Lancaster match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

notgnilrad
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lancaster match thread

Post by notgnilrad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:19 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:
My opinion wrote:
Beano wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:I agree with HarryCharltonsCat.

Sides always improve their performances against the bigger and better sides. These performances are a one-off, with the team playing beyond their usual level.

It's very difficult for professional footballers to play above their normal level for a whole season, let alone part-timers.

Darlington are a big draw in this league, owing to our history, fan-base, ambition etc and sides are always going to want to beat us. There's more kudos in beating us than there is in beating Burscough or one of the Ossetts, with the greatest of respect to those sides.

That's just the way it is and it's something we have to deal with. Most sides raise their games when we play, particularly when we're away to them. More often than not this season, we've been able to break them down, sometimes going on to trounce them.

Fact of the matter is that Clitheroe and Kendal were better on the day and beat us. It's as simple as that. To complain about them improving their performances for us just comes across as bitter. If anything, we should take it as a compliment.
Correct.

Similar circumstances would apply if we had the opportunity to play a Football League side or one of the larger non-league sides such as FC United.

Two things.
1 If we were to play a football league side it would be a one off, probably in a cup game. I would only expect us to play the way Lancaster did if it was a cup game and to get a replay for extra revenue
2 If we were to play FC United and played the same way as Lancaster did, I would be shouting for the manager to leave the club.
When i go to watch a game that involvs Darlington I expect us to at least show some ambition for most of the game
No-one was commenting on how they approached the game. The original comments were about them raising their game against us, and cheating their fans the rest of the season by not displaying the same level of performance. Which as the Lancaster fan has pointed out, is not the case.

Quoted from a Lancaster fan "In fairness in 2015 we have beaten Bamber Bridge, Northwich, Salford (you're welcome), Mossley, and Droylsden, as well as drawing with Spenny and yourselves."
Well what happened when you played the also rans, them teams you have mentioned have been around the top all season so in a way this proves my point that you can beat the best teams so what about the lower rated teams that you don't get the results against. If I was the manager I would be asking them players why perform against the best if you can't beat the rest means cheating the Chairman, Manager and fans because they only turn up when it suits them.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:53 pm

notgnilrad wrote:
Quoted from a Lancaster fan "In fairness in 2015 we have beaten Bamber Bridge, Northwich, Salford (you're welcome), Mossley, and Droylsden, as well as drawing with Spenny and yourselves."
Well what happened when you played the also rans, them teams you have mentioned have been around the top all season so in a way this proves my point that you can beat the best teams so what about the lower rated teams that you don't get the results against. If I was the manager I would be asking them players why perform against the best if you can't beat the rest means cheating the Chairman, Manager and fans because they only turn up when it suits them.
If you bothered to read the responses, it's been explained to you why sides' results differ throughout the season. You're choosing not to read it, either because you can't comprehend the arguments against you, or you're wilfully ignoring it.

It's not a question of "turning up when it suits." That's far too simplistic.

Your argument is just coming across as small-minded and bitter.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:28 am

Would you say Burnley players have cheated their fans etc. this season then?

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:17 pm

lo36789 wrote:Would you say Burnley players have cheated their fans etc. this season then?

The higher up the League you go the smaller mistakes normally get punished by better quality players so no.
Last edited by notgnilrad on Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
notgnilrad wrote:
If you bothered to read the responses, it's been explained to you why sides' results differ throughout the season. You're choosing not to read it, either because you can't comprehend the arguments against you, or you're wilfully ignoring it.

It's not a question of "turning up when it suits." That's far too simplistic.

Your argument is just coming across as small-minded and bitter.

Well football is an simple game made difficult by the players so you are probably correct it is far too simplistic, but my argument is correct they do turn up when it suits them we don't turn up for the big/pressure games but hopefully we can win 2 home games off the belt as it is still in our hands.

Also your argument comes across as small-minded and bitter just as I have a different opinion to you, if we did it would be a boring world don't you agree... probably won't because there are certain people on this forum that said if this is black you would argue its white. :shh:

Beano

Post by Beano » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:57 pm

notgnilrad wrote: Well football is an simple game made difficult by the players so you are probably correct it is far too simplistic, but my argument is correct they do turn up when it suits them we don't turn up for the big/pressure games but hopefully we can win 2 home games off the belt as it is still in our hands.

Also your argument comes across as small-minded and bitter just as I have a different opinion to you, if we did it would be a boring world don't you agree... probably won't because there are certain people on this forum that said if this is black you would argue its white. :shh:
Your argument is anything but correct.

Lancaster have fantastic form throughout 2015 after a mediocre first half of the season, as proved by results against the better teams in this division.

