another impressive performance yesterday. I thought Gibbons had a decent game - much improved from Tuesday. If he continues improving at that rate then there will be no concerns. Turnbull and Portas again class, Galbraith had a great game against their massive number 11. A tough few games coming up, and it will be interesting to see how we get on.
Seems like Thompson enjoys playing with his new partners in midfield. He is helping more in the box this season, rather than spectating / staying too deep out on the wing.

Darlo players may be taking more hard knocks this season, but the preseason strength training will help.

As always a few players extra would reduce injury crisis probabilities. (I hope our 2 injured midfielders will be bench ready for next week)

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:19 pm

Most things have been mentioned.

Burgess MOM by a mile. Mentions for the way Galbraith handled the big guy, was almost like a challenge was set off Terry and he thrived on it. I'd be more concerned by a pacey winger.

Tough tests still to come, but we've beaten a team that finished 8th last season, only a few points off the playoffs

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:20 am

A very hard earned 3 points much like Tuesday. I always felt Barwell were in the game and was very worried when they pulled it back to 2-1. I guess that is the level of competition though just that step up.

(Albeit based on very little) I think in three or four players we will just have a little too much for the majority of the league, whether that will be enough to mount a serious challenge I’m not sure, however Portas, Army & Cartman look like they will just always create something. With the likes of Mitchell, Thommo and Turnbell all capable of turning up as well we should be good.

I am not seeing the concern at right back that a few mention, I thought Gibbons had a decent enough game and looks to get forward well, perhaps that is a little issue we can have with him being caught out of position on counter attacks, the same a little with Galbraith as he takes so many of the set pieces / corners.

My only real concern and this was the same on Tuesday is our lack of replacement for Army. As soon as he goes off the ball just does not stick up front. Cartman does his best but its not his game and White is just not the answer. I would have rather seen Dowson on (if we have to make the change) and let him and Cartman harry the life out of there defenders. I know we are missing Nowakoski and Amar and there is a limit to the number of players we can have to call on, but I would like to see a better alternative. Does Army need to be getting taken off, he never looks out of energy to me?

Players of note:

Army & Cartman : I really like them as a front 2, seem to have a good understanding with each other and both really work hard off the ball.
Portas : Much like Tuesday always looks to get the ball down and play. Never doubted he would scored when he went through.
Burgess : Where I thought Hunter was the main man Tuesday burgess today impressed me, the two of them could really become a very strong partnership, how old are they both?
Turnbell : Just quietly goes about his business. Tidy on the ball and always happy to receive it.

Also not many people have mentioned this, no doubt as we won but I was sure the disallowed goal from Cartman was onside. Felt Nathan came from behind the centre back and even then Thommo had pulled the ball back to him anyway.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:47 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote: My only real concern and this was the same on Tuesday is our lack of replacement for Army. As soon as he goes off the ball just does not stick up front. Cartman does his best but its not his game and White is just not the answer. I would have rather seen Dowson on (if we have to make the change) and let him and Cartman harry the life out of there defenders. I know we are missing Nowakoski and Amar and there is a limit to the number of players we can have to call on, but I would like to see a better alternative. Does Army need to be getting taken off, he never looks out of energy to me?
Dowson did come on for Armstrong! Armstrong missed preseason so I doubt he's at full fitness, particularly after such a nasty injury.

But yes, we need another striker.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:18 am

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:
My only real concern and this was the same on Tuesday is our lack of replacement for Army. As soon as he goes off the ball just does not stick up front. Cartman does his best but its not his game and White is just not the answer. I would have rather seen Dowson on (if we have to make the change) and let him and Cartman harry the life out of there defenders. I know we are missing Nowakoski and Amar and there is a limit to the number of players we can have to call on, but I would like to see a better alternative. Does Army need to be getting taken off, he never looks out of energy to me?
Judging by the substitutions (Mitchell, Armstrong and Cartman), MG had one eye on tomorrows game at Workington rather their energy to see out Saturday's match.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:23 am

[/quote]
Dowson did come on for Armstrong! Armstrong missed preseason so I doubt he's at full fitness, particularly after such a nasty injury.

But yes, we need another striker.[/quote]

Sorry yes he did, but we still ended up with White up top. As I say we have enough players just two too many injuries at the moment.

As Maurice says, Im sure the chnages were made with the mindset the game was won and we have more to come thick and fast.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:40 pm

BaronsCourtQuaker wrote:A very hard earned 3 points much like Tuesday. I always felt Barwell were in the game and was very worried when they pulled it back to 2-1. I guess that is the level of competition though just that step up.

(Albeit based on very little) I think in three or four players we will just have a little too much for the majority of the league, whether that will be enough to mount a serious challenge I’m not sure, however Portas, Army & Cartman look like they will just always create something. With the likes of Mitchell, Thommo and Turnbell all capable of turning up as well we should be good.

I am not seeing the concern at right back that a few mention, I thought Gibbons had a decent enough game and looks to get forward well, perhaps that is a little issue we can have with him being caught out of position on counter attacks, the same a little with Galbraith as he takes so many of the set pieces / corners.

Players of note:

Army & Cartman : I really like them as a front 2, seem to have a good understanding with each other and both really work hard off the ball.
Portas : Much like Tuesday always looks to get the ball down and play. Never doubted he would scored when he went through.
Burgess : Where I thought Hunter was the main man Tuesday burgess today impressed me, the two of them could really become a very strong partnership, how old are they both?
Turnbell : Just quietly goes about his business. Tidy on the ball and always happy to receive it.

Also not many people have mentioned this, no doubt as we won but I was sure the disallowed goal from Cartman was onside. Felt Nathan came from behind the centre back and even then Thommo had pulled the ball back to him anyway.
Cartman looked a good yard offside to me. He never looked onside at any point in the move

DiscoDancer
Team Supported: Newcastle

Post by DiscoDancer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:48 pm

Thought Hunter was the best player on the pitch over last week's 2 home games, he displayed a great reading of the game to cut out passes and take up the right position and was always on the front foot. He covered the left side really well against Frickley.