Graeme Armstrong's operation

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Al 68
Team Supported: Darlington

Graeme Armstrong's operation

Post by Big Al 68 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:38 am

Today Graeme is having his op. http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... _recovery/. If anyone wants to send good wishes to him you can message him on twitter. His user name is @G_Armstrong9 :thumbup:

theoriginalfatcat

Re: Graeme Armstrong's operation

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 21, 2015 9:10 am

I've just read the article, the picture at the top shows the collision!

Best wishes Graeme, look forward to seeing you back in action next season.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Thu May 21, 2015 10:30 am

Yes, best wishes to Graeme and his family - it says he's going to be under for 8 hours... wow!

Didn't sound too promising what he said about Amar's injury either - I hope he wasn't talking about a timescale starting now :shock:

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 am

To be honest here...I'm fearing for his career.

This sounds like an extremely serious injury to me, it's a vital internal organ that has been damaged. The first priority is his health and having the ability to lead a normal life, football will be way down that list.

Mind you the article seems to be quite positive regarding his chances of getting back so maybe I'm over reacting.

All the best Graeme.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 am

Quakerz wrote:To be honest here...I'm fearing for his career.

This sounds like an extremely serious injury to me, it's a vital internal organ that has been damaged. The first priority is his health and having the ability to lead a normal life, football will be way down that list.

All the best Graeme.

Its never nice to hear of anyone suffering a serious injury.

Even more so when its a part time player who isn't able to retire and live off his over inflated earnings.

Hopefully he has some insurance / generous employers to help him financially until he is able to work again.

Anyone know what the financial position is, and if he is not receiving his salary, has any thought been given to a whip round to raise some funds for him? I am sure fans of many clubs would chip in to help him through this financially.

Hears hoping for a quick recovery to health and hopefully to playing again

AnthonyP

Post by AnthonyP » Thu May 21, 2015 10:50 am

Mind you the article seems to be quite positive regarding his chances of getting back so maybe I'm over reacting.

All the best Graeme.
Agreed. Get well soon Graeme.

The article gives a telling glimpse into the mental dangers facing Amar as well. I have been a little worried about him completing his recovery back to the first team for a while now. The mental challenge can be every bit as hard as the physical recovery, and I hope Amar is still as bullish about recovering as Graeme clearly is.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu May 21, 2015 11:25 am

Spen he is a full time teacher at a High School, i suspect he will be paid whilst he is off sick and also the club will have employee insurance and liability insurance as well as cover for this sort of thing I imagine, financially I don't think it will be an issue, the long term health aspect and chance of diabetes will be the most concerning thing to him and his family, 8 hours is a massive amount of time to be under and on the table.

A whip around for a big bunch of grapes or something is not a bad idea

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu May 21, 2015 12:10 pm

spen666 wrote:

All the best Graeme.

Even more so when its a part time player who isn't able to retire and live off his over inflated earnings.

Hopefully he has some insurance / generous employers to help him financially until he is able to work again.

Anyone know what the financial position is, and if he is not receiving his salary, has any thought been given to a whip round to raise some funds for him? I am sure fans of many clubs would chip in to help him through this financially.

He's a PE Teacher, so I think being a civil servant he should be OK for sick pay etc, though I stand to be corrected.

And as far as football earnings go, I suppose the injury couldn't have happened at a better time, I'm not sure that we would pay players over the close season anyway.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

loobyloo

Post by loobyloo » Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm

All the best for a complete recovery Graeme.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 21, 2015 12:39 pm

All the best Graeme, make sure you come back even better and stronger. I'm sure everything will go well tomorrow.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Thu May 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Fingers crossed he's back on his feet soon
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Quakerz wrote:....

He's a PE Teacher, so I think being a civil servant he should be OK for sick pay etc, though I stand to be corrected.

And as far as football earnings go, I suppose the injury couldn't have happened at a better time, I'm not sure that we would pay players over the close season anyway.

I hadn't seen he was a teacher when I posted.

He should be ok for 6 months full pay whilst on sick as a teacher.

glad he won't be without his salary from his day job.

Its a big issue for part time players when they are injured. Too many are under insured

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu May 21, 2015 6:53 pm

My thoughts too.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Such a shame when he was closing in on his move to Wrexham as well...

In all seriousness hope he gets well soon the whole operation and injury sounds awful. Armstrong is the sort of player I like, he loves the rough and tumble of the game and rarely whinges. You will see him and defenders pulling, pushing each other never asking or expecting fouls and after it they will just shake hands with each other.

Allan Quatermain

Post by Allan Quatermain » Thu May 21, 2015 9:40 pm

Op done. He's now going to be in intensive care for 2 days and is expected to be in full training and playing football again by mid July. He's not expected to have long term diabetes as a result of the op.
Alun's promise to the fans: “I’ll make sure I’ll bring players in that are value for money and I want players that want to play for Darlington Football Club, want to progress and move up the league and show the fans that passion.”

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu May 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Allan Quatermain wrote:Op done. He's now going to be in intensive care for 2 days and is expected to be in full training and playing football again by mid July. He's not expected to have long term diabetes as a result of the op.
That's brilliant news.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu May 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Fantastic news for him and the club

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Fri May 22, 2015 9:21 am

Brilliant news. Just a reminder Graeme, take all the time you need, and DON'T try to come back too soon. We'd rather see you fit later, than putting yourself back by trying to force things early. :roll:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 22, 2015 11:27 am

Great news - sounded like a very complicated procedure so glad it has gone to plan.

Hopefully he's back to his best physically and mentally in time for the new season.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Fri May 22, 2015 11:43 am

Quakerz wrote:
spen666 wrote:

All the best Graeme.

Hes' not a civil servant as such but will be covered by the teachers pension. Public sector pensions are very good on this sort of thing normally.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun May 24, 2015 7:18 pm

Professional cyclists & skiers have maybe come back from such injuries.

I stress the "maybe", but I suspect the level of operation of a pancreas may not be relevant to athletic performance.

Being a teacher may not automatically mean permanency, or a civil service cushy number nowadays.

Quick recovery hoped for!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri May 29, 2015 6:15 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Professional cyclists & skiers have maybe come back from such injuries.
Unusual sentence Neil. The either have come back - or not, surely.

Anyway, how is Graeme? Does anyone know?

edit for Spyman :) That's an unusual sentence Neil, Pro cyclists & skiers have either come back - or not, surely.
Last edited by theoriginalfatcat on Fri May 29, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 29, 2015 8:53 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Neil Johnson wrote:Professional cyclists & skiers have maybe come back from such injuries.
Unusual sentence Neil. The either have come back - or not, surely.

Anyway, how is Graeme? Does anyone know?
Unusual sentence yourself.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote: Anyway, how is Graeme? Does anyone know?
Had a bit craic on with Gary Brown today and he was saying he is still in hospital.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:34 pm

There was a 1/3 page article by Armstrong on page 31 of the Non League Paper on Sunday

He's recovering well - can't play competitive games till end of July and has lost 2 stones in weight.

He sounds very positive about the future

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:30 pm

spen666 wrote:There was a 1/3 page article by Armstrong on page 31 of the Non League Paper on Sunday

He's recovering well - can't play competitive games till end of July and has lost 2 stones in weight.

He sounds very positive about the future

Good to hear that :clap:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Shouldn't be rushed getting back into competitive games, but hopefully OK for reserve friendlies for progressing towards match fitness. Losing some weight may be blessing, as it may help Graeme to concentrate on muscle strengthening.