There isn't any set rules on who you can or can't take points from...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Beano wrote:
notgnilrad wrote: Well football is an simple game made difficult by the players so you are probably correct it is far too simplistic, but my argument is correct they do turn up when it suits them we don't turn up for the big/pressure games but hopefully we can win 2 home games off the belt as it is still in our hands.

Your argument is anything but correct.

Lancaster have fantastic form throughout 2015 after a mediocre first half of the season, as proved by results against the better teams in this division.

There isn't any set rules on who you can or can't take points from...

I didn't say there was, I said they should be doing a lot better and have cheated their fans/manager over a season.
It doesn't mean my argument is incorrect as well as its not an argument its an opinion which I will stand by. As I hope you will stand by yours as well as I don't want to change yours I just like debating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:27 pm

notgnilrad wrote:
Well football is an simple game made difficult by the players so you are probably correct it is far too simplistic, but my argument is correct they do turn up when it suits them we don't turn up for the big/pressure games but hopefully we can win 2 home games off the belt as it is still in our hands.

I disagree with you, but that's because you are one of the biggest and most clueless whiners on this board.

On this occasion, you are also wrong. Looking through their results, Lancaster have beaten plenty of sides below them. Most of their defeats are against sides above them.

Yes they have taken points off them, but that seems to be in the 2nd half of the season, when their form improved.

Check their results if you don't believe me: http://www.lancastercityfc.co.uk/s/fixt ... 25604.html

So yours is not an opinion, stop trying to hide behind that. On this occasion, you are hopelessly and utterly incorrect. You've been a bitter fool and not bothered to check your facts.

janb
Team Supported: Lancaster

Post by janb » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:56 pm

notgnilrad wrote: Quoted from a Lancaster fan "In fairness in 2015 we have beaten Bamber Bridge, Northwich, Salford (you're welcome), Mossley, and Droylsden, as well as drawing with Spenny and yourselves."
It is really more complex than that. We are currently 10th going into the last game of the season which is strangely enough where we deserve to be. We are inconsistent but not necessarily in the way you describe.

Against teams currently above us our record is
P17 W4 D5 L8 Pts17 - 1.00 point per game
Against teams currently below us our record is
P24 W14 D3 L7 Pts45 - 1.875 points per game

So we have done better against the bottom half than the top half as you'd expect. The story of our season was a decent but not blowaway start which fell away badly in November/December (coincidentally when Kendal were fluttering their eye lashes at our squad in particular our star (contracted) striker), and then since the turn of the year we have picked up again and done better against the top teams than before. With no chequebook, its been a case of coaching young players and a full season of DP/TS appears to have had some effect in that regard as the season progressed.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:22 pm

He is being entirely simplistic. For what it's worth you are a hard unit to break down and I think it is fair enough to keep things tight against one of the stronger attacking sides in the division.

To suggest your players have cheated your fans because they haven't upped their game against lesser team is clearly wrong.

Possibly my favourite game of the season this year was your game at Bamber Bridge. I think it was 4-3 to Bamber, so you might disagree, but it was an absolute cracker.

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Post by princes town » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:14 am

lo36789 wrote:
To suggest your players have cheated your fans because they haven't upped their game against lesser team is clearly wrong.
It surely presents a lack of aspiration.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:40 am

princes town wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
By that logic, Darlo had "a lack of aspiration" against Kendal, Clitheroe, Radcliffe and the like.

It's not "a lack of aspiration", there are many reasons results fall in this way.

To say it's because of no aspiration is simplistic, incorrect, insulting and disrespectful.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:00 pm

the issue for me isn't upping their game. The issue is time wasting after 5/10 mins of the game

notgnilrad

Post by notgnilrad » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:12 pm

janb wrote:
notgnilrad wrote: Quoted from a Lancaster fan "In fairness in 2015 we have beaten Bamber Bridge, Northwich, Salford (you're welcome), Mossley, and Droylsden, as well as drawing with Spenny and yourselves."
It is really more complex than that. We are currently 10th going into the last game of the season which is strangely enough where we deserve to be. We are inconsistent but not necessarily in the way you describe.

Against teams currently above us our record is
P17 W4 D5 L8 Pts17 - 1.00 point per game
Against teams currently below us our record is
P24 W14 D3 L7 Pts45 - 1.875 points per game

So we have done better against the bottom half than the top half as you'd expect. The story of our season was a decent but not blowaway start which fell away badly in November/December (coincidentally when Kendal were fluttering their eye lashes at our squad in particular our star (contracted) striker), and then since the turn of the year we have picked up again and done better against the top teams than before. With no chequebook, its been a case of coaching young players and a full season of DP/TS appears to have had some effect in that regard as the season progressed.
To the Lancaster players and fans I apologise I was checking 2015 performances against the top and bottom sides where there is not much difference looking at the facts and your explantion of your younger players improving I was wrong. :oops:

princes town

Post by princes town » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
princes town wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
By that logic, Darlo had "a lack of aspiration" against Kendal, Clitheroe, Radcliffe and the like.

