Darlo v Warrington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Warrington Match Thread

Post by divas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Ah the good old right back argument.

Remind me which team has the best defensive record this season, that would be even better had it not been for the usual back 4 with Brown at RB having to be shuffled around because of injuries and suspensions?

I'd sign someone as cover but expect Brown to retain his place. Would be nice to have the level of cover and diversity we have at LB

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:58 pm

A couple of points from last night. Gary Brown was absolutely superb, he seemed to be everywhere, stopping shots on the line, hurling dangerous throw-ins into the box, winning all the headers, urging the players forward and even getting the goal. Also Tom Portas, particularly in the second half, was excellent with some great driving runs through the midfield.

But one thing that was abundantly clear last night is that we cannot go into the play-offs with Mitchell at full-back. If Hunter is still out and Gary Brown has to play central defence then another solution has to be found for the right back slot. Either get Watson to fill in there and have Galbraith on the left or bring in Weldon. Mitchell's not a full-back and his threat in getting in dangerous crosses and scoring goals is a massive loss to the side with him in defence.

One worrying aspect going into the play-offs is the players' state of mind. They looked desolate after the final whistle last night. Ramsbottom went into our showdown last season in a massively upbeat frame of mind, just delighted to be there. Our players looked like night like they had a massive weight on their shoulders after the final whistle. I guess that's now over to MG.

We'll also have to be a helluva lot more ruthless in front of goal to get through the play-offs. The defenders and midfielders seem to have become our main goal threat recently.

Robbie Painter

Post by Robbie Painter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:21 pm

LoidLucan wrote:A couple of points from last night. Gary Brown was absolutely superb, he seemed to be everywhere, stopping shots on the line, hurling dangerous throw-ins into the box, winning all the headers, urging the players forward and even getting the goal. Also Tom Portas, particularly in the second half, was excellent with some great driving runs through the midfield.

But one thing that was abundantly clear last night is that we cannot go into the play-offs with Mitchell at full-back. If Hunter is still out and Gary Brown has to play central defence then another solution has to be found for the right back slot. Either get Watson to fill in there and have Galbraith on the left or bring in Weldon. Mitchell's not a full-back and his threat in getting in dangerous crosses and scoring goals is a massive loss to the side with him in defence.

One worrying aspect going into the play-offs is the players' state of mind. They looked desolate after the final whistle last night. Ramsbottom went into our showdown last season in a massively upbeat frame of mind, just delighted to be there. Our players looked like night like they had a massive weight on their shoulders after the final whistle. I guess that's now over to MG.

We'll also have to be a helluva lot more ruthless in front of goal to get through the play-offs. The defenders and midfielders seem to have become our main goal threat recently.
It would be a bit churlish to point out that one of Brown's goal line clearances was only needed because of a terrible ball he played out from the back.That and a couple of other moments apart, he did play well.

Don't take your point on Mitchell, he is a decent stand in RB and did ok last night. Plus Galbraith was excellent on the wing effectively in his place. Looks like Hunter should be ok anyway.

Armstrong has a nice habit of scoring against Spennymoor + I'm hoping MG will partner him with Cartman as they have combined very well in recent home games.

I've got zero worries about the players. It was natural to be down last night but they know whats needed to beat Spennymoor & they will be ready.

Also, and this is key for me, last season we went into the playoffs off the back of a month of games with no pressure, against mainly weak teams, an unsettled side & a lack of intensity in our play. This time it couldn't be more different - settled team, unbeaten in 8 games, playing well against good sides, used to playing under pressure at high intensity and bar Hunter no real injury concerns.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:23 pm

LoidLucan wrote:A couple of points from last night. Gary Brown was absolutely superb, he seemed to be everywhere, stopping shots on the line, hurling dangerous throw-ins into the box, winning all the headers, urging the players forward and even getting the goal. Also Tom Portas, particularly in the second half, was excellent with some great driving runs through the midfield.

We have missed a lot of chances in these last 2 games, simple headers seemed to have been missed and lots of shots the wrong side of the post mainly by Armstrong and Dowson according to the reports.We should have won these games to make it a formality against New Mills but that's gone now so MG like you say has to focus massively on Spenny and get as many players rested on Saturday ready to go again.We still have a great chance with potentially 2 home games and I think the winner of our game on Wednesday will go up, I fancy our chances against Northwich or Bamber Bridge particularly with our support behind us.
Hopefully back to our normal defence with Browny RB and Hunter and Watson back.Galbraith in midfield over Scott, Mitchell and Tommo out wide and would give another go with Armstrong and Cartman, possibly bringing Dowson on later on to stretch them.But agree with LL, we must start converting more of these chances, all about character now, will be very nervy on Wednesday but our terrific support should be a massive help.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Was discussing momentum after the Lancaster game. How often do you see the team that sneaks into the play-offs on the last day of the season go on to win them whilst the team that has generally just been pipped for the title falters.

