Hatchy stays! Welcome Rob Youhill!!

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

KCChiefs
Team Supported: Darlington/Forest

Re: Hatchy stays! Welcome Rob Youhill!!

Post by KCChiefs » Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 am

Jameson
Griffiths/Hunter/White/Galbraith
Portas/Mctiernan
Youhill/Tommo/Mitchell
Cartman

95 points and another title... :D

dickdarlington
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by dickdarlington » Fri May 15, 2015 11:38 am

Hmmm. No Watson, no Scott, no Armstrong, no Purewal, no Brown (although he's third choice for me). Not likely.

KCChiefs

Post by KCChiefs » Fri May 15, 2015 12:28 pm

Sorry was based on Armstong/Amar not being fit and wishful thinking...

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Fri May 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Who is this Griffiths and Mcteiren? Getting slightly ahead of yourself aren't you.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri May 15, 2015 5:13 pm

quakerste wrote:Who is this Griffiths and Mcteiren? Getting slightly ahead of yourself aren't you.
Kallum Griffiths is the right back from Spennymoor, nearly scored from 45 yards in the playoffs when the score was 2-2.

Dave McTiernan is the centre midfielder we attempted to sign last season from Whitby, he turned us down and signed a new deal with Whitby. This attempt then caused Whitby manager Darren Williams to kick off about Darlo.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 pm

How long a contract has Portas signed?

KCChiefs

Post by KCChiefs » Sat May 16, 2015 12:24 am

quakerste wrote:Who is this Griffiths and Mcteiren? Getting slightly ahead of yourself aren't you.
Hence the words 'wishful thinking' ! jesus.....

Griffiths and Mctiernan would easily be in our starting XI however would be happy with Brown and one other...

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 16, 2015 6:11 am

KCChiefs wrote:Jameson
Griffiths/Hunter/White/Galbraith
Portas/Mctiernan
Youhill/Tommo/Mitchell
Cartman

95 points and another title... :D
I like griffiths too, I don't know much about mctiernan but heard good things. Personally I believe we've had 3 consecutive seasons attaining over 90 points using primarily 4-4-2, I wouldn't see the need to change. But the signings would improve the squad

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Sat May 16, 2015 7:36 am

Reading the echo article, my only concern is whether our longish ball game will suit Rob Youill style of play.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat May 16, 2015 8:22 am

With first signing Cartman, then Youill. I'd like to think that our style of play will evolve..As was seen at the end of last season, we can and do play good football a lot of the time and it is effective.
The long ball to no-one in particular comes when we become frustrated.
It will be interesting to see who else MG brings into the squad. For me I would like to see a dominant central midfielder who can dictate the pace and style of play..A bit like Paul Mckenna at Bamber..

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 8:41 am

I like Griffiths. But I like Ibby Hassan more.

Him, Dale plus McTiernan. That'll do.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat May 16, 2015 9:06 am

Robbie dale is thirty and not interested in a move from Blyth.

Over the moon about Youhill. Also my source was completely wrong about hatch but it did come from
Hatch himself honest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 9:11 am

TDS wrote:Robbie dale is thirty and not interested in a move from Blyth.

Over the moon about Youhill. Also my source was completely wrong about hatch but it did come from
Hatch himself honest! Image

Armstrong is 32 next month. Youhill himself is 29 in September.
Not sure that's a useful point.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat May 16, 2015 9:25 am

I think if we have Dowson, Hatch, Armstrong, Purewal, Cartman and if needs be Thompson or Pennal all sorted for next season that can play up front..Why do we need another forward on the pay list.
Dale is a very good player but I think our strengthening needs to be in other departments

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 16, 2015 9:33 am

Ingleby wrote:I like Griffiths. But I like Ibby Hassan more.

Him, Dale plus McTiernan. That'll do.
So in your hypothetical scenario, when all fully fit, who out of Armstrong, Purewal, Cartman, Dowson, Dale, Thompson and Hatch would you start?

And who would you get rid of to make space in the budget for Dale?

As good a player as Dale is, getting another striker wouldn't be a priority in my opinion. We've got plenty of quality there already.

Nor do I think Dale would actually leave Blyth anyway.

Right now, I'd say we need another CM and another defender (and maybe a keeper if Bell leaves).
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat May 16, 2015 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 9:34 am

Dale also operates on the left. Armstrong and Purewal aren't back for August, possibly.
Gray will add quality whenever it becomes available whatever position that is.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 9:37 am

So far it's more out than in? So I'm not worried about the budget at the minute. Also I'd imagine our budget will also be increased this year.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat May 16, 2015 9:47 am

The budget is for the entire team. It's no good having 7 forwards in the squad and only 9 outfield players to cover all other positions.
It would be interesting to see your team including subs from your squad.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 9:55 am

If Mitchell goes, and I'm assuming Mota has gone. Thats two wide players out and one in. Dale can play on the wing.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat May 16, 2015 9:56 am

Gary Brown, who has been rewarded for a good season with a new deal, will be one of the first names on the teamsheet as captain and right back next season. White and Hunter will again be the central defensive partnership and overall Browny did a sound job in the right back role as he grew into it. Plus, that long throw is a great attacking weapon and led to some crucial goals. He'll be stepping up to the plate in that role again next season, I've no doubt.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 16, 2015 10:02 am

Ingleby wrote:So far it's more out than in?
So far it's Youhill in and Weldon out (I believe his move to America was confirmed a few months back, although I'm happy to be corrected). No one else confirmed to have left at this point.
Ingleby wrote:Dale also operates on the left. Armstrong and Purewal aren't back for August, possibly.
But my original question was when everyone is fully fit, who would you start and leave out?
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat May 16, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 10:14 am

I'd start Dale over Thompson on the left wing and rotate the two. Thompson could also be rotated on the right or behind the strikers as and when.