It's not "a lack of aspiration", there are many reasons results fall in this way.

To say it's because of no aspiration is simplistic, incorrect, insulting and disrespectful.
no it isn't. My comments merely repeat what darren Peacocks said in his programme notes. "We've been looking forward to this game for a long time" It does suggest an enhanced focus on our game. A mini cup final? I have nothing against Lancaster at all. In fact i predict they will be vying for the play offs next year.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:15 pm

princes town wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
princes town wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

no it isn't. My comments merely repeat what darren Peacocks said in his programme notes. "We've been looking forward to this game for a long time" It does suggest an enhanced focus on our game. A mini cup final? I have nothing against Lancaster at all. In fact i predict they will be vying for the play offs next year.
Crap. Utter crap. Your comments do not "merely repeat" what Peacock says in the programme.

To play us at home is a big game, probably the biggest game of the season, for most clubs in the division, particularly if they're not likely to challenge for promotion.

There's a difference between saying a club is looking forward to a big game (which is what Peacock was saying) and accusing them of lacking of aspiration (which is what you are doing).

You're being very unfair and frankly ignorant towards them. By your warped logic, any club who looks forward to playing us has no aspiration. Your comments are bonkers, flawed and wrong.

princes town

Post by princes town » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
princes town wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
princes town wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

To play us at home is a big game, probably the biggest game of the season, for most clubs in the division, particularly if they're not likely to challenge for promotion.
At last we get there.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:07 pm

princes town wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
princes town wrote:

At last we get there.
Yeah - you take my point out of context why don't you?

If you think you are repeating Peacock's comments, you're more deluded and idiotic than I thought.

And you conveniently ignore the rest of my point. Why? Because they show your argument to be hopelessly flawed.

At least notgnilrad had the decency to admit he/she was wrong.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:34 pm

Maybe he just meant coz it was late in the season. He had been looking forward for a long time.

princes town

Post by princes town » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:47 am

lo36789 wrote:Maybe he just meant coz it was late in the season. He had been looking forward for a long time.

Even without the darren Peacock comments, "I think it is fair to say there has been one eye on this game for a while", I saw what I saw at the game so my evidence base is not limited to Peacock's ill-focused comments. Shameless time wasting and completely OTT celebrations at the end merely confirm my suspicions that most teams see us as a cup final. I'm really not sure why some teams take this exalted view of our status. We're good but we're also beatable. We're not f***in barcelona. That is up to them but it comes across as bit fawning to me. Nor do will I take lectures on decency from DG. For me, it merely serves to show the magnitude of the task we have. We are treated with a fawning respect at times. Similar at Warrington, more cup finals for the opposing team and more excessive celebrations after the superb 1-1 home draw. In contrast I can actually respect teams like Spennymoor and Salford who certainly won't treat us like immortals. Some teams need to get a grip.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:59 am

princes town wrote:
lo36789 wrote:Maybe he just meant coz it was late in the season. He had been looking forward for a long time.

Even without the darren Peacock comments, "I think it is fair to say there has been one eye on this game for a while", I saw what I saw at the game so my evidence base is not limited to Peacock's ill-focused comments. Shameless time wasting and completely OTT celebrations at the end merely confirm my suspicions that most teams see us as a cup final. I'm really not sure why some teams take this exalted view of our status. We're good but we're also beatable. We're not f***in barcelona. That is up to them but it comes across as bit fawning to me. Nor do will I take lectures on decency from DG. For me, it merely serves to show the magnitude of the task we have. We are treated with a fawning respect at times. Similar at Warrington, more cup finals for the opposing team and more excessive celebrations after the superb 1-1 home draw. In contrast I can actually respect teams like Spennymoor and Salford who certainly won't treat us like immortals. Some teams need to get a grip.
You're the one who needs to get a grip. You just sound bitter that they've dared not to be beaten by us. If we'd beaten Lancaster, you wouldn't be moaning nearly a week after the result.

For someone who's usually comes across as being reasonably intelligent, you're being quite dim really.

Of course we're most teams' cup final. When the fixture list comes out, a lot of teams will look for when they play us at home. We're not an ordinary non-league team. We have history, a large fanbase, some of the best players in the division, ambition to reach the Football League and we're building the infrastructure to do that.

Most clubs in this league can't hope to achieve or match that, they just don't have the resources to do so. And I do mean that with all due respect, but without a big backer, sides like Clitheroe, Ossett Albion or Lancaster aren't likely to reach the Football League any time soon.

