Guesswork Transfers Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guesswork Transfers Thread

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:16 pm

I think Miller still may have a house at Ingleby Barwick, so not a bad shout really.

Sam Russell is also moving back into the area.

Obviously quite unlikely of these signing for us, as both could still get a Conference club.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 pm

I wonder whether Gateshead/Halifax might have a sniff of these 2. I wasn't seriously expecting us to have a look but I don't think anyone really expected us to get Hatch, you never know.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Thu May 07, 2015 8:32 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:I think Miller still may have a house at Ingleby Barwick, so not a bad shout really.

Obviously quite unlikely of these signing for us, as both could still get a Conference club.
Russell and Miller are obvious signings for Gateshead.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

divas

Post by divas » Thu May 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Quakerz wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:I think Miller still may have a house at Ingleby Barwick, so not a bad shout really.

Russell and Miller are obvious signings for Gateshead.
Probably too soon for us to sign lads like this. I wouldn't bet against Russell, Miller & Chandler ending up back here in the next 2-3 seasons though

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:04 pm

John McReady transfer listed at Spennymoor.

Now before I get the "there's no point signing players being turfed out by Spennymoor", I genuinely think that he has got talent and that he's lost his way a little throughout the past year or so.

I think that we could do a lot worse.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Fri May 08, 2015 10:12 pm

I hoped we'd sign McReady last year, no idea if we were in for him or not.

I'd love to see us sign him now, he has all the ability to play much higher but a string of injuries have held him back imo.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 08, 2015 10:20 pm

I suspect if McReady wasn't ex-Darlo, his name wouldn't have even been brought up on this thread.

Signing him would be a step backwards. I don't think he's worth paying a transfer fee for, nor do I think he'd improve the current team.

Yes we can do a lot worse, but if Gray et al show a bit of imagination, we can do much better as well.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri May 08, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 08, 2015 10:24 pm

I was up for signing McReady too but I think that ship has sailed. Hardly pulled up any trees at Spenny and more importantly I don't think he's Gray's type of player. Both Robinson and Hopson were both quickly moved on and neither seem too dissimilar. They're both performing at a higher level and Gray still wasn't interested.

McReady had 5-10 great games for us in that awful season but he seems to have gone backwards from what I can gather - hardly played at York, Halifax & Spennymoor despite dropping down the leagues.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 pm

McReady played 50+ games for us and looked every bit of a Conference standard player, IMO.

Since leaving us he has struggled with injuries and has never really been given a fair crack of the whip at Spennymoor. When he has played it has been predominantly out on the right wing, which is unfair on a player who isn't really a good crosser and doesn't have a great deal of pace.

Divas, re Robinson & Hopson, I think he is physically better than Hopson and fitter than Robinson, who always seemed to be dragged off after 60 minutes or brought on for the last 20.

divas

Post by divas » Fri May 08, 2015 10:46 pm

There's a reason he can't even get a game in his preferred position at Spenny.

I don't expect we'll see him back here.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 09, 2015 7:35 am

Darlofan97 wrote:McReady played 50+ games for us and looked every bit of a Conference standard player, IMO.
That was three or four years ago. He's done nothing of note since then.

If he can't get in the team for Spennymoor at Step 4, what is there to suggest he could force his way into a stronger side at Step 3? Nothing.

There's better out there.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 09, 2015 9:27 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:McReady played 50+ games for us and looked every bit of a Conference standard player, IMO.
If he can't get in the team for Spennymoor at Step 4, what is there to suggest he could force his way into a stronger side at Step 3? Nothing.
On the basis the he looked every bit of a Conference player for us, got a move to FL club York, and then played a number of games for Halifax in the Conference. He also had a very successful loan at Whitby in the NPL.

Look at Harrison and Emms, deemed not good enough by Spennymoor but then played a massive part in us smashing the NL. Leon Scott, who wasn't getting a game at Shildon and ended up at Norton, is now set for us 4th season with us.

