Reserve team for next season.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Reserve team for next season.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Good to hear that we'll have a reserve team next season. It will give our fringe players and young lads to play competitive games. I heard at the game today, that we have applied to join the Wearside League and our home games will be played at Eastbourne. A great move for the club in my opinion. Well done to all. :clap:

Neil Johnson

Re: Reserve team for next season.

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:07 am

Being in the Wearside League will be a toughening exercise for the younger players and offers an opportunity for older players to improve match readiness in a competitive situation.

Darlo reserves used to dominate this league in the late 60's and early 70's, but the standard is probably a bit higher now.

Our first team will benefit by having more match ready players to choose from.

Having a reserve team is an attraction to recruit local kids and also provides a proving ground for trialists.

With regular attendances at reserves there will be increased awareness and support for the youth development teams and their games.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:41 pm

There is a space given Easington's promotion from that league this season. With Celtic Nation going bust there's no relegation from the NL. That doesn't mean to say we should automatically be given the place. Would be interesting the reaction given that league already has Spennymoor Reserves in there
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:09 pm

more likely to get into this new development league the Wearside are starting? To get in we'd have to be voted in so any vacancy would be chosen by the existing members. Reserve teams arent particularly popular - Spenny only got in by way of a name change for an existing member, and that created quite a bit of conflict between certain clubs who thought they got in through the back door

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:29 pm

jimmyht wrote:more likely to get into this new development league the Wearside are starting? To get in we'd have to be voted in so any vacancy would be chosen by the existing members. Reserve teams arent particularly popular - Spenny only got in by way of a name change for an existing member, and that created quite a bit of conflict between certain clubs who thought they got in through the back door
Yeah, plus the Wearside League is a bit of a funny league anyway. A lot of self-interests involved.

I know a couple of years back, Murton applied to go in, were rejected and then two or three sides resigned from the division, meaning Murton could have had one of those spots, but obviously couldn't.

And it's not fully clear, but I don't think the organisers want it to be a Wearside League Division 2. I think it's meant to be more of a reserve teams league, although I could be wrong.

But I'd agree this is more likely than the Wearside League outright.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 am

The youth team used to suffer a lot of rough stuff and injuries playing in the Durham Senior Cup runs, so some senior players should also be included in the proposed reserves to do the ball winning and other more physical work.

11 men v 11 boys should be avoided.

The kids should be toughened up without being kicked & elbowed about game after game.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:22 am

jimmyht wrote:Spenny only got in by way of a name change for an existing member, and that created quite a bit of conflict between certain clubs who thought they got in through the back door
Not for the first time!! :lol:

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:11 pm

A good move by the club - agree with others that it will only help some of our younger players 'toughen' up a bit.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Sounds a good move putting these building blocks (Youth team, Reserves) in place. Just wondered with the finances of the move back to Darlo, which has to take priority, how this is being funded. Guess these will be non-contract, trialists mainly etc. but kind of hope this doesn't impact too much on MG's Budget for the 1st team. Does anyone know about funding this?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Sounds a good move putting these building blocks (Youth team, Reserves) in place. Just wondered with the finances of the move back to Darlo, which has to take priority, how this is being funded. Guess these will be non-contract, trialists mainly etc. but kind of hope this doesn't impact too much on MG's Budget for the 1st team. Does anyone know about funding this?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:03 pm

bga wrote:Sounds a good move putting these building blocks (Youth team, Reserves) in place. Just wondered with the finances of the move back to Darlo, which has to take priority, how this is being funded. Guess these will be non-contract, trialists mainly etc. but kind of hope this doesn't impact too much on MG's Budget for the 1st team. Does anyone know about funding this?
Funding a reserve team in the Wearside or Wearside development league won't cost massive amounts. Bit of sponsorship and the costs would be covered. Most the players will be young lads and lads who need a bit extra game time so should be little if any costs for players.

I was hoping we would get some sort of agreement/deal with the RA where the reserves could play at the RA and share some of the costs. Hoping a deal would benefit both clubs if we could have managed it.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 pm

Super Les
I agree working something out with RA may make sense, as long as there is not too much "rivalry" there if you get my drift? In this day and age clubs should work together for mutual benefit.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:35 pm

I`m all for that I only live up the road from RA ground

micra3

Post by micra3 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Reserve matches to be played at Eastbourne-(I think)
M I C R A 3

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:48 am

micra3 wrote:Reserve matches to be played at Eastbourne-(I think)
Yes I believe that this is correct. I'd imagine that if we have an away game, quite a few fans might go along to watch the reserves, especially after we were so richly entertained last Saturday.