Remember when? Stuart Elliott

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

charlie

Remember when? Stuart Elliott

Post by charlie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 am

Makka Pakka
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Remember when? Stuart Elliott

Post by Makka Pakka » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:18 am

Dave Beasant had the acceleration of the QE2 trying to get back to goal.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:43 am

Makka Pakka wrote:Dave Beasant had the acceleration of the QE2 trying to get back to goal.

And a bigger turning circle. :roll:

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:31 pm

What an epic night that was. I actually got a love bite in the celebrations that followed the winning goal (and more worringly, I have really never known who did it).

There is undoubtedly a little bit of nostalgic creativity in the comment about 'thousands of Darlington supporters' though - I'd say there was an absolute maximum of 1,500 there.

As an aside, the scoreboard at the other end that night spent half of the match displaying the word 'Flannels', which I fully acknowledge are a much needed bathroom accessory but not standard advertising fayre at League Cup matches.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:43 am

Geordie Quaker wrote:
As an aside, the scoreboard at the other end that night spent half of the match displaying the word 'Flannels', which I fully acknowledge are a much needed bathroom accessory but not standard advertising fayre at League Cup matches.

Might have been referring to cricket trousers? :roll: