Brown

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

joejaques
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Brown

Post by joejaques » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks for everything Gary. Best wishes to you and your family & good luck wherever you end up. :roll:

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:35 pm

All the best to Gary, whoever signs him have a brilliant player, the lads improved every season and although a center back he did brilliantly at right back and seemed to get better in that role. The lad was a big reason we won the play offs aswell, playing a big part in 3 of the 5 goals (Armstrong, Hatch and Cartman goals).

Think the new captain may depend on how many games Alan White is likely to play, id see him as the likely choice if he is to be heavily involved, if not one of Portas or Turnbull

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Good luck to Brown always gave 100% every time he wore the shirt. Would love to see him end up at Bishop and hopefully take them up to the next level.

Watching the way Burgess organised the team against Sunderland if he slots straight into the first team it wouldn't surprise me if he gets the nod for the captain's armband.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:51 pm

As a Dad I can completely understand- you can never get those years back with your kids
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 pm

I think ideally a captain should be a centre half, so Burgess would be my pick.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:47 pm

Ah the old "a captain should play CB" argument again...worst argument ever.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:30 pm

lo36789 wrote:Ah the old "a captain should play CB" argument again...worst argument ever.
Don't bite. Pete's doing his usual routine of deliberately posting something nonsensical and without logic to see if it winds people up.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:59 pm

Not at all, I think someone in the heart of the defence is in the best position to lead the team.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Why is that?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Because central defence is the focal point of the team . He/she has a pivotal role to play when the other team has the ball by organising his/her defence. A good defender will be conscious of all around him/her and not just concentrating on his/her own game where as a forward tends to be single minded in his role and tends to think more individually. Capt should be a central defender . A very high percentage of successful teams had central defenders as capt.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:53 pm

Quakerz wrote:
bga wrote:Cant remember how it works but presume he was under contract does that mean we might receive a transfer fee for him?
If he can't play for us, there is no point holding out for much of a fee.

Otherwise we have a player on our books who can't play but who is costing a weekly wage - one that needs to be freed up to sign a replacement.

I'm well gutted about this - first The HITMAN, now Gary Brown. I'm going back to bed.
Interesting point you make, so if a player is under contract he gets paid a weekly wage whether he is playing or not, or is it still based on appearances? Technically you could argue he "can still play for us" (home games maybe?) whilst a transfer is being sorted out. I note you are in bed now so no doubt you will read this when eating your Coco pops in the morning!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:26 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Because central defence is the focal point of the team . He/she has a pivotal role to play when the other team has the ball by organising his/her defence. A good defender will be conscious of all around him/her and not just concentrating on his/her own game where as a forward tends to be single minded in his role and tends to think more individually. Capt should be a central defender . A very high percentage of successful teams had central defenders as capt.
I disagree with everything you've put. All of what you've said is supposition and opinion with nothing to back it up.

Central defence is not the focal point of the team. That is way too simplistic. It is a team game. All positions are the focal point depending on a whole host of factors.

"Strikers think more individually" - nonsense. You've made it up.

"A very high percentage of successful teams had a central defender as captain" - and just as many had captains in other positions. No team is successful because of the position of its captain. Skill, ability, fitness, team mentality, spirit and tactics come into it more.

A captain in football is largely irrelevant. They have little tactical input (that all comes from the manager and coaches). They tend to be more experienced and offer leadership on the pitch, but then so do other experienced or talented players on the pitch, not exclusively the captain.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:50 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:The lad was a big reason we won the play offs aswell
In the two play off games this year he was outstanding, leading by example and making things happen. :clap: :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

walshys_wingman_11

Post by walshys_wingman_11 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:38 pm

Gramps, have a look at the England teams who have played in semi finals or better at tournaments . In 1966,1990,1996 and 2015 . The captains in all four semi finals and one final were ... Bobby Moore,terry butcher,tony Adams and Steph houghton .... All central defenders. No coincidence in my book .

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:34 am

Didn't Philipp Lahm a right back come centre midfielder captain Germany and Bayern München? Isn't Lionel Messi captain of one of the most successful Barcelona teams as gramps said it is irrelevant.

Italy have won more major honours than us recently, their captains armband just goes to the player with the most caps on the pitch.

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:44 am

I wouldn't be keen on having a new signing as captain. I don't think the captain should always be the best player either.

The most important qualities in a captain are attitude and leadership. I'm thinking Hunter? Or even Mitchell?
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:08 am

Darlo will wrote:I wouldn't be keen on having a new signing as captain. I don't think the captain should always be the best player either.