Then there is Arjun Purewal, who couldn't force past Brown-Tait partnership, but then got a move to Whitby and then played a full season at Blyth. Hopson who couldn't get into the side with us, but then made the step-up with Whitby and finished their 3rd top scorer. Jefferies at Blyth who couldn't get in at Spennymoor and Hooks, who ran the show against us for Blyth, also couldn't get in at Spenny.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sat May 09, 2015 9:40 am

McReady not even nearly good enough. Got better now and we need to improve not go backwards.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sat May 09, 2015 10:36 am

lets leave these players firmly in the past, regardless of ability, move on with new players
you dont go back
white and hatch are the limit for me

divas

Post by divas » Sat May 09, 2015 10:40 am

Nothing wrong with ex players coming back, if they are good enough.

For example, although out of our league currently i'd have Sam Russell and Jamie Chandler back like a shot if we can get to a level where it would be feasible.

The North-East talent pool for players at conference levels isn't massive, why would we disadvantage ourselves even further by ignoring players who are proven just because they've played for us before? If anything it would give us an edge to sign players who might not play at a certain level for any other club

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:48 am

D_F_C wrote:I wonder whether Gateshead/Halifax might have a sniff of these 2. I wasn't seriously expecting us to have a look but I don't think anyone really expected us to get Hatch, you never know.
Hatch approached us didn't he, so he was an unexpected bonus really.
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

divas

Post by divas » Sat May 09, 2015 10:59 am

If you leave Gateshead and want to stay in the area then quite clearly we're the next best option I'd say.

Both Russell and Miller have shown they're not bothered moving hundreds of miles to continue their career so, being relatively young still, if expect them both to pick up full-time contracts somewhere further south

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 09, 2015 11:59 am

MikeinBlack2 wrote:
D_F_C wrote:I wonder whether Gateshead/Halifax might have a sniff of these 2. I wasn't seriously expecting us to have a look but I don't think anyone really expected us to get Hatch, you never know.
Hatch approached us didn't he, so he was an unexpected bonus really.
Yes I think he did but I don't think any darlo fans were expecting it

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Gray had been chasing McReady for months and thought he had him in the bag last summer until Spenny offered more. Would Gray go back after someone who turned him down? Suppose it depends how keen he was to sign him in the first place. If he still rates him as a player then it wouldn't surprise me to see him try and sign him again.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 09, 2015 12:14 pm

First and foremost, I want to wish Graeme all the best in his recovery and I hope that the operation is a success. I hope it doesn't effect his profession that much, thankfully he is a teacher so he should be OK.

It looks like we will be starting next season with just two fit forwards (Dowson/Cartman), so on that basis I think Gray will be looking at either keeping Hatch or bringing in another forward. Connerton has been mentioned previously, or what about Farquharson at Harrogate RA?

Unfortunately, it looks like Hatch is on his way out. I think I saw something which said that he, Mota, Bell and Weldon were not at the awards event last night.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
On the basis the he looked every bit of a Conference player for us, got a move to FL club York, and then played a number of games for Halifax in the Conference. He also had a very successful loan at Whitby in the NPL.

Look at Harrison and Emms, deemed not good enough by Spennymoor but then played a massive part in us smashing the NL. Leon Scott, who wasn't getting a game at Shildon and ended up at Norton, is now set for us 4th season with us.
But what about McReady? What has he done in the last 12 months to suggest he's worth signing. Nothing.

The fact he had a handful of decent games in a crap Darlo side 4 years ago isn't good enough.

He barely played for Halifax or York, which you've conveniently ignored. 18 games in 2 seasons for them combined. So he wasn't that good.

And from what I was told by a Whitby supporting friend, McReady "was nothing special" and "decidedly average" in his loan. And that was in 2010/11.

So why are you saying he had a successful loan? Did you see him play there?

He's done nothing in the last couple of years. He would add nothing to us. If we paid a fee to sign him, it would be money wasted.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat May 09, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

divas

Post by divas » Sat May 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Anyway, it's the 9th May, and we've not signed anyone yet, where's the seasonal Darlo Pete post?

We'd already signed Armstring at this point last season.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sat May 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:First and foremost, I want to wish Graeme all the best in his recovery and I hope that the operation is a success. I hope it doesn't effect his profession that much, thankfully he is a teacher so he should be OK.

It looks like we will be starting next season with just two fit forwards (Dowson/Cartman), so on that basis I think Gray will be looking at either keeping Hatch or bringing in another forward. Connerton has been mentioned previously, or what about Farquharson at Harrogate RA?

Unfortunately, it looks like Hatch is on his way out. I think I saw something which said that he, Mota, Bell and Weldon were not at the awards event last night.
Farquharson was very average at Harrogate RA. Plus he's left them this summer as he's off to University in London. We would need better. I think Armstrong will be ok for the start of the season
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:But what about McReady? What has he done in the last 12 months to suggest he's worth signing. Nothing.
Unfair to judge a player over their last 12 months.
The fact he had a handful of decent games in a crap Darlo side 4 years ago isn't good enough.
Exactly, a crap Darlo side. He managed to play well in a crap Darlo side. It was more than a "handful" of decent games too.
He barely played for Halifax or York, which you're conveniently ignored. 18 games in 2 seasons for them combined. So he wasn't that good.
Point taken regarding not playing many games for York, but he did dislocate his shoulder early on in the season which ruled him out for months. The man who brought him to the club was sacked about one and a half months after he came back from that.

You also seem to be ignoring the fact that I've pointed out quite a few players who couldn't get a game at their club for whatever reason, but have gone on to play higher.
And from what I was told by a Whitby supporting friend, McReady "was nothing special" and "decidedly average" in his loan. And that was in 2010/11.
Whitby tried their best to keep him.
So why are you saying he had a successful loan? Did you see him play there?
No, but on the basis that they wanted to keep him and I've heard some Whitby fans say good things about him, I'd say it was successful.
He's done nothing in the last couple of years. He would add nothing to us. If we paid a fee to sign him, it would be money wasted.
Spennymoor fans are saying they think he will end up playing higher, I think that they are right.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Darlofan97 wrote: Unfair to judge a player over their last 12 months.
It's not, as that's a more accurate reflection of where he's at. But ok then, he's done nothing in the last three seasons.

Exactly, a crap Darlo side. He managed to play well in a crap Darlo side. It was more than a "handful" of decent games too.
No, you're missing the point. He looked better because he was playing alongside crap players. He did all right, but you make it sound like he was a world beater.
Point taken regarding not playing many games for York, but he did dislocate his shoulder early on in the season which ruled him out for months. The man who brought him to the club was sacked about one and a half months after he came back from that.
You're making excuses. He played 18 games in two seasons. He lasted only one season at each club. He clearly wasn't rated enough to keep him on. And now Spennymoor want rid of him.
You also seem to be ignoring the fact that I've pointed out quite a few players who couldn't get a game at their club for whatever reason, but have gone on to play higher.
Irrelevant. We're talking about McReady. Are you saying because other players have done it, that means McReady will? If so, that's bonkers. Each player is individual.
No, but on the basis that they wanted to keep him and I've heard some Whitby fans say good things about him, I'd say it was successful.

So you didn't actually see him, but you're saying the loan spell was a success anyway. All right then. Who were these Whitby fans? I think you're making them up. I can name the Whitby fan I spoke too. I bet you can't. And where's your evidence Whitby wanted to keep him?

Anyway, it was 4/5 years ago; McReady's circumstances have changed since then. It's fair to say his career has stalled somewhat.

I think you're looking through rose-tinted ex-Darlo player spectacles. He's done nothing in three seasons and would not add anything to the side. As I've said, we can do better.

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sat May 09, 2015 7:23 pm

lets all just move on, bet we dont want him anyway

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Sat May 09, 2015 7:29 pm

loan_star wrote:Gray had been chasing McReady for months and thought he had him in the bag last summer until Spenny offered more. Would Gray go back after someone who turned him down? Suppose it depends how keen he was to sign him in the first place. If he still rates him as a player then it wouldn't surprise me to see him try and sign him again.
Didn't know that. This season had been a write off for him mainly due to injury but I maintain a fully fit McReady would be fantastic at this level.

A real shame and mistake he picked Spenny over us - I hope MG goes back in for him now.

TDS

Post by TDS » Sat May 09, 2015 7:55 pm

I've never seen what's the big deal about mcready. Not any better than the other midfielders around us at the level. People talk him up as he's ex darlo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat May 09, 2015 8:01 pm

Any players we bring in, need to be better than what we had last season. Bringing back ex players who are already playing at our new level is not the way forward. I have confidence that Gray already has his targets in his sights and it's worth waiting to get the right players.

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun May 10, 2015 12:14 am

I'll eat my hat if Gray has any interest in him, he hasn't had a good game for years.