Commemorative glassware

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Makka Pakka
Team Supported: Darlington

Commemorative glassware

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:14 am

Anyone got their 500 club glassware? I got just a plain glass, was wondering if it was supposed to have something etched on it.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

mikkyx
Site Admin

Re: Commemorative glassware

Post by mikkyx » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:35 am

Makka Pakka wrote:Anyone got their 500 club glassware? I got just a plain glass, was wondering if it was supposed to have something etched on it.
I was at the match with someone last night who picked theirs up and was wondering the same thing..... then promptly forgot to pick it up when they left the ground and left it on the "shelf" at the back of the tin shed.

So if anyone found it, please let me know!

(And no, this isn't an "asking for a friend" thing that's actually me, I'm not even in the 500 Club. So there.)
Darlo Uncovered flux capacitor maintainer-in-chief
Darlo Fans Radio | Official Website

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:56 am

Maybe the originals had 'Blackwell Meadows' engraved all over them and we've had to have a late rethink.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:32 pm

I was expecting something a bit different from a plain glass.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:15 pm

I ended up with a medium boys tracksuit rather than medium men's, a ticket in bishop Auckland rather than Darlington and now a plain pint glass rather than "commemorative glassware"

It's a good job I love the club and would have invested regardless as that's hardly the vision I was sold at the fundraising drive.

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Pretty poor in all honesty.
If i'd paid a canny sum of money i'd expect better.
Think before posting

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:27 pm

divas wrote:I ended up with a medium boys tracksuit rather than medium men's, a ticket in bishop Auckland rather than Darlington and now a plain pint glass rather than "commemorative glassware"

It's a good job I love the club and would have invested regardless as that's hardly the vision I was sold at the fundraising drive.

Probably shouldn't but that has made me laugh :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:54 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
divas wrote:I ended up with a medium boys tracksuit rather than medium men's, a ticket in bishop Auckland rather than Darlington and now a plain pint glass rather than "commemorative glassware"

Probably shouldn't but that has made me laugh :lol:

I find it a little concerning.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I didn't mean to start a whinge thread, just concerned I'd got a duff one. It was the 5 years of season tickets at a knock-down price that got me on board. I'm quite happy with my plain tumbler (the box is commemorative) and left-handed-zip jacket.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:28 am

Perhaps you'll be sent a transfer with BM when we move? I remember Sheffield Wednesday changing sponsors...think it was Sandersons/ Mr Toms and fans were given stick ons for their shirts!

Neil_Heaneys_Pace

Post by Neil_Heaneys_Pace » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:23 am

this is darlo, you should just be glad it doesn't have a hole in!

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 am

Neil_Heaneys_Pace wrote:this is darlo, you should just be glad it doesn't have a hole in!
If it didn't have a hole in it, you couldn't get drink in or out. :roll:

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:52 pm

I haven't collected my glassware, but if it's like others have described, then I doubt whether I'll bother picking it up at all.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:21 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I haven't collected my glassware, but if it's like others have described, then I doubt whether I'll bother picking it up at all.
... you do that Pete ... that'll show em .... :roll: ... good grief ...

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:53 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:I haven't collected my glassware, but if it's like others have described, then I doubt whether I'll bother picking it up at all.
I wonder if fans at other clubs moan about having a free gift with the season ticket. Or is it only Darlo.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:22 pm

My opinion wrote:
I wonder if fans at other clubs moan about having a free gift with the season ticket. Or is it only Darlo.
It depends whether it fits the description really. If you bought a commemorative glassware item and it ended up just being the box would you feel short changed? I think most people would, I'm not sure the club should be immune to all criticism just because we are fan owned and volunteer run.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:45 pm

shawry wrote:
My opinion wrote:
It depends whether it fits the description really. If you bought a commemorative glassware item and it ended up just being the box would you feel short changed? I think most people would, I'm not sure the club should be immune to all criticism just because we are fan owned and volunteer run.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
No one bought the commemorative glassware...It was a FREE gift.
If people had bought it I could understand the moaning.
I bet not one single 500 club season ticket holder would have thought the glassware was the decisive move that made them get their ticket.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:59 pm

shawry wrote:It depends whether it fits the description really. If you bought a commemorative glassware item and it ended up just being the box would you feel short changed? I think most people would, I'm not sure the club should be immune to all criticism just because we are fan owned and volunteer run.
..... now you're just being plain daft .... at least Darlo Pete has an excuse for silly statements ... :roll:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:55 pm

are you sure it is absolutely plain? There isn't a single mark which has a 500 on it?

Whilst I agree it is not a deciding factor I quite like my commemorative glass from the Northern League season with all the results on it and was hoping for something similar!

I will therefore be slightly disappointment if it is just a plain glass - not enough to rage war over but, and referencing back to the start of this thread, enough to ask whether it is a mistake or not!?

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:05 am

lo36789 wrote:are you sure it is absolutely plain? There isn't a single mark which has a 500 on it?

Whilst I agree it is not a deciding factor I quite like my commemorative glass from the Northern League season with all the results on it and was hoping for something similar!

I will therefore be slightly disappointment if it is just a plain glass - not enough to rage war over but, and referencing back to the start of this thread, enough to ask whether it is a mistake or not!?
Couldn't agree more, great post.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:41 am

Makka Pakka wrote:I'm quite happy with my plain tumbler (the box is commemorative)
Well, maybe that was what was meant by commemorative?

