Any news from tonight's forum?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

D_F_C
Team Supported: Darlington

Any news from tonight's forum?

Post by D_F_C » Thu May 21, 2015 8:52 pm

As above

tezza

Re: Any news from tonight's forum?

Post by tezza » Fri May 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Mitchell staying
Bell to leave
Mota gone back to France

Alan White White White will become part of the coaching team in time HOORAY

BM Playing surface a priority: Rightly so.

Great evening and a good set of Yorkie guys present

Eee Bah Gum

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri May 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Trevor Oakley provided a useful summary on twitter.

https://trevoroblog.wordpress.com/2015/ ... rlo-tykes/

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Interesting that he's had a couple of job offers - I wonder if he mentioned whether they were management opportunities or part of a coaching team, possibly joining up with Penney or Liddle again?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 22, 2015 5:13 pm

Anyone able to copy and paste the article into this thread as the link isn't working for me.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri May 22, 2015 5:31 pm

princes town wrote:Trevor Oakley provided a useful summary on twitter.

https://trevoroblog.wordpress.com/2015/ ... rlo-tykes/
That's great, Thanks very much

JE93

Post by JE93 » Fri May 22, 2015 5:41 pm

(the article for those who couldn't get the link)

Last night saw the Martin Gray answer a host of questions as part of a talk-in organised by Geoff Thompson of the Darlo Tykes. The event was compared by Tony Waters and there was around 40-50 in attendance. Without going in to too much detail, a few of the night’s salient points were:

All the players are now contracted. The only player that has been released is Nelson Mota, who has returned to France.
He is expecting Mark Bell to leave the club. Gray has been aware for some time that Bell wants to play local football next season. It would appear that Bell is contracted for next season as the club are currently negotiating the transfer of Bell to another side.
Gray is looking to sign a goalkeeper who can challenge Peter Jameson like Bell has. This could mean signing a ‘keeper who could, in fact, be better than Jameson.
Gray confirmed that Tom Portas’ “long-term contract” was a 3-year deal.
Gray doesn’t expect to lose any players this summer to clubs higher up the league or to professional football although if a player did have the opportunity and the deal for the club was right, he would not stand in their way.
Despite being in the first batch of confirmations, Liam Hatch was, in fact, the last player to sign a new contract following negotiations with Gray. Gray clearly happy to have retained his services, both on the pitch but also for his impact in the dressing room.
Gray explained that Alan White will undertake some coaching duties as well as playing and will support Mark Fanning who is going to be running the reserve team.
Gray explained that Graeme Armstrong had his operation on Thursday morning. The op was the better of two options for Armstron. It required the NHS finding around £17,000 to fund the op. Should be back for pre-season. Gray suggested that the club will be looking to do a bucket collection for the hospital to try and give them some money back given the considerable expense. It is hoped that with the procedure, Armstrong will not end up being diabetic.
Amar Purewal is making good progress. Difficult to say when he’ll be back. He is currently under the supervision of Adam Reed at Middlesbrough FC for rehabilitation.
The players will be spending the first month of pre-season (from early June) under the supervision of one of the players who will be working with them on their fitness and conditioning. (I’m guessing this is Ian Watson)
Gray is looking forward to seeing Nathan Cartman linking up with Rob Youhill, given their successful partnership at Harrogate RA.
In terms of bringing players in, Gray is looking at bringing another two or three in. He will only bring in players who are better than what he already has. He’s been fielding calls from agents and players from all over UK and Europe. Will be holding open trials and reviewing CVs.
With regards player recruitment, Gray feels the North East is pretty limited. He is frustrated and the lack of perceived value due to high wages and crazy transfer fee demands. Is looking at the logistics of bringing players from further afield. Would look at putting car schools together.
Gray has been given the go-ahead from the board to appoint two new scouts. Harry Dunn took in over 90 games last season. To aid player recruitment, new scouts will be hired to cover the North East and North West.
Gray highlighted that Stephen Thompson had played for the last month with a broken toe. He was having painkilling injections before, during and after matches.
In terms of Blackwell Meadow, Gray feels it is likely to be September or October before we will get there. There’s been no spades in the ground yet.
Gray’s only request for the development was that the pitch be of football league standard.
Over the last couple of years, he’s had a couple of Football League clubs approach him to be manager. Turned down immediately. Gray has no real appetite to return to the full-time game unless it is with Darlington.
The second half of the evening came to an end early as Gray’s phone was ringing off the hook with a potential deal in the offing. With that in mind, he got off. Watch this space!

Overall, the evening was excellent. Gray was a little less candid than he has been previously although he was excellent value. As you can imagine, he expressed a number of personal opinions but they shall remain with those in attendance. Hopefully, I’ve covered all of the main points of fact(ish).

Come on Darlo!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 22, 2015 5:52 pm

I like his comment that he's not looking for a full-time position unless it's with Darlo. Were there any players at the forum and if so did they field any questions from the audience?

Ricardo darlo

Post by Ricardo darlo » Fri May 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Well done Geoff for organizing the night sound's like it went well,sorry I missed it due to work commitments,but things are all sounding positive.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Sensible and logical for Mark Fanning to coach the reserve side, with White helping out.

