Next season expectations

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Next season expectations

Post by JE93 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Going stir crazy without Darlo on a weekend so wondering what everyone's opinions are on next season.

League Level
Got to be honest don't really know anything about the level of football in the league. When we played Blyth in the cup at home we more than held our own, but fell to pieces at their place albeit to some good finishing. Wondering if it is similar to 1st division in the sense it will be something of a 3 tier league. Tier 1: your top teams (Salford, Darlo, Northwich, Spenny) who you expect to be up there and are tough to beat. Tier 2: The teams who are not good enough for top of the leauge but better than those in Tier 3, (Clitheroe, Bursclough etc) when you play them you know if your team plays well your extra quality will get you the win. Tier 3: The relegation dog fight teams (Padiham, Prescott, New Mills) they know from the start they will struggle, the teams you beat 99 times out of 100. Wondering if it will be similar to this

It will obviously be a step up but don't know how large. Looking at the league from last year I'd expect that the top 5 will be made up of a selection from; Darlo, Salford, Ilkeston, Blyth, Ashton, Workington and Skelmersdale. I think we'll be very competitive with a few additions and we can have another good season. I would hope we could get into the top 5 really keep our momentum going. It would be a good season if we finished in the playoffs at the end of the season even if it was a defeat and we didn't get promoted.

Cup Competitions
I'd hope we can get a good little run put together in either the FA Cup or Trophy, would be brilliant to get ourselves some exposure in the media through a run and to bring in some welcome funds through big attendances and prize money, which could be used towards further ground improvements.

The country and league cups don't interest me, keep playing the youth team in those for me, nothing really to be gained from them.

Squad
Goalkeepers: (Jameson, Bell) Jameson has had a really good season very promising number 1 with potential to go higher i think. If the rumors are correct about Bell moving on then we will need to bring someone in as cover. Hope it's not true it's great to have someone with bells experience on the bench.

Defenders: (Brown, White, Hunter, Watson) All of them have had good seasons. It might look like we are a little short at the back but with Hatch, Scott, Galbraith and Mitchell all able to fill in we may be okay for cover. I may be tempted to bring in a cover right back for if Brown is missing, although this might not be needed if Gray thinks Lovegreen can make the step up (I haven't seen enough of the lad to know either way).

Midfielders: (Portas, Scott, Galbraith) I think we could do with another CM. The kind of player who get their foot on the ball and likes to dribble forwards to give us something a little different in terms of style.

Wide Players: (Thompson, Mitchell, Mota, Youhill) First of all the question here is who is staying? According to rumors Mota may be going, and I for one think someone will take a gamble on Mitchell in the summer so we could be without both. That being the case I'd like us to bring in one more winger, we also have the benefit of Purwal, Galbraith and Watson who could play wide left if required. Just on a personal note id be quite interested to see Purwal play wide left a little more next season.

Forwards: (Cartman, Armstrong, Dowson, Hatch, Purwal) It looks strong on paper but from the looks of it we'll be starting in August without Armstrong and Purwal fit. So looks a little thin on the ground. However this can be supplemented by Thompson pushed up front of a few games and Pennal coming in to the senior team see how he fairs.

All in all think we're looking for maybe 3/4 additions depending how many of the rumored players leaving there are.

divas

Re: Next season expectations

Post by divas » Sat May 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Ilkeston won't be as strong next season, I believe their budget has been cut somewhat compared to last season

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat May 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I read somewhere that the Skelmersdale budget was cut during the season just finished,,I think that is why they dropped out of the running

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:28 pm

haha just goes to show my lack of knowledge is true then. But thats fine with me as with those 2 out the way by my predictions we are now definitely in that top 5 haha :thumbup:

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat May 16, 2015 2:58 pm

I think we will see some of this years U18's making regular appearances of the bench next season Pennel, Lovegreen, Mitchell & Williamson are all more than capable of playing competitively even in this higher division I think, especially the front 2 guys.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Id take the Play-offs right now.
Don't think its beyond us.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Sat May 16, 2015 3:43 pm

"Don't think it's beyond us"?

For a club of this size at this level, play offs is an expectation, it's as simple as that. It's not a "hope" that we can "maybe" achieve.

I know I said I'd be happy with 2 promotions in 5 years so we have time to build the club which effectively means 3 seasons of "failure", and I'm cool with that, but "failure" as in finishing 10th is not an option. The failure would have to be losing in the play offs/just missing the play offs type failure.

Going back to Darlo means an initial uplift in crowds and a few seasons of always being in and around the mix is the way to turn the initial extras into long term fans.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sat May 16, 2015 4:10 pm

.... with all due respect to some well organised clubs in the E Premier, and some with long standing experience at level 3 ..... we are still a big fish in a small pond. Like others, I might be able to cope with losing in the playoffs next season, but thats the worse case scenario in my eyes.

Make no mistake guys .... Martin Gray is going for it next season, and it's high time some fans stop underplaying our chances.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat May 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Agree with all of what you say ADIO, M.G will be looking for promotion again it's his competitive nature,and our aim as a fan owned club.onwards and upwards,can we do it yes we can. :thumbup:

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:46 am

I'm sure I saw in the Echo that the squad is returning to duty next month. If so, is that earlier than normal? I'd say that this is a strong indication that Martin wants the squad up and running on full throttle from the word go, implying that we are going for it!
I see no reason why Salford and ourselves won't be challenging for top spot again next season, after all Curzon Ashton went up at the first time of asking and Ramsbottom held their own despite losing a chunk of their team and staff to Salford.
A cup run would be welcome in both the FA Cup and the FA Trophy but as always will depend on the draw we get, Salford away would be a challenge for example.
The minor cups (Doodson, Durham etc) are an ideal sounding ground for the Reserves and gives them a competition to go for alongside the Wearside set up, no reason why the youngsters bolsted by the more experienced players in the Reserves shouldn't have a decent crack at them really.
I for one am really excited at the prospect next season brings and won't be dissapointed if we fail to reach the play-offs at least....I'll be gutted!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

Will Smith

Post by Will Smith » Sun May 17, 2015 11:23 am

It will be difficult I reckon, look at FCUM, who must have had the biggest budget in the league, and how long they were stuck at this level

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun May 17, 2015 11:27 am

I'd be delighted if we got in the play-offs - I was thinking top 10 for a while but I think we're all motivated enough to be challenging for a promotion spot at the end of next season. I won't be too disappointed if we have to spend another season building up a head of steam to really make an impact when we eventually get promoted to the Conference North.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Sun May 17, 2015 11:44 am

..... you only have to go back as far as 2010/2011 season to realise a tradition of teams pretty much going to the Conference North from winning promotion from the Evostik/Unibond North .... FCUM took their time at it but were always in the playoffs anyway

I could write a list but I can't be arsed .... notwithstanding ..... there is an inevitability about it all .... Its going to be great fun finding out ....

Check this out ..... http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/archive-402/

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun May 17, 2015 5:39 pm

I sometimes think comparing us with the other teams in a similar position to us is dangerous. I think that teams like Halifax and Chester had their own ground and although I'm not 100% sure about this, didn't have the debt we did?

Also I think that geography isn't quite in our favour. We've taken some of the best players around the area. Areas like Yorkshire and Lancashire have a glut of players to pluck from

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun May 17, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm ooking forward to the new challenge, as the team has improved a lot since their game was spiced up at Northwich and thereafter.

I expect the club to achieve a top 3 finish, with some slight strengthening

Opposition defences should be a bit better organised and opposition strikers be better at assists and finishing.

We need a good start for momentum, consistently good teamwork and discipline, these are clearly possible with the players the club has at its disposal.

Staying in the top 5 (say) will keep the much yearned for improved crowds coming, but a game plan should be in place pre-season to suit the new challenges (e.g. besting big budget rivals that can more readily loan quality players)

Jamoy

Post by Jamoy » Mon May 18, 2015 10:07 am

Next season might be trickier than alot are suggesting. I think we will be more than a match for most teams, but over the past couple of seasons we have played Blyth, Buxton, Ramsbottom and Salford (of the teams we will be meeting again) and don't have good records against them.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 am

FCUM is potentially a bit of a red herring. They apparently (and it's only what i've been told) couldn't take promotion until their ground was ready due to a clause set up between the board in the early days and Bury FC, and no one at the club expected them to progress so quickly. If they were promoted into the conference leagues then they would have had to pay Bury £300K p.a. to share Gigg Lane. This is why this season they played elsewhere as the Bury agreement had expired. I don't know whether it's true or not.

I saw a few of Evo Prem sides last year, and I wasn't impressed with any of them. All the sides I saw were more physical and taller (like Northwhich), and there was a lot less time on the ball. But in terms of playing style and ability, there wasn't much on show.

I'd like to think we can push for the play-offs, but I look at how long it took us to adapt last season to the step up (same for Spenny this season), and I think a top half finish, flirting with the playoffs would be a good base to build on. I think we'll struggle against the likes of Workington, Ashton and Blyth. And Salford will spend again to make sure they're up there.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon May 18, 2015 11:27 am

Play offs at a minimum for me. We can do it :thumbup:

I expect the Evo Prem to be of a slightly better quality, but nothing to over worry us.

