Brown

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

al_quaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Brown

Post by al_quaker » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:02 pm

On transfer list according to Craig stoddart. Didn't see that coming

yaccly

Re: Brown

Post by yaccly » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:10 pm

Recent birth of first bairn is a fair shout for reason why

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Its his second young'un actually.

yaccly

Post by yaccly » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Apologies for inaccuracy but the point is still valid

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Story on the Echo website now.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Gutted to lose Brown but understand & appreciate his position.

Two promotions as skipper in 3 years and he will rightfully be remembered as a Darlo legend.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Fair play to him, family first is the right priority, very thankful for all he has given to the club.

e4sby

Post by e4sby » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Story from Echo

Captain Brown to leave Darlington

LEAVING: Darlington captain Gary Brown

DARLINGTON manager Martin Gray has tonight dropped a bombshell by revealing that captain Gary Brown is being put on the transfer list at his own request.

With Quakers about to go into the Evo-Stik Premier Division, more of the opposition are based further afield and the talismanic defender has informed Gray he is not able to commit to the travelling.

This week his partner, Aimee, gave birth to their second child, Esmèe Bea Clarkson, and before this evening’s friendly at Gateshead, a 2-0 defeat, Brown made the difficult decision to leave a club where he is among the supporters’ favourites.

He has been Gray’s captain for three years, the whole-hearted defender twice leading the club to promotion, and The Northern Echo understands that Brown was close to tears when discussing the decision with Darlington’s management team.

“He is leaving for family reasons, he can’t do the travelling,” explained Gray, who said he will work quickly in order to replace a player that was used at right-back last season, but was centre-back during 2012-13.

“He came to me and to explain the situation and I admire him for it. It’s a big decision and I can’t speak highly enough of him.

“He’s been a stalwart for me, a leader. He’s improved as a player in his time with us, he’s improved his discipline and he’s been superb for us, he really has.

“I’m disappointed, I am. It’s sad, but that’s that football. He’s shown decency towards me by giving me time to bring in a player before the season starts, but he’s got to do what’s right for him.

“He’s been amazing for me and he will be sadly missed.”

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Disappointing but understandable news. His leadership qualities will be much missed.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:40 pm

Great attitude and made the most of his abilities. I neverhought he was a genuine full back but he made the best of it which says it all. Top servant to the club and b very genuine.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:53 pm

A shame but the fact he was shifted out of his preferred position and realistically is 4th best in central defence shows he's not irreplaceable.

Hopefully his wage can go towards an experienced right-back.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:28 am

A great player, great character and will be missed.

fozzovmurton

Post by fozzovmurton » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:34 am

Good luck to him whereever he ends up, what they have done in 3 years is truly amazing, coming from nothing to 2 promotions in that time...

Always came across as a decent bloke...

Congrats to him and Mrs Brown on the birth of there latest child...
442 Football Crazy Admin

If you need an avatar or signature I recommend Ron Carr of RCarr Designs

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:09 am

He will certainly be remebered. The captain who put us back on the road to where we belong. Always gave 100% and you could tell that being part of our revival really meant something to him. Congrats on the new little one Browny and best of luck at your next club. Hope to see you at HP and BM in the future

divas

Post by divas » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:15 am

The modern day Mr Darlo. He's cemented himself a place in Darlo history and he'll be as big a miss off the pitch as on it.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up, someone will have themselves a very good player. I just hope it's not Spenny, but then he's shown he's better than Northern league standard.

Turnbull for captain?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:23 am

divas wrote:The modern day Mr Darlo. He's cemented himself a place in Darlo history and he'll be as big a miss off the pitch as on it.

It'll be interesting to see where he ends up, someone will have themselves a very good player. I just hope it's not Spenny, but then he's shown he's better than Northern league standard.

Turnbull for captain?
Yep he gets my vote

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:25 am

divas wrote:The modern day Mr Darlo. He's cemented himself a place in Darlo history and he'll be as big a miss off the pitch as on it.

Turnbull for captain?
If he can't commit to travelling with us, it'd be strange for him to go to Spennymoor, where he'd be doing something similar.

They'll undoubtedly be interested (he's ex-Darlo) and I'd be disappointed if he did wind up there.

But if he's leaving for the reasons given, a Northern League club is more likely in my opinion. Possibly a return to Shildon?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 am

Bishop seem to be investing - seem to be going for promotion this year. Strikes me that Brown wouldn't mind being part of a club trying to progress.

He could end up at Spenny as the travel is slightly less and with fewer games there is less chance of midweek travel.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:23 am

lo36789 wrote:Bishop seem to be investing - seem to be going for promotion this year. Strikes me that Brown wouldn't mind being part of a club trying to progress.

He could end up at Spenny as the travel is slightly less and with fewer games there is less chance of midweek travel.
Yes, Bishop is a good shout - hope he does. He wouldn't want to be faced with the same decision again next year, e.g. if he went to Spenny and helped them to promotion.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:37 am

The initial post on this board about Brown leaving was posted at 11pm last night. A Gary Brown thread was opened on the Spennymoor board at 10:40pm ha ha, they do love an ex-darlo player. Can't see it happening though, I imagine it will be back to the Northern League for the travelling benefits. Can see it being Bishop or Shildon. Either way can't thank him enough for his commitment and leadership over the last 3 years. Definitely the first hero for Darlo in our fan ownership era. Wish Gary all the best of luck with his family and next club. Always will be welcome at HP and BM

LLB
Team Supported: Bishop Auckland

Post by LLB » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 am

Would love to see him at Bish. We crave a CB to play alongside Arj Purewal! My gut feeling is he will return to either Shildon or Durham...

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:37 am

Spyman wrote:A shame but the fact he was shifted out of his preferred position and realistically is 4th best in central defence shows he's not irreplaceable.

Hopefully his wage can go towards an experienced right-back.
Agree with above he never seemed "happy" to me playing at full back. However, echo all the other comments regards what a great servant he has been. Thanks for everything and good luck Gary.

darlodave1974

Post by darlodave1974 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks for everything Gary

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:03 am

A fantastic servant for our club and I'm sure he will be remembered for a long time to come.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:08 am

Agree with all of the above - a great servant to the club and I'm sure he won't have any trouble finding himself a new club.

All the best Browny.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:12 am

Cant remember how it works but presume he was under contract does that mean we might receive a transfer fee for him?

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:25 pm

bga wrote:Cant remember how it works but presume he was under contract does that mean we might receive a transfer fee for him?

Yes, none contract players wouldn't need to go on a transfer list.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:29 pm

LLB wrote:Would love to see him at Bish. We crave a CB to play alongside Arj Purewal! My gut feeling is he will return to either Shildon or Durham...
I hope he goes to Bish, I want to see progression.

You've got the money to develop the ground beyond Evostik Premier now and are one of the few NL clubs that want to join the likes of Darlo, Whitby, Blyth and Spenny higher up the pyramid, so it would be fantastic to see you sign Brown to help get that promotion.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:32 pm

bga wrote:Cant remember how it works but presume he was under contract does that mean we might receive a transfer fee for him?
If he can't play for us, there is no point holding out for much of a fee.

Otherwise we have a player on our books who can't play but who is costing a weekly wage - one that needs to be freed up to sign a replacement.

I'm well gutted about this - first The HITMAN, now Gary Brown. I'm going back to bed.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Very sad news for the club and the news came as quite a shock. I hope Gary joins Bishop as a centre half, rather than a right back. As I feel he is a more natural centre half.