The most important qualities in a captain are attitude and leadership. I'm thinking Hunter? Or even Mitchell?
Both those players are too quiet on the pitch to be captain. there's no rule for positions being best captains. you just need someone who will lead by example and be positive and vocal on the pitch. Would have no problem with Turnbull or Burgess being captain as long as they lead by example as Brown did.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 am

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Gramps, have a look at the England teams who have played in semi finals or better at tournaments . In 1966,1990,1996 and 2015 . The captains in all four semi finals and one final were ... Bobby Moore,terry butcher,tony Adams and Steph houghton .... All central defenders. No coincidence in my book .

So if we'd given Phil Jagielka the armband last summer, we'd have reached the World Cup semi-finals? Your argument is without logic.

John Terry and Rio Ferdinand were captains in the past decade, neither of them had much success.

I can name countless examples of non-central defenders captaining sides to success. But I'm not wasting any more energy getting involved in such a ridiculous argument.

And your World Cup 1990 example is flawed - Bryan Robson and Peter Shilton also had the captain's armband too at that tournament.

Success of sides is decided by team skill and ability, having superior tactics, having a good team spirit and a positive mentality, among many other things. It is nothing to do with whether the holder of the irrelevant captain's position is a centre back.

If you think the position of the captain has an impact on a team's performance, I'm staggered. It's nonsense.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:49 am

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Gramps, have a look at the England teams who have played in semi finals or better at tournaments . In 1966,1990,1996 and 2015 . The captains in all four semi finals and one final were ... Bobby Moore,terry butcher,tony Adams and Steph houghton .... All central defenders. No coincidence in my book .
Liverpool won the champions league with Gerrard as captain, Man Utd won it with Keane as captain (and Schmeichel in the final in his absence).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:32 pm

I can only think people mistake the ideology of needing a 'leader' at the back with that person having to be nominated as captain.

As I tell any skippers that are being a pain and try to suggest that because they have an armband they are somewhat allowed to question and query everything "you are just your teams nominated tosser"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:10 pm

walshys_wingman_11 wrote:Because central defence is the focal point of the team . He/she has a pivotal role to play when the other team has the ball by organising his/her defence. A good defender will be conscious of all around him/her and not just concentrating on his/her own game where as a forward tends to be single minded in his role and tends to think more individually. Capt should be a central defender . A very high percentage of successful teams had central defenders as capt.
Exactly, couldn't have put it better myself.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:23 pm

You couldn't have put it better but you are still wrong.

As far as I can tell, there is no obvious advantage to a central defender being captain - unless the central defender in question happens to be the best man for the job at the time.

Personally I'd always thought that a centre midfielder would always be the best choice if position matters, but as Darlogramps and others have argued, position doesn't really matter.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:02 pm

England lost in semi finals in 1990, 1996 and in 2015 all with a central defender as captain.

No coincidence that they lost 75% of semi finals when they had a central defender as captain?

Those teams got to semi finals because of how well they performed in the tournament, not because of the playing position of the captain

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Just thought I'd check out the site for any news updates as hadn't been on for a day or two, and I find this. Damnation; my favourite player resigns. Well he had to leave us sometime, but at least it was on his terms and it was his wish, so I join in all the others in wishing him well. We will never forget what he has done for Darlington on the pitch; he has terrific insight in as much as how he reads the game, and much skill.
I'll remember the look of sheer joy on his face whenever we scored, particularly so when he put one away himself. Once described himself as a hairy-arsed pipe fitter from Durham, no, that should read an exceptional talent and an asset to Darlington football club. Great bloke.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:25 am

spen666 wrote:

England lost in semi finals in 1990, 1996 and in 2015 all with a central defender as captain.

No coincidence that they lost 75% of semi finals when they had a central defender as captain?

Those teams got to semi finals because of how well they performed in the tournament, not because of the playing position of the captain
Fuck off.

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Gary Brown has been a rock on which MG has built his team around over the last 3 seasons. Maybe not blessed with sublime skills, however any shortfall made up in absolute commitment, effort and leadership by example.

Will forever remember that fine save as stand in keeper at Lancaster.

On top of that a first class gentleman and joy to speak with, always approachable.

Will be missed and wherever he lands they will have a superb asset.
Good luck Gary and family.

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Don't know the fella but seems a decent chap. I wish him and his young family well. However, don't see this being overly detrimental to our ambitions for 15-16. Gray should've sort to address the RB situation after the last kick v Bamber Bridge. Can't see the other clubs getting overly giddy as the prospect of us losing Brown. As per a previous post, our 3rd or 4th choice CB.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:57 am

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Signed for Shildon.. All the best Browny

Sat ont shitter