Darlo v Warrington Match Thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlo v Warrington Match Thread

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:59 pm

I would second what berty"b" says here ----
bertbanger wrote:He's not been the same since his the Oldham scouts decided against him
Still an asset to the team though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:03 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Spyman wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
jonn wrote:Thommo off, Cartman on
No idea what has happened to Thommo this season, never looks like scoring, rarely beats his man and does not deliver the telling balls he always did last season, has he lost some pace, not sure, but Gray needs to get more out of him.Big worry.
I don't see how it is a big worry. He's not been as good as last season, yet we've made a stronger assualt on the title than we did last season - he's still an important player but we are not relient on him performing - he is now just one of a number of players that can win a game for us probably alongside Portas, Armstrong, Purewal, Mitchell and Cartman - not to mention the outstanding contribution from White, Hunter, Brown and Watson.

If we continue to not rely on one star man next season, at whatever level we end up at, I'll be perfectly happy.
Nowhere near the player he was last season, that is my point, yes he is still a good player but his form has dipped without doubt IMO.
And my point is it's not a 'big worry'. No players sustains the same level for ever and it is not worrying simply for the fact we now have several other players capable of having a similar impact, whereas last season we were very reliant on one player.

I'm not denying he is not as good as he was.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:06 pm

Anyway, we go into the playoffs on good form, potentially unbeaten in 9 and with a good record against all our potential opponents.
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Whats with the doom and gloom from some of you so called fans, for gods sake we are in the playoffs and battling against teams who are determined to stop us at all costs and referees who are just not giving us a thing at the moment. Beat Warrington and we are back in the ball game, fail to win and its a welcome back for Spenny.......not really the end of the world is it .Must avoid a red card tonight though, that is a worry with Reids lot to be honest, really must keep our cool.
I fancy our chances in the play-offs, but for me to get a ticket for Saturday, means I have a 4 mile walk after work tomorrow evening and I don't really fancy doing that for a game that may have no meaning. I'm no Andy Park. :D Of course win tonight and I'll get my ticket tomorrow.
Tomorrow on my only day off this week I'm working the shop twice and in between I'm taking care of my sick mum. I haven't said that for sympathy I'm happy to do it so folk have a chance on an evening after work to get the tickets, and I don't drive either! So do that four mile walk, buy yer ticket and get behind the team

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:30 am

What a bunch miserable fuckers we have on here.

We're unbeaten in 9, players give it there all tonight. Warrington's goalie had a good game, I'm feeling positive.

The atmosphere we got going tonight was brilliant, if we can get the ground rocking on Wednesday, the players will respond.

Shut up fucking moaning and back the lads. We need the 12th man at games instead of some of the pesimistic tits who thrive on Darlo not winning every game.

Rant over. Up the Darlo!!

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:39 am

AndyPark wrote:What a bunch miserable fuckers we have on here.

We're unbeaten in 9, players give it there all tonight. Warrington's goalie had a good game, I'm feeling positive.

The atmosphere we got going tonight was brilliant, if we can get the ground rocking on Wednesday, the players will respond.

Shut up fucking moaning and back the lads. We need the 12th man at games instead of some of the pesimistic tits who thrive on Darlo not winning every game.

Rant over. Up the Darlo!!
Just got back. proud of the effort put in by the lads against a team who frankly were up for it. Their cup-final and they played well. And actually so did we. The disappointed looks on the players; faces after the game said it all. They couldn't do anymore. Decent competitive game,great support but that's football and we move onto the next game. Every fan applauded the team off and they deserved it. I'm glad we still have a team to watch and a chance of promotion.

Bogratsteve

Darlo v Warrington Match Thread

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:12 am

The lads gave it all last night, injury worries are my main concern with Hunter/Watson suffering and having Mitchell at RB is such a waste of his abilities but I understand the reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:26 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Breedon wrote:Right, that's it, I'm off down the river to throttle a swan.
Is that not Bogratsteve's job ?
Queens bird so even I have my morals & limits lol

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:45 am

Bogratsteve wrote:The lads gave it all last night, injury worries are my main concern with Hunter/Watson suffering and having Mitchell at RB is such a waste of his abilities but I understand the reasons

As an aside, what happened to that right-back, Cartwright, brought in a couple of months ago. Unless I missed something he seemed to vanish into thin air.

DC

Darlo Since 68

Post by Darlo Since 68 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:57 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Poor Ray Simpson he sounded really down at the end of the commentary.
Just to let you know that Ray doesn't do the commentary, it's his son Andrew.
It has been all season!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:21 am

Spyman wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:The lads gave it all last night, injury worries are my main concern with Hunter/Watson suffering and having Mitchell at RB is such a waste of his abilities but I understand the reasons

As an aside, what happened to that right-back, Cartwright, brought in a couple of months ago. Unless I missed something he seemed to vanish into thin air.
Wasn't he only on a months loan?

