Fan Owned preview 2015/16

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Where will Darlo Finish?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Champions
11%
Play-Offs
73%
Top Half
14%
Bottom Half
3%
Relegation
No votes

Total votes: 37

eddyman00
Team Supported: Shrewsbury Town

Fan Owned preview 2015/16

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Hi folks, quick post to say you are in my little fan owned preview, if you fancy a look here it is:

https://ontheterracesblog.wordpress.com ... ew-201516/

Saying you will get top half, suspect a play-off place isn't beyond the realms of possibility but missing out on going back to Darlo for time being I think has really hurt in terms of the loss of higher gates and momentum as you head into this season.

I take it we all think Salford are going to buy the league this season? Anyway, let us know where you think Darlo will come and when you will be back in Darlo.

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Fan Owned preview 2015/16

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:22 pm

I think that you've been quite harsh with you assessment.

Play-offs should be an absolute minimum given the strengthening we've done and, to be fair, I'd probably still be saying the same even if we hadn't strengthened from last season's squad.

eddyman00

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Just trying to be cautious,
Always think whenever a club goes up a top half finish (even for a club as big as Darlo) is the aim really but if you can make the play-offs with some news on the ground being positive every chance you could be kicking off at Step 2 next season, much like FC United this time around.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:54 pm

I agree with Darlofan97 and think you're way off.

We've not been in Darlington for 3 years now, and have 2 promotions in that time, so I'm not sure why you think not being in the town is so decisive a factor.

The situation with Blackwell is frustrating but if it affects on the pitch performances I'd be very surprised. And there's no way you can know it will affect gates. None of us will until the first 5 or 6 "home" games this season.

If we're not at the very least challenging for the play-offs, with the calibre of players in the squad we have, I'd be hugely disappointed.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

eddyman00

Post by eddyman00 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Because the jump in quality to the other teams competing at the top of the league (Blyth, Workington for example) is higher then previous years. I also look at how hard FC United found it to get out in similar circumstances.
Hopefully I'm wrong and it's between you and Salford again, who I'm assuming have splurged again.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:04 am

It's hard to say before a ball has been kicked in the campaign. The strength of the opposition is widely unknown. We'll have a better idea of where we'll end up, after we've played 5 or so games.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:51 am

I think we can go into the season with a fair amount of confidence, without being over confident or arrogant.

While its the first season at this level for us as Darlington FC, this level isn't new for all of our players. Looking at what you expect the 1st team contenders to look like White, Burgess, Watson, Portas, Thompson, Turnbull, Cartman, Nowakowski, Dowson, Purwal, Armstrong all have experience of playing at Evo-Prem or Conference North level. Our signings have pretty much exclusively come from players who have played at this level or higher at their previous club. Added to this Gray has been given permission to increase his scouting network, which should mean we have greater knowledge of clubs and teams at this level.

In terms of opposition we know Salford will be strong, not only this but judging on last season they will have the ability to strength as and when they see fit. Of the other established clubs in this league, I expect Blyth to be strong (although they've lost key players in McGuire and Rivers) Workington will be strong, Ilkeston will be up there (although they have had a change in management and apparently a reduced budget), Ashton will be strong having missed out in the playoffs last year. But non of these teams should scare us, we are just as good as them on paper and possibly better.

All falling into place for a positive season in my opinion. I think we'll finish in the play-offs. What I'm really hoping for is a good FA cup run. Reaching the First round and getting a good draw against one of the bigger league 1 sides (Sheffield United) would be brilliant for the club both financially and for a bit of publicity and exposure.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

I think given the additions to the squad, we should be challenging at the top end of the table. Some encouraging pre season performances so far only add to this belief.

I can understand Eddyman00's cautious preview of our team but if we can steer clear of major injuries, we will be a match for anybody. The fans, especially away from home, will also be factor in getting even more out of the players. The big away days should command 500+ fans travelling and will spur the players on like it has done for the last three seasons.