On a side note, I'm looking forward to Workington away, that's where the old Feethams floodlights now reside!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon May 18, 2015 11:47 am

dickdarlington wrote:FCUM is potentially a bit of a red herring. They apparently (and it's only what i've been told) couldn't take promotion until their ground was ready due to a clause set up between the board in the early days and Bury FC, and no one at the club expected them to progress so quickly. If they were promoted into the conference leagues then they would have had to pay Bury £300K p.a. to share Gigg Lane. This is why this season they played elsewhere as the Bury agreement had expired. I don't know whether it's true or not.
FCUM despite their big crowds were also only paying the same sort of wages as their NW rivals with gates of 300 - ie 50 or 60 quid a week - because of a) the crippling Gigg Lane rent which was over 100k pa even at this level, and b) some of the profit was going back into the ground funding. It might be all different now, but those were the things I was reading a couple of years ago.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Mon May 18, 2015 2:51 pm

Jamoy wrote:Next season might be trickier than alot are suggesting. I think we will be more than a match for most teams, but over the past couple of seasons we have played Blyth, Buxton, Ramsbottom and Salford (of the teams we will be meeting again) and don't have good records against them.
No your're right our record against these teams isn't great. Ramsbottom (as was) are pretty much Salford. We played alright for part of these games but couldn't sustain it 2nd half.

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Mon May 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Winning it is a must, get us back on football manager!!!!!!!

On a serious note, Play Offs has got to be the aim

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Tue May 19, 2015 9:25 am

Even though Curzon have gone straight through the league at the first time of asking I expect it to be a jump up in standard.

That being said I think we have the squad that if start ok we will be around the playoffs

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Found the thread from a month or so ago.

Have wrote a quick blog on early thoughts on next season.
https://simonhahn89.wordpress.com/2015/ ... xt-season/

With the signings we have made i can't see us not challenging in the top 10 at least.

The squad looks very strong all over now.

While the pre-season might show us a little, we probably will have to wait till the serious games start before we really have a picture of how we will get on

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:08 pm

The last 3 seasons every club we have played have raised their games against us it would appear and this has been backed up by players/managers comments.

I do wonder this season if we will be the team that everyone is out to beat or will Salford have taken that mantle given their high profile owners, hopefully the latter, are we such a big scalp in this league or not?

If the new signings are half as good as reported and raved about I am now full of optimism that a top 3 place is achievable and certainly playoff material.

If we get Amar and Armstrong back in a fit state in a relatively short period of time then this could be another table topping battle this season.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:The last 3 seasons every club we have played have raised their games against us it would appear and this has been backed up by players/managers comments.

I do wonder this season if we will be the team that everyone is out to beat or will Salford have taken that mantle given their high profile owners, hopefully the latter, are we such a big scalp in this league or not?

If the new signings are half as good as reported and raved about I am now full of optimism that a top 3 place is achievable and certainly playoff material.

If we get Amar and Armstrong back in a fit state in a relatively short period of time then this could be another table topping battle this season.
There's no reason that there can only be one team that everyone wants to raise their game against - both Salford and ourselves will be seen by most as the glamorous fixtures for very different reasons.

The signings we've made give me every confidence that we will be among the challengers again - we have brought in 3 new players, 2 established at the level we are moving up to (adding to the fact a number of last seasons squad were already established at that level), and the third signing was reportedly one of our trickier opponents last season.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:53 pm

True Spyman, would be nice not to be the prize scalp this season

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:True Spyman, would be nice not to be the prize scalp this season
...... it hasn't done us much harm over the last three years ...... ;)

2012 - 13 ... Won 40 ... Drawn 2 ... Lost 4 ... GF 145 ... GA 35 ... Pts 122 .. GD + 110
2013 - 14 ... Won 28 ... Drawn 6 ... Lost 8 ... GF 101 ... GA 37 ... Pts 90 .... GD + 64
2014 - 15 ... Won 28 ... Drawn 7 ... Lost 7 ... GF 99 ..... GA 37 ... Pts 91 .... GD + 62

Total Played ... 130

Won 96 ... Drawn ... 15 ... Lost 19 ... GF 345 ... GA ... 109 ... Pts 303 ... GD + 236

...... in fact, I've loved it .... :D

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:00 pm

Yes the last 3 years have been a revelation and there is no reason why our upward progress will come to an end anytime soon.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm confident and some of the budget cuts in other clubs may be down to Salford and ourselves being in their league next season.

However being a Darlo fan of many decades there are always worries....

PR, crowd & sponsorships lost if the Back To Darlo timeplan is delayed big style.

Missing a quicker & experienced Right back.

Delayed return to Match fitness for the 2 injured strikers.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:I'm confident and some of the budget cuts in other clubs may be down to Salford and ourselves being in their league next season.

However being a Darlo fan of many decades there are always worries....

PR, crowd & sponsorships lost if the Back To Darlo timeplan is delayed big style.

Missing a quicker & experienced Right back.

Delayed return to Match fitness for the 2 injured strikers.
..... equally as many decades .... ;) .... and ..... on the other hand .... :think:

... as volunteers go, the PR side of things has been pretty impressive in all fairness ....

... "big style" ... aint in the equation .... and we aren't building a new stadium ffs .... the crowds will still be the best in our new league, and the sponsorships are all waiting in the wings ...

... Browny might actually continue his impressive form shown at RB that he showed in the big games at the end of the season ...

... our two injured strikers will be back sooner rather than later and might actually find it hard to force their way straight back into the team because of the awesome form of those already there .... ;)

Decades of optimism man!! ... It's never failed me yet .... :thumbup: