Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

shawry
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Match thread

Post by shawry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:17 am

divas wrote:
I was also surprised at some of the crowd moaning when we were trying to keep the ball, especially just before half time. You've got to manage a game, you can't just continually attack.

The way we'll win games this season is exactly like last night. Dig in, match teams physically, and then allow our extra quality to shine through to create the handful of chances needed to win the game.
I think there were a few occasions where we played the ball backwards when there was no need to, and essentially it negated what had been a decent move up til that point, but overall I think it was a solid performance, and we didnt have a repeat of the defensive lapses that cost us on Sat.

BaronsCourtQuaker

Post by BaronsCourtQuaker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:34 am

divas wrote:Interesting comments BaronsCourtQuaker.

I think you're being a tad harsh. Second half we weren't at our sparkling best but against better opposition we're not going to be able to boss 90 minutes as we once could. I expect it to become a familiar pattern this season whereby we're really going to dig in at times and just do what we can to break up play and not concede. The days of hammering teams on a semi regular basis are pretty much gone.

I was also surprised at some of the crowd moaning when we were trying to keep the ball, especially just before half time. You've got to manage a game, you can't just continually attack.

The way we'll win games this season is exactly like last night. Dig in, match teams physically, and then allow our extra quality to shine through to create the handful of chances needed to win the game.
Was not meant to be a criticism on the second half display. I just thought that when the second goal went in Frickley's head may drop and we would go on to dominate the second half. We didn't and I think credit to the oppo for that, they did not let us just roll them over.

I’m with you on some of the complaining. Last few moments of the first half I was desperate for us to just keep hold of it and see the half out at 2-0. The game as you say is not always about attack attack.

Individually Galbraith was coming in for a lot of grief form my left, although I don't think he had a great game (and I am a fan of his) I just don’t see the point in aiming abuse at the lads. For me he seemed to make a couple of errors and could shake it, and its not easier when people are picking up on anything you do. I actually thought first half Thommo was not offering him a great deal of help defensively.

As I say its my first game in a long while having been living out of the area but looking forward to more, its going to be a competitive league.

Just a note I forgot to mention before. I thought their left winger (number 11) looked very lively and Gibbons although caught out once or twice dealt with him on the whole pretty well.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:45 pm

This team can only get better, Hunter and Portas both have new partners in defence and midfield, the more they play together the better an understanding they'll have which will make for a very strong spine to the squad, upfront hopefully Dowson is back on saturday, having to being White on upfront is far from ideal, its a shame it went wrong with Hatch, he'd of been perfect to of brought on for Armstrong

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:57 pm

didn't really think we deserved to go one in front, but since the goal we were very confident and got better throughout the first half. Second half I don't think we gave them a chance, only thing I can remember is Jameson putting one over the bar when perhaps he could have caught it, other than that we weren't troubled and we had a few chances.

A few things still to work on. Gibbons needs throw in lessons. Did two foul throws by throwing it down then to compensate gave Leon Scott a high one which whacked him on the top of the head.

Sounds like Barwell will be a very different test. We have a pretty small team with Portas, Thompson, Mitchell and Cartman all small. We need to let our football on the ground do the talking and not to react to any games Barwell might play