As for McTiernan. My first thought is he'd play alongside Portas, instead of Scott. But it's the strength in depth that's important. Can't do it with 15 players every year. More games now as well.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat May 16, 2015 11:30 am

Talking shite throughout this thread isn't useful either, but you are persisting.

My point was more why would you pay a fortune to get him from Blyth when he's knocking on. There's better out there.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 11:35 am

TDS wrote:Talking shite throughout this thread isn't useful either, but you are persisting.

My point was more why would you pay a fortune to get him from Blyth when he's knocking on. There's better out there.

Shite cos your point was moot. He's hardly knocking on.

Is he contracted like? From previous years it looks like he only signs 1 year deals.

Seems decent to me and proven at this level.

In your opinion who is better?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:18 pm

I think if we're going to sign a CM they have to be a bit more of a forward thinking player, Scott and Portas in CM is very solid and im happy with it, but it's not the most creative pairing. we need someone who will get the ball and drive forwards with it like a Wadecar at Bamber Bridge,I don't think we really have one of these in the squad, Galbraith seems like he can do this job (get the ball, move it forwards then drive on into the box) but he hasn't been the most consistent at CM.

In my view Portas is more of a Michael Carrick/ Xabi Alonso style midfielder. His value comes in the way he reads the game to get himself in the right place to win the ball back and break up play, he rarely puts a pass wrong but isn't the most penetrative player with driving runs into the box or directly looking for through balls, he is always comfortable on the ball and makes himself available to pop the ball off to. He always dictates our tempo.

What i think we need along side him is a player more in the style of Arron Ramsey, someone who gets on the ball and wants to take the ball forward 10 yards then move it on before getting into the box themselves. Think we lack a real CM who can do this.

Think Brown improved tremendously at RB as the season went on, especially with that long throw, its a real weapon. as others have said i fully expect him to start there next season although i agree completely Griffiths at Spenny is a very good player.

Wouldn't be interested in Dale really. Definitely good at this level, but we have similar to him up front and he's never been blessed with pace and id much prefer to have pace down either flank.

divas

Post by divas » Sat May 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Mitchell can play that role - I thought he started the season excellently in the middle albeit in a 3 rather than a 2.

Trouble is, if you're only playing 2 central midfielders they need to be fairly disciplined which Scott and Portas gives us - it's not as if we were shy on goals last season.

If you're playing with 3 then Thommo surely comes into the reckoning for that role.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat May 16, 2015 12:50 pm

Ingleby wrote:I'd start Dale over Thompson on the left wing and rotate the two. Thompson could also be rotated on the right or behind the strikers as and when.

As for McTiernan. My first thought is he'd play alongside Portas, instead of Scott. But it's the strength in depth that's important. Can't do it with 15 players every year. More games now as well.
Do you think that the Evostik player of the year (DALE) will want to come to us and play out of his normal position and also do it in rotation.
Give your head a shake man.
You still have 7 forwards and only 9 other outfield players + 2 goalkeepers..That is 18 players in your squad (Don't know where you get the "15 players every year" bit from)
Still waiting for your line up including subs

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 1:23 pm

My opinion wrote:
Ingleby wrote:I'd start Dale over Thompson on the left wing and rotate the two. Thompson could also be rotated on the right or behind the strikers as and when.

Do you think that the Evostik player of the year (DALE) will want to come to us and play out of his normal position and also do it in rotation.
You still have 7 forwards and only 9 other outfield players + 2 goalkeepers..That is 18 players in your squad (Don't know where you get the "15 players every year" bit from)
Out of position as an attacking left winger? I think not.
He's not an out and out striker. Blyth don't even list him as such. He's a No11.

7 forwards? Armstrong injured for how long?
Purewal- injured not due back yet.
Cartman. Dowson. Hatch.

That's 5, 2 injured.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Sat May 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Ingleby wrote:
My opinion wrote:

He's not an out and out striker. Blyth don't even list him as such. He's a No11.

Cartman. Dowson. Hatch.

That's 5, 2 injured.
And your 17 man squad is ? (give positions please)

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 16, 2015 1:35 pm

My opinion wrote:
Ingleby wrote:
My opinion wrote:

Cartman. Dowson. Hatch.

That's 5, 2 injured.
And your 17 man squad is ? (give positions please)
Replace Bell, Mota and Mitchell if he leaves. You could say Youhill already has filled Mitchell's position. We will see what happens.
Weldon has gone but he was a unused sub kept to make up the numbers.
Plus need a couple of others for greater depth.

Where did you get 17 from? 17 is quite a small squad.