In my opinion, I agree with Gramps, I don't think the delay in coming back to the town will affect the performance of the team.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:22 am

After signing turnbull. Top. My old man always said games are won and lost in the middle of the park. Only caveat is an injury to portas and/or turnbull.

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:54 am

I don't really see 5 teams finishing above Darlo to keep us out of the play offs. I really do think that we could push for the title (Unless Salford decide to sign a load of players from conference north level) and should be finishing no lower than 3rd really.
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:55 am

princes town wrote:After signing turnbull. Top. My old man always said games are won and lost in the middle of the park. Only caveat is an injury to portas and/or turnbull.
In which case we'd have Nowakowski, Scott or Galbraith to come in. More than adequate cover in central midfield.

This is why I'm optimistic this time around - we have much greater strength in depth across the squad than at this point 12 months ago.

We struggled in September last season when we picked up a handful of injuries. This time, we'd be better equipped to cope.

My greatest concern at this point would be if Cartman or Dowson picked up an injury early in the season, given Purewal and Armstrong's respective injuries.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Top 10 but only if we can maintain current playing budget through to end of the season.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Although I'm not a betting man, I'd like to see the 'odds' from the bookies as to who they have as the favourites for this division. I know absolutely 'nowt' about the teams from around Birmingham

I've scanned the internet but can't see any bookmakers who've got the odds for out for our league just yet...

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks for call us Darlington FC :thumbup:

I think we can add in Skelmersdale as another team to challenge at the top, but I think we've got what it takes to make the top three.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:07 pm

... I would feel more trepidation if we were still in the Evostik North .... Warrington, Scarborough and a few others look like they mean business this year.

The way MG has strengthened an already impressive squad demonstrates that we are certainly going for it.

Playing at HP hasn't affected our progress over the last three years one iota. Results suggest that players have certainly made it their home, even if some of our supporters (me included) haven't. The large numbers of away travelling support will still be evident despite the extra miles ... although, admittedly maybe not as vast as previous years. Notwithstanding, the players will certainly know we are there.

FCUM's problem was that, year on year, they simply weren't good enough on the field ... was nothing to do with having to play at Bury or wherever in my eyes ....

eddyman00

Post by eddyman00 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Well you boys are confident I will give you that, I think FC United were pretty unlucky to lose play-offs game by the skin of their teeth and one team always paid for the league.

I expect Salford to do whatever they need to so they can get out of the league.
Would agree that Evo Stik North also looks a tough bet but agree with JE93 about those teams in contention.

I'd like to see you go up but I think it may be the lottery of the play-offs again if you were to make it. Just think having a ground back in Darlo and an extra 1,000 fans may make it easier to further strengthen the squad if you needed to.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:36 pm

I think you guys have jumped on the prediction a bit too much. We are football fans, we are always optimistic - hey I live in Liverpool you'd think they were due a league title the way their fans talk - it's all about the history after all!

I think we have a good team. I don't know about our opposition yet. I have seen a number of Evostik Prem teams but it is hard to compare. This is a step into the unknown we probably have more players now who haven't played at this level than have. Also remember that previously the players who had played at NPLD1N were at the top end.

Burgess, Portas and Armstrong I don't recall ever drove Whitby beyond mid table? Jameson, Galbratih, Hunter, Purewal, Dowson, Mitchell and Cartman havn't played consistently at this level. Turnbull and Nowakowksi could be massive for us as they have been stalwarts in the division above (but then again that didn't work out so well with Fisher).

dont get me wrong I am optimistic and I would like a playoff finish, but I don't think it is nailed on and it is going to be tough.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:26 am

After last night's game, I really rate our chances and could see us winning the title, only Salford should pose a massive threat.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:45 pm

It's Pre-Season Pete, don't get over confident!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:59 pm

AndyPark wrote:It's Pre-Season Pete, don't get over confident!
There's nothing wrong with a bit of confidence.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Finances may be squeezed with the BM debacle, so promotion / play-offs aren't such a banker. Injuries particularly of the long term Amar / Brown style and the squad may struggle.