What's the funniest thing you've seen watching Darlington?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

uncovered
Site Admin

Re: What's the funniest thing you've seen watching Darlingto

Post by uncovered » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:02 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I'm getting conflicting info....

1: Walter Boyd
Having appeared three times for Jamaica at the 1998 World Cup in France, striker Walter Boyd joined Swansea City in 1999 arriving with some experience of playing at the highest level. He scored twice on his debut at the Vetch Field against Rotherham United in October that year and went on to net 10 goals in 43 appearances for the South Wales club. However he is remembered amongst Swans fans for a moment of madness away at Darlington in 2000.
Manager John Hollins sent the forward on as a substitute just as Swansea were about to take a free-kick. Before the set piece was taken though, Boyd became involved in a scuffle on the edge of the penalty area which ended up in him elbowing one of his opponents. Referee Clive Wilkes was left with no option but to give the Swansea man his marching orders before the game had even restarted, meaning that Boyd’s sending off was timed at zero seconds. Quite a feat it must be said.
Written by Steven Toplis, We Are Going Up podcast member and Nottingham Forest blogger
Tweet Steven at @steven_toplis with your suggestions for Toppo’s Top Tens

Maybe I am wrong?
It was at Swansea. I think it was Martin gray who was winding up the substitute.

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:11 pm

uncovered wrote:

Having appeared three times for Jamaica at the 1998 World Cup in France, striker Walter Boyd joined Swansea City in 1999 arriving with some experience of playing at the highest level. He scored twice on his debut at the Vetch Field against Rotherham United in October that year and went on to net 10 goals in 43 appearances for the South Wales club. However he is remembered amongst Swans fans for a moment of madness away at Darlington in 2000.
Manager John Hollins sent the forward on as a substitute just as Swansea were about to take a free-kick. Before the set piece was taken though, Boyd became involved in a scuffle on the edge of the penalty area which ended up in him elbowing one of his opponents. Referee Clive Wilkes was left with no option but to give the Swansea man his marching orders before the game had even restarted, meaning that Boyd’s sending off was timed at zero seconds. Quite a feat it must be said.
Written by Steven Toplis, We Are Going Up podcast member and Nottingham Forest blogger

Maybe I am wrong?
It was at Swansea. I think it was Martin gray who was winding up the substitute.

I'm not sure!

I clearly remember an incident like this at Feethams. A Sub runs on from the dug outs towards the Polam end, bumps into Gray, gets immediately sent off - before any football is played.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:53 pm

I didnt see it but Yackley_Quaker was the man involved,maybe he could post on here his experience at Northampton in the 80s,stood on his own in the away end at a midweek game?

Its subtle but one of the best football stories I have ever heard :lol:

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:36 pm

AIDO wrote:.... can't have a thread like this without including Chris Brass's own goal shocker ... an all time classic ... worldwide actually .... seemed to be even funnier while watching it "live" .... Did he EVER live it down???

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18rkm ... ever_sport
No he has not...

Always cheers me up

His dad owns a fruit and veg shop near me, we alway have a laugh about it
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:31 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
uncovered wrote:

Maybe I am wrong?

I'm not sure!

I clearly remember an incident like this at Feethams. A Sub runs on from the dug outs towards the Polam end, bumps into Gray, gets immediately sent off - before any football is played.
Thank you I thought I was going mad! Maybe it wasn't Walter Boyd - but as you say the sub came on and got immediately sent off before play had restarted - it was around the time Gray was in the team.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

swadquaker

Post by swadquaker » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:05 am

Away to Bradford about 1965. Two all and then their left back hoofs a back pass from all of 45 yards. The wind caught it and the keeper couldnt get to it in the top corner. So we won 3-2 and then got threatened by the local thugs. And the last thing I saw as we ran to the bus was our Quakers banner being ripped and trampled on. Soon made another one!!

banktop

Post by banktop » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:34 am

Got loads :D

This one always had me in bits

playing Brighton at home feethams early 2000 coming out of the bar going into the town after the match.One of the lads got a stump from the cricket pitch and walked on the Brighton players coach and shouted who shot the bloody spear at me.
One of the Brighton players called back it was not me lol

My mate got off and we were all in bits walking back into town. :D

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:37 am

In remember Maddo's lob from the half-way line at Huddersfield.

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:12 pm

Clint Marcelle's attempt at the half time crossbar challenge was funny in a different kind of way.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:24 am

Down at Boston in 2006...

Was only my 3rd game as a fan

Carlos Logan was on the pitch at half time taking shots, and more than once decided to use me as part of his target practice...

He never managed to hit me despite being the fat get I am

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
442 Football Crazy Admin

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:04 am

Boro fans climbing the cages to invade the Feethams pitch in the 80s.
Police arriving with 2 of the biggest dogs ever.
The darlo crowd roaring their encouragement for the dogs to be released.
Cheers turning to celebration as the dogs are released and charge towards the Boro idiots.
Boro fans running like hell to get back over the cages.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Some more of my funny moments, I never intend to do something daft, I just do most times, despite not supporting us for long

York Away, friendly in 2006, my first ever Darlo, I never saw much of it, at one point I needed a s***, despite not liking to use football round netties, I felt like I would s*** myself at any given moment, there was a problem with the Gents traps, so a steward let me use the womens and stood guard on the door till I come out, after that I spent well over an hour talking to a Steward...