It didn't say anything about the glass being etched in the blurb I was reading... unless someone saw a picture of one somewhere else?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ge

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:28 am

I agree with Shawry.

It says "commemorative glassware" on the original offer. In case anyone is too dense to work it out, that means it is the glass that will have some sort of inscription or design.

If the "commemorative" part is the box, the club should have made that clear originally. Otherwise they've deceived fans.

It's not difficult. If the club offer "commemorative glassware" fans should get just that. Not plain glass in a box with the Darlo logo on it.

Again it's not a major issue, but it looks at best unprofessional, at worst incompetent.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:42 am

If anyone is that arsed or feels deceived i will happy start a free service of buying some acrylic paint and painting 500 on their b*****d glasses.

Let's not lose sight of the point here. The club put on a fantastic deal to raise money towards the move back to darlo. You invested; 1) because you wanted to be part of making the move happen. 2) because you were getting a fantastic deal which has given you a cut price season ticket frozen against any price increases for the next 5 years.

In addition to this you received a piece of club merchandise and a some glassware. This merchandise and glassware will have to have been purchased by the club at some point we will not have received it for free. I think a lot more people would be pissed of if they heard that of the money raise by the 500 club scheme 5K of it had gone toward the added gifts and not towards the move home.

Can we not have a little bit of perspective and sensibility.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:58 am

JE93 wrote:If anyone is that arsed or feels deceived i will happy start a free service of buying some acrylic paint and painting 500 on their b*****d glasses.

Let's not lose sight of the point here. The club put on a fantastic deal to raise money towards the move back to darlo. You invested; 1) because you wanted to be part of making the move happen. 2) because you were getting a fantastic deal which has given you a cut price season ticket frozen against any price increases for the next 5 years.

In addition to this you received a piece of club merchandise and a some glassware. This merchandise and glassware will have to have been purchased by the club at some point we will not have received it for free. I think a lot more people would be pissed of if they heard that of the money raise by the 500 club scheme 5K of it had gone toward the added gifts and not towards the move home.

Ah yes, why use 20 words, when 250 words of waffle will do.

Try being objective for once.

The club said purchasers would receive a product. That product is not as advertised and people are questioning why that is. That's not unreasonable.

People will rightly be disappointed if the advertised "commemorative glassware" actually means plain glass tumbler in a commemorative box.

But it's not about the glass - as has been said before, that's not a major issue.

The greater issue is obvious - look at Divas' post. The club are cocking up in areas where it is avoidable. It makes them look unprofessional.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:18 am

Did Divas check when he collected his leisurewear as from what I have heard from the 2/3 queries they received none had been ordered incorrectly. Also the comment by Shawry about being volunteer run being no different - trouble is volunteers can just walk away. Mr MP has been hacked again so hopefully Mikky will sort me out.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:50 am

Darlogramps wrote:
JE93 wrote:If anyone is that arsed or feels deceived i will happy start a free service of buying some acrylic paint and painting 500 on their b*****d glasses.

Ah yes, why use 20 words, when 250 words of waffle will do.

Try being objective for once.

The club said purchasers would receive a product. That product is not as advertised and people are questioning why that is. That's not unreasonable.

People will rightly be disappointed if the advertised "commemorative glassware" actually means plain glass tumbler in a commemorative box.

But it's not about the glass - as has been said before, that's not a major issue.

The greater issue is obvious - look at Divas' post. The club are cocking up in areas where it is avoidable. It makes them look unprofessional.
I wasn't aware you knew me so well Gramps. But like anyone I am entitled to my albeit 'un-objective' opinion. Perhaps there was a gap between fan expectation and club expectation due to the previous glassware, but surely fans realise the main objective here was to raise money for the move back to darlo and so shouldn't expect the club to put a large outlay on what at the end of the day was a free gift. I certainly don't think a glass in a commemorative box is miles away from the commemorative glassware described.

Maybe it's because we aren't professional... all our volunteers and even our players have many things going on in their lives other than DFC and at the end of the day they do a fantastic job in giving as much time and quality to the club as they do. Perhaps if you are unhappy you can volunteer and join some form of DFC committee for future promotions and products, im sure they'd love to have your views.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:27 am

You Could alwats get it etched yourself, and save OUR club a few bob. :roll:

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:48 am

Always welcome when Darlogrumps posts the definitive opinion on a topic.

Personally I won't be collecting my commemorative glassware, the unprofessional bastards that run this club can toss it in the bin for all I care.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:52 am

Did I care about the commemorative glass when ordering my 500 Club - No

Did I expect something a bit different with maybe DFC500 or something engraved on it - Yes

Was the glass pointless and extra cost for the club - Yes in my opinion

Is it something that bother me - No (Except the costs to the club)

I can only imagine the club wanted to do something else but the cost of engraving was too high and the money would be better spent on costs of getting back to Darlo.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:12 am

Robbie Painter wrote:Always welcome when Darlogrumps posts the definitive opinion on a topic.

Personally I won't be collecting my commemorative glassware, the unprofessional bastards that run this club can toss it in the bin for all I care.
You've moved on to namecalling and distortions now Robbie? I genuinely thought you were better than that. It's sad when someone who is capable of putting in an intelligent reasonable argument decides to sink to such levels.