The last time...

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Makka Pakka
Team Supported: Darlington

The last time...

Post by Makka Pakka » Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 am

we went into a play-off final...

Friday 26th May 2000. Lashing it down all day, Wembley pitch similar to that abandoned game at Kendal this season. But we turned up and put in a really good performance for 70 minutes before tiring and losing 1-0. Was the occasion that gave what the entire footballing world still refers to as "that Craig Liddle tackle".
Lot of people stayed for the England-Brazil friendly the next day that we had been elbowed out in favour of.

Team: Collett, Liddle, Heckingbottom (Holsgrove), Gray, Tutil, Aspin, Heaney, Oliver, Duffield (Nogan), Gabbiadini, Atkinson (Naylor).

Attendance 33,383

For our younger readers, yes it is THAT Gray and THAT Atkinson.
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

Darl-Zero

Re: The last time...

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat May 02, 2015 10:23 am

I'm not superstitious but footballers are. This is our third playoff final and we've lost the other two ... So third time lucky!

undisputed_kingpin

The last time...

Post by undisputed_kingpin » Sat May 02, 2015 10:23 am

What a day out that was... I was taken out of school sick! And then appeared on TV whilst waiting for the bus hahaha

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Sat May 02, 2015 10:44 am

The last time we went into a final of any sort was 4 years ago this weekend..."it's hit the top of the bar....SENIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Sat May 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:we went into a play-off final...

Friday 26th May 2000. Lashing it down all day, Wembley pitch similar to that abandoned game at Kendal this season. But we turned up and put in a really good performance for 70 minutes before tiring and losing 1-0. Was the occasion that gave what the entire footballing world still refers to as "that Craig Liddle tackle".
Lot of people stayed for the England-Brazil friendly the next day that we had been elbowed out in favour of.

Team: Collett, Liddle, Heckingbottom (Holsgrove), Gray, Tutil, Aspin, Heaney, Oliver, Duffield (Nogan), Gabbiadini, Atkinson (Naylor).

Attendance 33,383

Looking back,how the hell did we get beat with that team :shock:

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat May 02, 2015 2:53 pm

The pitch was so wet and we were moved to the Friday as I think England played Brazil the next day? As usual the little clubs suffer. I remember driving home in perfect weather. the other two Wembley trips were on sunny Saturday's...

Bizza
Team Supported: Darlo, Newcastle United

Post by Bizza » Sat May 02, 2015 4:30 pm

My one and only trip to the old Wembley that game, the weather matched the result :(

The next trip down for the Trophy final made up for it :D
l
"The Darlo fans away to our left go ballistic!"

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat May 02, 2015 7:46 pm

jimmyht wrote:
Makka Pakka wrote:we went into a play-off final...

Attendance 33,383

Looking back,how the hell did we get beat with that team :shock:
I remember both playoff finals.

Plymouth deserved to beat us that day in 1995, but Peterborough did not in 2000 and it didn't help that that was the year where we blew a massive lead ahead of Northampton

bertbanger

Post by bertbanger » Sun May 03, 2015 8:37 am

i was at the peterboro match and the whole day was a pain in the ass, we bossed them and they had one shot and won, proper devvod, if weed won that we could have gone from strengh to strength as i reckon safe cracker wouldnt have lost interest, but hey ho.
i remember being in a pub at the top of wembley way having a good banter exchange with darlo and pboro fans, then some tool from pboro came in and totally misjudged the mood by throwing a chair at a Darlo fan and it all kicked off and suddenly we were all removed out into the pouring rain and the pub shut
typical