Going to Stoke in 2006 went with a couple of mates, I had come prepared and printed off a route on the AA Website, what the AA did not say, there was roadworks on the approaches around The Brittania, so by that time my route was useless, we go round a one way diversion, and my mate, well she was probably starting to get annoyed, but was laughing at me for being stroppy and I was getting more upset which fuelled laughter, in the end I crumpled up the route and said "next time sort your fucking sat-nav out'

Going to Accrington in 2006, despite having nothing to eat or doing anything to bring it on, I felt sick, and ended up puking over the away end wall, later some drunk fella peered over the wall behind and nearly stuck his chin in the contents of my guts

Coming from Notts County, think it was the final away game of 06-07, we had caught up with a Hartlepool Supporters Bus on the A19, I said to my mate "D'you dare me to drop the window and stick my arse out the window, which I duly did without realising I could have been in trouble for that...

Playing Leeds at the Arena, not sure if it was in the JPT or League Cup, I nearly went over the barrier behind the West Stand goal, how I even got into the game that night I don't know, I was pissed as fart, my mate saw it happen on TV and never let me live it down.

In the last 3 years I have been mistaken for supporting Sunderland and Gateshead, a Norweigian TV were film a piece on Paolo Di Canios appointment and his win against Newcastle, The guy asked me what I thought about it, I told him I supported Darlo, he still asked me about Sunderland. When I look back at that, I would have a response similar to Gazza...Fuck off Norway

After the Gateshead friendly in 2013, when Gary Brown went down in the dying seconds, talking to a little boy with his dad and the kid said 'Do you think he went too easy' I looked at the kid and told him I was a Darlo fan when he said 'Oh no, I have gone and put my foot in it again' at that moment everyone turned to look at us I just said 'No, I don't think he did go down easy) his old man was in creases and said something like 'Well done son, you can't keep your mouth shut at times'

Guess I have used my funny things quota for now

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Against Preston years ago, some rather rotund guy got hit full in the face by the ball when Preston were defending. He was in the uncovered bit between the east stand and the polam end. I have never seen a man do such a spectacular back flip in all my life. Tom Daley wouldn't be able to match it.

Another is we were in the polam end one summers evening, a preseason I think and my mate was wearing swimming shorts, what he didn't realise was that the lining had split. He was sat down most of the game not realising his very small cock and balls were on show. Over to you Stuart Pickering from raby castle to deny :lol:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:55 pm

Fatty eats roadkill wrote:Against Preston years ago, some rather rotund guy got hit full in the face by the ball when Preston were defending. He was in the uncovered bit between the east stand and the polam end. I have never seen a man do such a spectacular back flip in all my life. Tom Daley wouldn't be able to match it.

Another is we were in the polam end one summers evening, a preseason I think and my mate was wearing swimming shorts, what he didn't realise was that the lining had split. He was sat down most of the game not realising his very small cock and balls were on show. Over to you Stuart Pickering from raby castle to deny Image
Cant be as bad as Peter Beardsley can it...

442 Football Crazy Admin

Fatty eats roadkill

Post by Fatty eats roadkill » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Well He was/is a massive Liverpool fan so maybe Quasimodo was his inspiration :o :lol:
Waiting for Raj to shaft them!

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Came in to post the Chris Brass own goal, glad to see that it's already been covered

victor meldrew

Post by victor meldrew » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:23 pm

The Quaker wrote:A steward getting hit by a pie thrown by someone from the tin shed.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk
PIE BOY AND ELVIS :lol: :lol: :lol:

victor meldrew

Post by victor meldrew » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:34 pm

Scunthorpe away when we lost 7-1, the song directed at the ref "Allcock" which asked him the direct question as to why he was such a C***

oldunwitkids

Post by oldunwitkids » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:21 pm

victor meldrew wrote:Scunthorpe away when we lost 7-1, the song directed at the ref "Allcock" which asked him the direct question as to why he was such a C***
Aye such an atmosphere in our end. Our little lad asking the copper if he could arrest Alcock for impersonating a referee, the copper just smiled and walked away!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:04 am

I remember going to see Darlo play at Workington, there must have been 300 to 400 Darlo fans at the game. Before the match most of our fans were in the social club having a pre-match pint or two. The social club went alongside the side of the pitch under the main stand. A bloke came in with a tray of pies and he carried them above his shoulder. He had to walk along the length of the social club, past most of the Darlo fans. When he got to the end he lifted the tray down and there was only a few left, the remainder were being scoffed by Darlo fans. The blokes face was a picture.

andyatdarlo

Post by andyatdarlo » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:23 pm

1973-4 season, and we were at Newport (lost 2-1, I think). I was working down there then.
Second half and totally against his character, Clive Nattress surprisingly got sent off. I was next to the tunnel and shouted 'hard luck Clive'.
He told me to f*** off, which is understandable when it's a winters midweek game, you're playing crap and no visible away fans to count on.
Bless him!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:47 pm

andyatdarlo wrote:1973-4 season, and we were at Newport (lost 2-1, I think). I was working down there then.
Second half and totally against his character, Clive Nattress surprisingly got sent off. I was next to the tunnel and shouted 'hard luck Clive'.
He told me to f*** off, which is understandable when it's a winters midweek game, you're playing crap and no visible away fans to count on.
Bless him!
That reminded me of an incident at the Arena. Gregan was playing for Fleetwood at the very end of his career. He had a mare and it came as no surprise when he was substituted around the hour mark. As he's a Darlo legend and he came off the pitch and started to shout Gregan, Gregan, he looked at me and shouted at me to fuck off, it was very funny at the time. :lol:

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:44 pm

Just watched the Blyth cup replay highlights from last season and noticed Blyth drive a corner straight into the face of the Blyth player that had come over for a short one.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883