I don't understand why you believe it's a bad thing that sides look forward to playing us, or why you seem surprised it's a big deal to these clubs. It's not "fawning", it's a demonstration of respect.

The tactics last week were frustrating but so be it. We can't stop them playing like that, so why worry about it?

And what I can't let you get away with, is making out that Peacock looking forward to the game is the same as saying "We've got no ambition, except to avoid defeat with Darlington once a season," which is what you're trying to say.

It's a horrendous misinterpretation and is massively unfair and inaccurate.

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 am

I love this idea that players can just "up" their game at the drop of a hat, but only for one game though.

The rest of the year they revert to their real level of utter dogshit but they're allowed the use of this black magic for one game a year (or two since we play each team twice).
Last edited by DarloOnTheUp on Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Players can "up" their game though. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody .

Just look at Chelsea v Bradford in this seasons FA Cup. If the Bradford players could maintain that kind of form they'd be sitting in the Premier League.

Personally I feel that Lancaster can play how they want to play, or play how they are told to play by the management team - it's up to them, and I was at Lancaster and witnessed the goings on.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

DarloOnTheUp

Post by DarloOnTheUp » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:38 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Players can "up" their game though. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody .

Just look at Chelsea v Bradford in this seasons FA Cup. If the Bradford players could maintain that kind of form they'd be sitting in the Premier League.
Simplistic nonsense.

princes town

Post by princes town » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:45 pm

DarloOnTheUp wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:Players can "up" their game though. This shouldn't be a surprise to anybody .

Simplistic nonsense.
why?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:01 pm

All relative (mixture of ages) but my best performances as a player came in 'bigger' games. cup finals/better opponents etc. I don't believe I wasn't trying in other games.

Do players up their game in bigger games? Yes
Do managers change their tactics to combat certain opponents and maximise points return? Yes

Should we be somehow offended by it? ...no

princes town

Post by princes town » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:18 pm

lo36789 wrote:All relative (mixture of ages) but my best performances as a player came in 'bigger' games. cup finals/better opponents etc. I don't believe I wasn't trying in other games.

Do players up their game in bigger games? Yes
Do managers change their tactics to combat certain opponents and maximise points return? Yes

Should we be somehow offended by it? ...no
I think you are probably right. We need to be aware that other clubs pay us a reverence that magnifies the challenge of winning games. I used to laugh at the big time charlie thing but it seems to be true. There is more pressure on us than most other teams because of our legacy.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:34 am

princes town wrote:I used to laugh at the big time charlie thing but it seems to be true.
I always think 'big time charlie' is more a state of self importance than others viewing you as a coup. We travel with a big crowd, the bigger the crowd the more adrenaline, the less you want to lose, the better you play.
princes town wrote:There is more pressure on us than most other teams because of our legacy.
Sorry think you are interpreting things wrong again to try and push some sort of point that it is just other teams being daft, we're not a big club anymore etc. It isn't our legacy per say, it is our present which causes the pressure.

We have a considerably bigger budget than all but 2 other clubs in this division. Week in week out we are competing against players on £20-£30 per game and no contract.

There is more pressure on us because if we don't finish in the top 2 that is, and rightly so, an underachievement. Getting a draw against us is an achievement, based on all other factors.

Name another club bar Salford and Spennymoor who have players plucked from the first team football of divisions above ie. Watson, Scott, Armstrong, Portas and White. The other clubs in our division are looking to the North West Counties and Supply leagues for 'gems'.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 am

lo36789 wrote:
princes town wrote:I used to laugh at the big time charlie thing but it seems to be true.
I always think 'big time charlie' is more a state of self importance than others viewing you as a coup. We travel with a big crowd, the bigger the crowd the more adrenaline, the less you want to lose, the better you play.
princes town wrote:There is more pressure on us than most other teams because of our legacy.
Sorry think you are interpreting things wrong again to try and push some sort of point that it is just other teams being daft, we're not a big club anymore etc. It isn't our legacy per say, it is our present which causes the pressure.

We have a considerably bigger budget than all but 2 other clubs in this division. Week in week out we are competing against players on £20-£30 per game and no contract.

There is more pressure on us because if we don't finish in the top 2 that is, and rightly so, an underachievement. Getting a draw against us is an achievement, based on all other factors.

Name another club bar Salford and Spennymoor who have players plucked from the first team football of divisions above ie. Watson, Scott, Armstrong, Portas and White. The other clubs in our division are looking to the North West Counties and Supply leagues for 'gems'.
Was talking to a chap I know who is involved with New Mills and was amazed that they were only on £30 a game.My Dad travelled from Manchester to play as a ringer in the 50s for New Mills and he wasnt on much less than that!

Think it puts pressure on Darlo in that teams raise their game but great teams of character overcome it,I think we have enough good characters in the Darlo team.