Certainly a better idea than some of the morons on here, who wanted Atkinson shunted to one side with White replacing him because he shouts a lot.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 23, 2015 6:27 am

Darlogramps wrote:Sensible and logical for Mark Fanning to coach the reserve side, with White helping out.

Certainly a better idea than some of the morons on here, who wanted Atkinson shunted to one side with White replacing him because he shouts a lot.
The only downside of this is that White will be involved with the first team on most Saturdays, so he'll only be able to coach the youngsters.

divas

Post by divas » Sat May 23, 2015 8:07 am

JE93 wrote:(the article for those who couldn't get the link)

He is expecting Mark Bell to leave the club. Gray has been aware for some time that Bell wants to play local football next season. It would appear that Bell is contracted for next season as the club are currently negotiating the transfer of Bell to another side.
Gray is looking to sign a goalkeeper who can challenge Peter Jameson like Bell has. This could mean signing a ‘keeper who could, in fact, be better than Jameson!
Reading between the lines, this could be a very exciting signing.

4 times a Quaker?!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 23, 2015 8:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:Sensible and logical for Mark Fanning to coach the reserve side, with White helping out.

The only downside of this is that White will be involved with the first team on most Saturdays, so he'll only be able to coach the youngsters.
Given we don't know how exactly the arrangement will work, I'm confused at how you can start passing judgement Pete.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 23, 2015 8:19 am

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:24 am

divas wrote:
JE93 wrote:(the article for those who couldn't get the link)

Gray is looking to sign a goalkeeper who can challenge Peter Jameson like Bell has. This could mean signing a ‘keeper who could, in fact, be better than Jameson!
Reading between the lines, this could be a very exciting signing.

4 times a Quaker?!
Sammy Russell? Wouldn't be too happy unless he's first choice I'd expect, but a rather mouth watering prospect nevertheless! Or is Hodgy coming back as back up keeper lol.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

divas

Post by divas » Sat May 23, 2015 8:59 am

It's obviously a huge long shot given he could quite easily still play in the conference full-time, but I've heard a few things from separate people over the past few weeks, one comment direct from the horses mouth which has made me think, just maybe.....

Most likely 2+2=5

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat May 23, 2015 9:10 am

divas wrote:It's obviously a huge long shot given he could quite easily still play in the conference full-time, but I've heard a few things from separate people over the past few weeks, one comment direct from the horses mouth which has made me think, just maybe.....

Most likely 2+2=5
Still, until the fat lady sings!!!!! I wonder if he has any designs on coaching in a couple of years.......

Don't you just love pre-season lol
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat May 23, 2015 12:16 pm

Isn't Sammy Russell wanting to come back up here? Wouldn't surprise me if he come back.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Russell would be a ridiculous signing, and I can't see it happening. However, I would have said the same before we signed Hatch last year. Saying that, if Russell is wanting to return to the North East, then if Gateshead don't want him, we are the next best option.

Interesting stuff about Gray and other jobs. It's great to see a manager (and players!) have such loyalty to the club. It's something I hope we don't lose too much as we make our way back up the pyramid. Stuff like the bucket collections for the hospital is wonderful to see

Great that MG is pushing for a high quality pitch too.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat May 23, 2015 1:12 pm

divas wrote:It's obviously a huge long shot given he could quite easily still play in the conference full-time, but I've heard a few things from separate people over the past few weeks, one comment direct from the horses mouth which has made me think, just maybe.....

Most likely 2+2=5
You've heard Sam Russell say something indicating he might come back?
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sat May 23, 2015 1:36 pm

I liked the line where he said he’s been fielding calls from agents and players from all over UK and Europe. I think that shows that people are starting to sit up and take notice of us, because we're on the up and up.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat May 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Mr_Tibbs wrote:I liked the line where he said he’s been fielding calls from agents and players from all over UK and Europe. I think that shows that people are starting to sit up and take notice of us, because we're on the up and up.
Or he was sending up one of our old managers.

DC

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Sun May 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Given we don't know how exactly the arrangement will work, I'm confused at how you can start passing judgement Pete.
Darlo_Pete's posts are more vacuous than a vacuum so no need for you to be confused.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun May 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Its been weeks since the planning approval, so I wonder what is holding up the ground redevelopment, making it late.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun May 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Its been weeks since the planning approval, so I wonder what is holding up the ground redevelopment, making it late.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Sun May 24, 2015 3:56 pm

It was said that the development wouldn't commence until the end of May beginning of June when all the rugby commitments were finished for the season.

divas

Post by divas » Sun May 24, 2015 4:13 pm

Should hopefully be starting this week.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Would be great if the club could commit to a little kind of time lapse photo. Just go and stand on the balcony once a week at BM at take a picture of the building progress, send it out on the official site and on twitter and facebook. Really keep it fresh in the minds of people what the fans of the club have achieved in 3 short years and that the club is coming home.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun May 24, 2015 4:59 pm

I'd ask if the gopro's could be used to do that over the summer but have no idea what life they have - and also what the chances are of them being robbed...

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun May 24, 2015 6:14 pm

Great news that the squad is just about intact and that there may be an addition arriving soon.

I wonder if Darlo have considered playing 3:5:2 or 5:3:2 so that they can play any 3 from Brown, Hunter, White & Hatch at the back.