Congratulations to Bristol Rovers

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Congratulations to Bristol Rovers

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun May 17, 2015 11:05 pm

On winning the Conference play-offs 5-3 on penalties against Grimsby Town. Intifada a friend from Bristol Rovers has posted on here a few times, so well pleased for him. I believe that Bristol Rovers are the first club to bounce straight back to the Football League after one year since 2005.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: Congratulations to Bristol Rovers

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon May 18, 2015 5:22 am

I'm so happy for how the Grimsby fans must be feeling right now :D
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon May 18, 2015 5:30 am

Yeh I have to agree, I don't like them either. I miss our usual 0-1 at their place as well.

Wing Commander Darlo

Post by Wing Commander Darlo » Mon May 18, 2015 8:53 am

I was pleased too, and then I found myself trying to remember how they helped in our demise and why I was taking such satisfaction from them staying down. Wasn't it a complaint to the league that we were trying to sign a player as cover when we were under a transfer embargo?

divas

Post by divas » Mon May 18, 2015 9:31 am

Wing Commander Darlo wrote:I was pleased too, and then I found myself trying to remember how they helped in our demise and why I was taking such satisfaction from them staying down. Wasn't it a complaint to the league that we were trying to sign a player as cover when we were under a transfer embargo?
I was trying to recall the same. I remember having an axe to grind with Grimsby and finding it hilarious they'd been relegated and have missed out narrowly ever since they've been consigned to the Conference.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon May 18, 2015 9:34 am

Yeah something about a complaint made by Grimsby about us signing a player. I remember Quakerz thread "It was Grimsby who grassed us up".

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 am

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon May 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Think I'm on my own with this one. But I am gutted Grimsby didn't win, developed a liking for them.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Mon May 18, 2015 4:22 pm

AndyPark wrote:Think I'm on my own with this one. But I am gutted Grimsby didn't win, developed a liking for them.
Not on your own mate, as i lived near them for several years, I preferred them over Cunthtorpe United so always keep an eye on how they do

Darlo_H

Post by Darlo_H » Mon May 18, 2015 5:23 pm

Re-reading all that absolutely boiled my piss. Still, nice to see how far we've come between then and now.
Jazz Maverick wrote:If I win the 50/50 draw I'm going to use the money to pay a tramp to throw dog s*** at you.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Mon May 18, 2015 5:34 pm

As an uncovered player we used to play Grimsby quite regularly and I have to say their lads were the best group who we played and were always very accommodating so gutted for them but if they keep some of their players and add to it then they might not be far off the title next year

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 pm

Delighted Grimsby choked again. Third play-offs in a row they've failed in I believe.

Grimsby are about the only club I genuinely dislike after the way they went on, kicking us while we were down.

Their repeated failures are something to be laughed at. Karma, I think it's called.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue May 19, 2015 8:56 am

Living in Somerset in my teens we watched City one week and Rovers the next to keep everyone happy. Always had a soft spot for the gasheads and the long demolished Tote End.

Dany Krap

Post by Dany Krap » Tue May 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Darlogramps wrote:Delighted Grimsby choked again. Third play-offs in a row they've failed in I believe.

Grimsby are about the only club I genuinely dislike after the way they went on, kicking us while we were down.

Their repeated failures are something to be laughed at. Karma, I think it's called.
Karma is chanting to your rivals that you'll never play them again................Then finding out you're right :sick:

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Thu May 21, 2015 10:49 am

Play-offs are nervy affairs and should be avoided (not by just finishing below them again!).

Darlo may have no choice, but a play-off route next season, as I suppose more teams will present themselves as stiff opposition and club funds may be limited. Big gates, increased sponsorships, cup runs etc may improve the situation within next season though.

Once we can arrange lucrative home pre-season friendlies and the Raj debts are paid off there should be a bigger and better squad available to improve the likelihood of automatic promotions.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu May 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Play-offs are nervy affairs and should be avoided (not by just finishing below them again!).

Darlo may have no choice, but a play-off route next season, as I suppose more teams will present themselves as stiff opposition and club funds may be limited. Big gates, increased sponsorships, cup runs etc may improve the situation within next season though.

Once we can arrange lucrative home pre-season friendlies and the Raj debts are paid off there should be a bigger and better squad available to improve the likelihood of automatic promotions.
The f*ck has this got to do with Bristol Rovers beating Grimsby?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu May 21, 2015 8:26 pm

Maybe the gas?