In our favour this season at least there has been no team that has steamrollered into the play-offs with a great run. Spenny spluttered their way into them really with draws more than anything.

As disconsolate as the lads must be at missing out on the title they'll be even worse if they also fail in the play-offs so MG has to get them re-focussed quickly.

My concern is that we've failed to take chances in recent pressure situations.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Drop Leon Scott?? Give over, he's been outstanding since he was brought back into midfield over the last 8 games

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:28 pm

My point about Mitchell is that he can score goals and he creates goals and is too valuable in that role to be shoehorned into RB. Play him in his best position and the one in which he is most valuable to us.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:31 pm

My main worry (apart from it being sod's law means Spennymoor are bound to beat us this time) is that the players suffer a mental hangover from losing the title race. We are in great form, but Gray, and to an extent Brown, need to ensure everybody is in the right frame of mind for next Wednesday. They seem a good group of players, so they should be OK, but confidence is a funny thing. If we can really get behind the players on Saturday, despite nothing riding on the game, that will probably help.

Ramsbottom were the form team going into the playoffs last year, and we are the form team this year. 2 away draws to tough opposition is nothing to be worried about with regards to form. Of course it's disappointing, but we haven't lost in a long time. Our home record is much better than last year (lost only twice) too. I'm about as confident as you can be with regards to the playoffs - in stark contrast to last year. Let's hope the outcome is completely different too!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:43 pm

LoidLucan wrote:My point about Mitchell is that he can score goals and he creates goals and is too valuable in that role to be shoehorned into RB. Play him in his best position and the one in which he is most valuable to us.
Yup, totally agree. It's not that he's a bad right back, he's just a very good winger.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:46 pm

divas wrote:
LoidLucan wrote:My point about Mitchell is that he can score goals and he creates goals and is too valuable in that role to be shoehorned into RB. Play him in his best position and the one in which he is most valuable to us.
Yup, totally agree. It's not that he's a bad right back, he's just a very good winger.
Full agreement, creates width and space and scores valuable goals, he looks to be very hesitant to get forward at RB unlike Watson at LB

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 pm

lo36789 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:3 or 4 players could be what is needed. Rumours of Bell leaving, Mitchell targetting a pro-contract, Hatch probably leaving and Amar not due back until Sep/Oct. Then looking at other areas of improvement, you have to keep moving in football, standing still is often seen as moving backwards.
Ok.

Excluding Mitchell (never say never, but I think he might have been out of it for too long now and I think he is at college?). Do you think our first XI next season will be any different if we are in Division 1 North?

The players you have mentioned above would not make a blind bit of difference to that in my view.
Maybe 2 players but it will all depend on league we are in, budget allowed and players available.

If we go with current squad and remove say Bell (rumoured to leave), Weldon (Going to America), Hatch (Out of Contract/transfer list) & Amar (Injury until Oct). This leaves us with 14 players if you don't add in Cocks/Mitchell/Lovegreen.

White who I think can play another year but is hitting 40 next season, which means we certainly need to be thinking about a RB/CB stand in. Perhaps Lovegreen depending what he is now doing outside of education maybe developed as that RB with as others mentioned Brown playing there again next season. Even help cover suspensions as White, Brown & Hunter are all likely to miss the odd games with suspensions/injuries.

The again possibility of Mitchell maybe finding something this summer, the lad is willing to try he has had trials at Brentford, Gillingham and Gateshead.

So with that in mind I would think 3/4 players coming in would be no surprise if you count Mitchell across last summer and into the season we signed 7 players (Mitchell, Portas, Armstrong, Hatch, Watson Mota & Cartman).

Time will tell I guess and we have a playoff competition to try and win before any of the above questions/scenarios need to even be answered.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:14 pm

divas wrote:
yep, my conclusion as well. The main worry for me last night was the amount of "sweeping" Jamieson had to do with the ball over the top, particularly 1st half. better 2nd period.

AIDO

Post by AIDO » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:41 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote: ..... and get as many players rested on Saturday ready to go again.
..... :o .... Nooooooo!

MG can't make that same mistake again ..... these players must play in the game against New Mills .... that's what they want and that's what they need .... If any players need to get something off their back, then this is also the best way possible to do it. Resting players didn't work last year and certainly won't work this year ....

Ramsbottom last year were miles more up for it in the semi because they ALL played in the previous game. Our players were leggy and somewhat lethargic throughout, notwithstanding the hacking down of Scotty in the opening minutes. The home defeat against lowly Burscough also lost us what momentum we had .... :thumbdown: .... Rest players at our peril. Lets learn something from last year ffs .... :roll: