Commemorative glassware

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Commemorative glassware

Post by onewayup » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 am

Cannot believe some of you poster on here,seats,jackets,glassware,for crying out loud what the hell is wrong with some of you,give your heads a good shake,the club will always do there best for the fans,this snipping does nobody any good,Do not forget we Are essentially a volunteer run club,lose the volunteers who do a fantastic job bye the way ,and where does it leave the club.would all who are posting and complaining of being short changed stand up to fill these rolls,No I didn't think so.
I bought my ticket on the price of five year ticket,everything else was a bonus,no matter what, i,m happy with everything, especially the exceptional volunteers force we have at our club. :thumbup:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:32 am

JE93 wrote: Perhaps there was a gap between fan expectation and club expectation due to the previous glassware, but surely fans realise the main objective here was to raise money for the move back to darlo and so shouldn't expect the club to put a large outlay on what at the end of the day was a free gift. I certainly don't think a glass in a commemorative box is miles away from the commemorative glassware described.
Dear me, talk about smacking my head against brick wall.

As I and others have said on this thread, no one really cares about a piece of glass. But it's the principle of advertising one thing and giving out something different. If plain glass in a commemorative box is what the product is, that's how it should be advertised.

If you advertise something different, of course fans are going to be disappointed when they get the actual thing.

These things do happen. Is it a massive issue? No, of course it isn't. But it doesn't look particularly great when it does happen.

Nor does the fact people say they are disappointed with something make them ungrateful, as some like the grammatically-deficient onewayup on this thread have suggested.

P.S. I have volunteered for the club over the past three years.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:21 am

So you are trying to educate us upon the principles of advertising? The point here being it is about perceptions.

Why does commemorative mean that it must be etched or have something upon the glass? For example my dad worked in the same company for 25 years, he was given a crystal tumbler (which is useless because he doesn't really drink spirits but that's besides the point) to commemorate his time working for the company... It has no writing on it, or insignia, but it is still my dads commemorative glass. Like i said previously I think supporters looked at what had gone before and assumed that's what they'd get. But if you use a bit of common sense, this would be costly and could be seen as misapplying the funds that were being raised for our return to darlo. You have no evidence of any kind of false advertising in my humblest of opinions.

Sniping and using emotive words such a 'cock ups' regarding the club and the volunteers who help us keep going could easily be seen as ungrateful, if not just a little rude.

P.S. I look forward to buying the Darlington F.C. 150 year anniversary commemorative glassware in 2033, as overseen by the Gramps Committee.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 pm

JE93 wrote:So you are trying to educate us upon the principles of advertising? The point here being it is about perceptions.

Why does commemorative mean that it must be etched or have something upon the glass? For example my dad worked in the same company for 25 years, he was given a crystal tumbler (which is useless because he doesn't really drink spirits but that's besides the point) to commemorate his time working for the company... It has no writing on it, or insignia, but it is still my dads commemorative glass. Like i said previously I think supporters looked at what had gone before and assumed that's what they'd get. But if you use a bit of common sense, this would be costly and could be seen as misapplying the funds that were being raised for our return to darlo. You have no evidence of any kind of false advertising in my humblest of opinions.

Sniping and using emotive words such a 'cock ups' regarding the club and the volunteers who help us keep going could easily be seen as ungrateful, if not just a little rude.

P.S. I look forward to buying the Darlington F.C. 150 year anniversary commemorative glassware in 2033, as overseen by the Gramps Committee.
Waffle, waffle, blether. You really don't know the meaning of succinct, do you?

I'm not even going to attempt to decipher that waffling, rambling diatribe of nothingness.

The issue is fans thought they were getting commemorative glassware. What they've ended up with is a box with plain glass in.

Bottom line is that the club should have been clearer on what people were getting. That is why plenty of people feel, justifiably, a little let down. Not massively because it's a minor issue, but it's not great and was avoidable.

It's not sniping, rude or ungrateful to make that point.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:23 pm

onewayup wrote:Cannot believe some of you poster on here,seats,jackets,glassware,for crying out loud what the hell is wrong with some of you,give your heads a good shake,the club will always do there best for the fans,this snipping does nobody any good,Do not forget we Are essentially a volunteer run club,lose the volunteers who do a fantastic job bye the way ,and where does it leave the club.would all who are posting and complaining of being short changed stand up to fill these rolls,No I didn't think so.
I bought my ticket on the price of five year ticket,everything else was a bonus,no matter what, i,m happy with everything, especially the exceptional volunteers force we have at our club. :thumbup:
Well said.

By the way, the AGM of the Darlington FC Supporters Group is coming up in November before which the interim board will be required to step down to allow a new board will be elected. If anyone feels they have the time and skills needed to pick up the gauntlet on behalf of the rest of us, and help OUR club take its next steps on the climb back, then now is the time to think about standing for election.

In order to stand for election you need to be a member first so, if anyone hasn't already joined, just click the link below to download a membership form. The membership year runs from the 1st September so now is the time to join. It's only £25 (£20 if renewing a membership) for adults and £5 for juniors.

http://www.darlingtonfcsupportersgroup.org/membership
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
By the way, the AGM of the Darlington FC Supporters Group is coming up in November before which the interim board will be required to step down to allow a new board will be elected. If anyone feels they have the time and skills needed to pick up the gauntlet on behalf of the rest of us, and help OUR club take its next steps on the climb back, then now is the time to think about standing for election.

In order to stand for election you need to be a member first so, if anyone hasn't already joined, just click the link below to download a membership form. The membership year runs from the 1st September so now is the time to join. It's only £25 (£20 if renewing a membership) for adults and £5 for juniors.

http://www.darlingtonfcsupportersgroup.org/membership
Out of interest, are members of the interim board able to stand for re-election or will it be a brand new board?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Out of interest, are members of the interim board able to stand for re-election or will it be a brand new board?
I think they can stand again, at least I hope they can... and want to.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:21 pm

onewayup wrote:Cannot believe some of you poster on here,seats,jackets,glassware,for crying out loud what the hell is wrong with some of you,give your heads a good shake,the club will always do there best for the fans,this snipping does nobody any good,Do not forget we Are essentially a volunteer run club,lose the volunteers who do a fantastic job bye the way ,and where does it leave the club.would all who are posting and complaining of being short changed stand up to fill these rolls,No I didn't think so.
Couldn't agree more. Great post.

divas

Post by divas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:27 pm

Here we go....

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:07 pm

People get way too defensive over what was a simple question. Is my plain pint glass a duff, should I be taking it back to swap it - or is this the commemorative glassware?

If that had been answered in the first post then most people would have gone "ok, not what I was expecting but I can make use of it?". Instead people were on the defensive before anyone had actually even suggested disappointment.

I am perhaps in a more limited audience of people who won't actually use my 5 year season ticket as I don't live anywhere near. The glassware, jacket and club shop voucher were actually all I was buying, not sure I can claim to have my mother's eye for a bargain!

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:41 pm

... you might be a limited audience, so as to speak, but your investment in your football club is as invaluable as anybody's. Indeed that really what it is all about. It's nothing to do with merchandise for most of us, it's a way and means of subscribing into DFC so that they can continue ... Like it or not, it's a lifetime thing .... not 5 years or 1 year or whatever, it's a lifetime of subscribing and supporting in a financial way. Next year ... bring on the Darlo beach towels .... and I haven't been on a beach since I was a lad ..... It'd go lovely in my airing cupboard, with all my Darlo shirts and array of other Darlo stuff (untouched and still in bags to boot) .... But I'd definitely buy one ... even if it's just plain black n white in a Darlo bag ....

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:36 pm

game over 2015 wrote:Yep picked my pathetic plain pound shop glass up as well

Thats the best we could do ffs?
Surely this fella is on a wind up?

Get a grip. It's a free glass.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:06 pm

game over 2015 wrote:Yep picked my pathetic plain pound shop glass up as well

Thats the best we could do ffs?
3 posts from a new user, none of them constructive in the slightest. Troll IMO

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Out of interest, are members of the interim board able to stand for re-election or will it be a brand new board?
I think they can stand again, at least I hope they can... and want to.
:clap:

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:43 am

as the existing board are paid up members they have the same rights as all other members,so can be reselected if they wish to put themselves up for election, grammatical errors an all....Darlogramps.