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:23 am

Darlo Since 68 wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:Poor Ray Simpson he sounded really down at the end of the commentary.
It has been all season!
Didn't listen last night because I was at the game but Ray has joined Andrew a few times on commentary, don't know who was the guest summariser last night

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:59 am

Great effort against a good side. Thought Brown was outstanding and really up for it but everyone put in a good shift. We hit the post, the bar and had a brilliant overhead kick well saved. Good turnout and excellent support for a Tuesday night and the ironic 30th minute applause was not lost on the lovely Mr Reid. Onwards and hopefully upwards!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:00 am

Bogratsteve wrote:
Spyman wrote:

Wasn't he only on a months loan?
Yeah it was a short term loan and he went back to Sunderland around the beginning of March.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

bga

Post by bga » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:05 am

Couldn't fault the effort last night. Is it just me but isn't it a bit worrying how many chances we create and fail to put away.............seems to be the story of our season. Also Mota was quite effective on the left when he came on I really thought he might prove the match winner, then switched to the right (under instructions?) where he offered little.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:27 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Whats with the doom and gloom from some of you so called fans, for gods sake we are in the playoffs and battling against teams who are determined to stop us at all costs and referees who are just not giving us a thing at the moment. Beat Warrington and we are back in the ball game, fail to win and its a welcome back for Spenny.......not really the end of the world is it .Must avoid a red card tonight though, that is a worry with Reids lot to be honest, really must keep our cool.
I fancy our chances in the play-offs, but for me to get a ticket for Saturday, means I have a 4 mile walk after work tomorrow evening and I don't really fancy doing that for a game that may have no meaning. I'm no Andy Park. :D Of course win tonight and I'll get my ticket tomorrow.
Of course had you been a member of the CIC, the Supporters Trust or the Supporters Club you would now have been a member of Darlington FC Supporters Group and you would have been able to take advantage of their scheme to pay by BACS and for your ticket to be ready for collection at Heritage Park on Saturday. Similarly, you could simply have sent the club a cheque. Easier still had you been a season ticket holder.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:37 am

bga wrote:Also Mota was quite effective on the left when he came on I really thought he might prove the match winner, then switched to the right (under instructions?) where he offered little.
Got to feel for Mota, little game time in the last few months and expected to turn it on when he comes on with 10 mins to go, I think he is a real talent who could be very effective for us, natural ability to create space and width and a decent crosser, needs to maybe improve on his battling skills and muscle up a bit.

Mota and Mitchell on the wings could be a really great combination if we can obtain another Portas type Midfielder, currently Scott & Galbraith do not cut it for me consistently and Thompson despite glimpses of last seasons form is just not at the races, all the flicks and turns etc do not work at the moment, this league have him sussed out.

MikeinBlack2

Post by MikeinBlack2 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:17 am

Actually, in the last two games we have played well and on another day(s) could certainly have picked up 6pts from them. If we continue to play like we are against New Mills and carry on into the Spenny game, there is no reason to doubt our ability to make it into the final, and from there promotion. We need to focus and not bottle it on the big occasion and we'll be OK. There's no point looking back at what migh have been, we are where we are and we still have two vital games coming up, New Mills to continue form and confidence (also giving Bell game time I would assume, even if he doesn't play against Spenny) and then arguably the biggest game of our recent history so far against Spenny. Promotion is still ours to have....if we want it as much as the other play-off contenders! Come on Darlo!
Come on Darlo!
Smoke me a kipper....I'll be back for breakfast!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:23 am

Bogratsteve wrote:
bga wrote:Also Mota was quite effective on the left when he came on I really thought he might prove the match winner, then switched to the right (under instructions?) where he offered little.
Got to feel for Mota, little game time in the last few months and expected to turn it on when he comes on with 10 mins to go, I think he is a real talent who could be very effective for us, natural ability to create space and width and a decent crosser, needs to maybe improve on his battling skills and muscle up a bit.

Mota and Mitchell on the wings could be a really great combination if we can obtain another Portas type Midfielder, currently Scott & Galbraith do not cut it for me consistently and Thompson despite glimpses of last seasons form is just not at the races, all the flicks and turns etc do not work at the moment, this league have him sussed out.
I think you have to improve/develop and move on your squad every season, looking at the current squad I would say we need approx 3/4 players this summer.

However not going to discuss which positions at the moment, time to back the lads for the final games of the season. As a team we have come 2nd to an excellent Curzon and 2nd to Salford who if they hadn't made the manager change and signed 8 or so players I bleieve would not be top.

We have improved season after season, heading back to Darlo and the debt has pretty much gone. All in all a lot of positives to move forward with and that's not mentioning the possibility of play off victory this season.

I am in the half full brigade today.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:I think you have to improve/develop and move on your squad every season, looking at the current squad I would say we need approx 3/4 players this summer.
Sounds to me like changing things for the sake of change. If we are not promoted this season I see absolutely no reason to bring in anybody new bar a right back. I think Galbraith and Scott are judged unfairly because they are not shiny new things.

If we are promoted then that is potentially different. At the bare minimum we know we need something new to compete and beat Curzon Ashton and Salford.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:07 am

bga wrote:Couldn't fault the effort last night. Is it just me but isn't it a bit worrying how many chances we create and fail to put away.............seems to be the story of our season. .
I'd be more worried if we weren't creating chances. We are the top scorers in the league, so we must be doing something right. Not disputing we have missed chances recently (we certainly did at Lancaster, but I can't comment on last night), but at least we are creating chances. Hopefully it all clicks in the playoffs!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:09 am

lo36789 wrote:
super_les_mcjannet wrote:I think you have to improve/develop and move on your squad every season, looking at the current squad I would say we need approx 3/4 players this summer.
Sounds to me like changing things for the sake of change. If we are not promoted this season I see absolutely no reason to bring in anybody new bar a right back. I think Galbraith and Scott are judged unfairly because they are not shiny new things.

If we are promoted then that is potentially different. At the bare minimum we know we need something new to compete and beat Curzon Ashton and Salford.
If we end up staying in the division, we should aim to make 2 or 3 signings of a similar quality to the likes of Portas and Armstrong like we did last summer. They (and others) turned us from comfortably the second best in the league last year, to almost the best (and we were the best until Salford transplanted Ramsbottom back into the league). But, this is a conversation for another day (hopefully that day never comes as we win promotion..!)

Quaker Mod

Post by Quaker Mod » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:53 am

The time to disect the season is not now but post play-offs. I've been caught with my trousers down on some predictions but I believe we will come through these games.

Wing Commander Darlo

Post by Wing Commander Darlo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:05 am

Quaker Mod wrote:The time to disect the season is not now but post play-offs. I've been caught with my trousers down on some predictions but I believe we will come through these games.
And yet it would appear that lessons have not been learnt... I love your optimism, but you are dangerously tempting the fates and the gods again!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:06 am

lo36789 wrote:

3 or 4 players could be what is needed. Rumours of Bell leaving, Mitchell targetting a pro-contract, Hatch probably leaving and Amar not due back until Sep/Oct. Then looking at other areas of improvement, you have to keep moving in football, standing still is often seen as moving backwards.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 am

al_quaker wrote: we were the best until Salford transplanted Ramsbottom back into the league
Hold your horses - we finished above Ramsbottom last season - they overcame us head to head a couple of times but them being 'transplanted' back into the league didn't stop us being the best team in the league. Salford already had a very strong team before they signed half the Ramsbottom team.

DC

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:52 am

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote: we were the best until Salford transplanted Ramsbottom back into the league
Hold your horses - we finished above Ramsbottom last season - they overcame us head to head a couple of times but them being 'transplanted' back into the league didn't stop us being the best team in the league. Salford already had a very strong team before they signed half the Ramsbottom team.
I'm not saying Salford didn't have a very good side beforehand, as they clearly did, but I think ours was slightly stronger. However, they supplemented their squad with the best Ramsbottom had to offer, and have subsequently dropped only 6 points. If they hadn't signed Ramsbottom (which they were perfectly entitled to do) I think we would have edged it.

Anyway, all irrelevant now really. We've had a good season. Let's go and win the playoffs and make it a great one.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Bogratsteve wrote:
Darlo Since 68 wrote:
It has been all season!
Didn't listen last night because I was at the game but Ray has joined Andrew a few times on commentary, don't know who was the guest summariser last night
Thanks for that, Andrew does sound uncannily like his dad though in my defence.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:25 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:3 or 4 players could be what is needed. Rumours of Bell leaving, Mitchell targetting a pro-contract, Hatch probably leaving and Amar not due back until Sep/Oct. Then looking at other areas of improvement, you have to keep moving in football, standing still is often seen as moving backwards.
Ok.

Excluding Mitchell (never say never, but I think he might have been out of it for too long now and I think he is at college?). Do you think our first XI next season will be any different if we are in Division 1 North?

The players you have mentioned above would not make a blind bit of difference to that in my view.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:42 pm

We definately need a right back and I'd get a centre half as well. Mitchell would need to be replaced and that's about it for me.