GET in free days

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

GET in free days

Post by princes town » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Seems like a lot of grassroots clubs are doing get in free days. Interesting innovation.

Ingleby
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: GET in free days

Post by Ingleby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Most of the clubs doing it have no fans, so nothing to lose.

We couldn't do it, not league games at least. Or if we did we could just extend it to under 16s or under 12s or whatever. But this is standard practice anyway at other clubs in these divisions.
Last edited by Ingleby on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

ArmchairDiehard

Post by ArmchairDiehard » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Ingleby wrote:Most of the clubs doing it have no fans, so nothing to lose.

We couldn't do it, not league games at least. Or if we did we could just extend it to under 16s or under 12s or whatever.
Spot on - it's not so bad for teams that normally attract about 50 people. We're not really in a position where giving away tickets for free would help us in anyway.
Quakerz wrote:
stayhigh13 wrote:I would hazard a guess as someone with a long throw who is also tall.
What about Steve Backley?

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:21 pm

When back in the town we need to engage the next generation in a big way. Free entry to under 16s for 5 set games a season would be a start, with or without adults. Or £1 entry for kids. Take the small financial hit now to benefit in 5-10 years time.

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:49 pm

I'd certainly support reduced prices for youngsters, even if that meant paying a little more myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darlodog

Post by darlodog » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:25 pm

dickdarlington wrote:When back in the town we need to engage the next generation in a big way. Free entry to under 16s for 5 set games a season would be a start, with or without adults. Or £1 entry for kids. Take the small financial hit now to benefit in 5-10 years time.
Really well put, getting the youngsters in now is key to the future of the club. £1 for next season for under 16s in my view would be a great idea.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:09 pm

We couldn't do it, not league games at least. Or if we did we could just extend it to under 16s or under 12s or whatever. But this is standard practice anyway at other clubs in these divisions.
Bury did it last night in League 2 and apparently got 9000. Apparently their biggest crowd for 18 years (according to 5 Live).

There is no reason Darlington could not do it.

There are many good reasons why they should not do it.

Personally, I would not want any team I was connected with to do it for a league or cup game. Friendlies seem to me to be the best suited to the free admission / other offers.

Giving free admission to league games reduces the financial value of having a season ticket

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:15 pm

dickdarlington wrote:When back in the town we need to engage the next generation in a big way. Free entry to under 16s for 5 set games a season would be a start, with or without adults. Or £1 entry for kids. Take the small financial hit now to benefit in 5-10 years time.

The only problem with free admission for unaccompanied kids can be the behaviour of unsupervised groups of kids. This is a problem that can be overcome though.

As is implied kids are the future of any club. Get the kids going to games now and they may realise football is not just a TV programme and some of them will stick with their local clubs.

One sad feature of non league football throughout the country at many clubs is the increasing age of the crowds. There is a lack of young kids and a lack of 18-25 age group as well

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 pm

I wouldn't want to have total free entry under any circumstances.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:10 pm

darlodog wrote:
Really well put, getting the youngsters in now is key to the future of the club. £1 for next season for under 16s in my view would be a great idea.
I agree.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:14 pm

spen666 wrote:

Bury did it last night in League 2 and apparently got 9000. Apparently their biggest crowd for 18 years (according to 5 Live).
The attendance was 8,396 and they lost 1 nil!
FORZA DARLO

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Ingleby wrote:
darlodog wrote:
I agree.
Seconded.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:32 pm

Quakers1883 wrote: The attendance was 8,396 and they lost 1 nil!
Well yes, of course we'd lose!

I actually think at this level we are the last club that needs to start offering free entry. Also, given that we've already cashed in a lot of our future income by selling 5 year season tickets, we need as much pay on the day support as we can get. I'm just happy that we are solvent with a decent fan base, we really don't need to be taking risks.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:55 pm

Yarblockos wrote:we've already cashed in a lot of our future income by selling 5 year season tickets
Who knows, only time will tell if we have really done that. It would be interesting to know how many 5 year STs were bought by exiles.

We sold less than half of our normal STs. If our attendances go up by the same amount (about 250/300 right?) would you really call it cashing in on future income - or speculating, investing and accumulating?

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:25 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Yarblockos wrote:we've already cashed in a lot of our future income by selling 5 year season tickets
Who knows, only time will tell if we have really done that. It would be interesting to know how many 5 year STs were bought by exiles.

We sold less than half of our normal STs. If our attendances go up by the same amount (about 250/300 right?) would you really call it cashing in on future income - or speculating, investing and accumulating?
Yes, it is an investment I agree, but it is still cashing in future income. It means we don't get anything over the next 4 years from those fans. We need pay on the day fans (rather than freebies) to make up for that. It should be a good investment though, providing we don't get stuck in the Evostick North.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:33 am

Yarblockos wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Yes, it is an investment I agree, but it is still cashing in future income. It means we don't get anything over the next 4 years from those fans. We need pay on the day fans (rather than freebies) to make up for that. It should be a good investment though, providing we don't get stuck in the Evostick North.
I'd be interested to know how much we save by not having to pay Bishop though, as that would offset the reduced yearly income too.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:47 am

lo36789 wrote:
At least one. :roll:

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:06 am

Yarblockos wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

But if by moving back to town we convert a couple of hundred current pay on the day fans to season ticket holders next season, and the season after etc then we still have a decent yearly income. If we add a couple of hundred new pay on the dayers from moving back to town, we then cover that loss.

The key is that we need to do all we can to increase attendance on top of the base of fans that have committed for 5 years, negating the lost cash flow that way.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 am

Durham Senior Cup games and the like could be free to all, with special incentives for kids.

Pricing out unaccompanied kids from games, especially in their home town seems ludicrous.

There has been a large proportion of grey-haired fans (like me) at the Bishop based games and this needs to be re-dressed by attracting in a lot of kids and teenagers.

When I first caught the Darlo bug I was an unaccompanied kid, but then we didn't have so many counter attractions available at home and definitely not in town.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:17 am

Also no live football matches on sat afternoons in pub or tv

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:06 am

darlo reborn wrote:Also no live football matches on sat afternoons in pub or tv

There were no Saturday afternoons in pubs at all!

They used to close at 3:00pm, and then open at 5:30pm.

Just the right amount of time to fit a match in.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:49 am

Fibonacci0112358 wrote:
darlo reborn wrote:Also no live football matches on sat afternoons in pub or tv

There were no Saturday afternoons in pubs at all!

They used to close at 3:00pm, and then open at 5:30pm.

Just the right amount of time to fit a match in.
I'd forgotten that until you mentioned it.

The Northern League clubs often used to kick off at 3:15 so people would come to game after getting kicked out of the pub!

The thinking being if it was a 3pm ko people leaving pub at 3:05 or 3:10 would go home as they had missed start of game.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:02 pm

How many unaccompanied kids are going into pubs these days? David Cameron's aside...

And JoeJacques...atleast 2 exiles with no intention to use their 5 year ticket. I put on my form that it can be donated elsewhere on the odd occasion I am back I will pay on the gate.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 am

lo36789 wrote:How many unaccompanied kids are going into pubs these days? David Cameron's aside...

And JoeJacques...atleast 2 exiles with no intention to use their 5 year ticket. I put on my form that it can be donated elsewhere on the odd occasion I am back I will pay on the gate.
Did you get any response from the club? I have suggested something similar in the past, but appears to have gone un-noticed. :roll: