New Mills - Match thread

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Re: New Mills - Match thread

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:02 pm

+53 goal difference now :)

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:Can you honestly see us scoring twice with Armstrong and Dowson up front and the way Thommo has been playing these last couple of months.Not good enough Gray, team needs strengthening like now, just look at Salford who are showing us how it shoud be done.
Would this be the Armstrong whose now on 19 league goals
Point taken but at the time I posted we were very poor and in danger of virtually handing the title to Salford.Brilliant second half, pleased for Thommo and Nathan, these goals should work wonders for them.7 to go, goal difference looking good again, lets win at Warrington and then get Whitey and Mitchell back and push on.Lets hope Prescott hold Salford tomorrow, just need to win the next 7 and we are there.Well done boys, must learn not to react until the final whistle, but was worried up until the 45th minute.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:14 pm

Many thanks to the Virgin pair from Norway, but i'm back to blighty on Friday and will be at the next 4 Darlo games (weather permitting).

It's going to be an interesting visit........

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:22 pm

This is it Tinshed. Need to play to their feet but just having that width on the pitch in the first place makes it easier to play the passing game.

Even if Thommo gets marked up or doubled up on it brings in other players and gives our defence at outlet to pass to. It stops us punting it in the first place.

I still think Thommo is most dangerous 'in the hole.' Ask his mrs.

Dowson / Mitchell / Mota to rotate the wings, Thommo central behind your two strikers with Portas sitting.

This would just run teams ragged.

It's no good starting games that are all must win with 3 defensive midfield players. When Portas gets the ball he should have 5 men in front of him.

Best form of defence is attack!!! Feed the Carthorse!!

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:55 pm

I dont know whos idea it was to hoof it to the forwards for the first 40 minutes but as soon as that stopped there was only one winner.

Confidence now high which is good coming into a tough couple of games,please please keep the ball on the floor,its our strength.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:11 pm

bedaledarlo wrote:This is it Tinshed. Need to play to their feet but just having that width on the pitch in the first place makes it easier to play the passing game.

Even if Thommo gets marked up or doubled up on it brings in other players and gives our defence at outlet to pass to. It stops us punting it in the first place.

I still think Thommo is most dangerous 'in the hole.' Ask his mrs.

Dowson / Mitchell / Mota to rotate the wings, Thommo central behind your two strikers with Portas sitting.

This would just run teams ragged.

It's no good starting games that are all must win with 3 defensive midfield players. When Portas gets the ball he should have 5 men in front of him.

Best form of defence is attack!!! Feed the Carthorse!!

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!

divas

Post by divas » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:19 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:I dont know whos idea it was to hoof it to the forwards for the first 40 minutes but as soon as that stopped there was only one winner.

Confidence now high which is good coming into a tough couple of games,please please keep the ball on the floor,its our strength.
Yet again I don't think it's anyone's idea, but when you have a team closing you down and pressing you it's not easy to pass it especially when you play narrow. Sounds like once New Mills tired we were able to find a bit more space and when they went down to 10 it opened the game right up.

We're going to get plenty of first halves where teams press us and stop us playing, it's critical we don't concede in that time as has happened too often lately and then assert ourselves in the second half. No team at this level can press for 90 mins.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:I dont know whos idea it was to hoof it to the forwards for the first 40 minutes but as soon as that stopped there was only one winner.

Trying to wear them down, or contain them in the first half? More like losing possession, being increasingly predictable and thus giving their midfield much comfort to safely counter attack again and again.

The best Darlo teams over the decades have had mixed and therefore less predictable attacking methods, denying comfort to the opposition.

Our players have a range of capabilities, we just have to get the square pegs out of the round holes and then let them play a varied and more intelligent game.

7 out of 7 wins is possible, if the team has a more flexible approach.

DarloPeGi

Post by DarloPeGi » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:36 am

Just got back from New Mills. A poor first half display from us and the Dowson goal out of nowhere gave us a foothold in the game. I'm as frustrated as others with the long ball tactics, but a) the pitch was very bobbly, making passing difficult and b) they closed us down quickly, nobody had time on the ball. We started the second half better and looked in control and the sending off opened the floodgates. The last 30 minutes the lads played the sort of football we have come to expect and there were chances galore. Cartman had a brilliant effort hit the inside of the post and it was good to see him getting involved and he got his reward with the 5th goal. The fans who stayed back for a few minutes saw Cartman come off the pitch last and he received tremendous encouragement from everyone. Hopefully that will show him that the vast majority of fans are behind him and want him to do well.

Keep the faith !

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:47 am

I'm sure that Cartman feels a lot happier this morning. It was great that he got a tremendous reception at the end of the game.

bedaledarlo

Post by bedaledarlo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:46 am

divas wrote:

Yet again I don't think it's anyone's idea, but when you have a team closing you down and pressing you it's not easy to pass it especially when you play narrow. Sounds like once New Mills tired we were able to find a bit more space and when they went down to 10 it opened the game right up.

We're going to get plenty of first halves where teams press us and stop us playing, it's critical we don't concede in that time as has happened too often lately and then assert ourselves in the second half. No team at this level can press for 90 mins.
Yes and it's also a case of dictating the play a bit better when teams do press. Let's keep the ball and tire them out. Some teams will be and have been successful in a pressing tactic if we keep lumping it and handing them the ball on a plate.

You are right though, it isn't easy and we must take heart in the fact that both Northwich and Salford don't have the flair we have.

7 cup finals....

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 am

Two good results. And players back amongst the goals. This side are capable of winning all seven. But Salford still have Scarborough and Spenny (who would have thought we'd be wanting them to win a title six pointer. And Clitheroe who beat them 2-1 earlier in the season.

I remain positive that 92 points will be enough. And provided we can cut out conceding these stupid goals, it'll be us that gets there.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:52 am

divas wrote:

I watched Salford play at New Mills and they passed them off the park with the use of wingers.I just think playing to the opposition strengths ie onto 2 brick shithouses heads is not the way.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:58 am

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
divas wrote:

I watched Salford play at New Mills and they passed them off the park with the use of wingers.I just think playing to the opposition strengths ie onto 2 brick shithouses heads is not the way.
And as I said, I'm sure it wasn't the plan, but when you're under pressure and there's no immediate outlet there are two options 1) lose the ball to the opposition 2) launch it forward in the hope that one of your teammates win it.

It's so easy for people to say pass the ball, sounds dead simple doesn't it. In reality it's not or everyone would be playing teams off the park with their slick passing. At times you need to dig in and then take advantage when the opportunity arises which it sounds like we did last night.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:09 am

divas wrote:
MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
divas wrote:

And as I said, I'm sure it wasn't the plan, but when you're under pressure and there's no immediate outlet there are two options 1) lose the ball to the opposition 2) launch it forward in the hope that one of your teammates win it.

It's so easy for people to say pass the ball, sounds dead simple doesn't it. In reality it's not or everyone would be playing teams off the park with their slick passing. At times you need to dig in and then take advantage when the opportunity arises which it sounds like we did last night.
It does sound simple (I know from experience of playing on it what a poor pitch New Mills is ) but for better technical teams like Darlo,as Salford are,I believe play to your strengths.

The equalising goal came when Darlo ran at them with the ball for the first time.

By all means play it long but have a variation is all im saying.New Mills kept on lining up for the expected long ball where a ball wide would have thrown them out.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:43 am

I wasn't there last night, but the same arguments about long ball always pop up. I haven't seen a discernible difference in the way we have played ever since gray has been manager. It's always been pretty direct, then winning the second balls and attacking from there. Particularly in the early stages of games. The only difference recently has been the absence of purewal...

I actually think that since cartman signed we have tried to pass the ball around more. However, it's not always easy. Anyway, 7 more results like last night and I don't care whether we play the most boring kind of football imaginable. A shock result tonight would go down a treat!

Feethams 1966

Post by Feethams 1966 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:47 am

Phew, just seen the result (bottled out at half time). Well it's us or Salford. Just need to see who blinks first.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:01 am

Feethams 1966 wrote:Phew, just seen the result (bottled out at half time). Well it's us or Salford. Just need to see who blinks first.
I think Spenny and Northwich still have a big say in what happens at the end of the season and I would not rule either out..We will give ourselves a real chance if we win our next 2 matches at Warrington and Northwich

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:34 am

Some brief thoughts on last night:

Most importantly we got the three points!

First half was a real blood and thunder affair, New Mills to give them credit were very competitive, the tempo of the game was unreal, and their style was to sit tight and deep, defend well and then look to counter with direct balls behind us in to the corners. Their first goal came this way, although I am not at all sure how their only forward in the box was given so much space to nod home from close range.

Dowson's excellent goal was created by a strong surging run from Ian Watson and to be honest we never looked like scoring up until that point.

Second half I thought we started pretty strongly without dominating and we were gifted the game when their centre half blatantly stamped on Dowson. What he was thinking of I will never know. What a dickhead.

Anyway from then on in it was easy with New Mills tiring and Darlo knocking the ball about and looking like scoring plenty.

Much kudos to all the fans who travelled a long way on a Monday night but I have to say I was shocked with a minority of fans in the left side of the main stand who after 20 minutes were getting stuck right in to our team and staff, howling with derision and criticism when the ball was cleared (usually under pressure) and whinging about us not playing football and so on. We'd all like to see more attractive football but I for one do not want to see Chris Hunter or Gary Brown getting all elaborate with 14 stone of nostril bearing down on them at 20 mph.

In many ways I agree with the sentiments and there were definitely some occasions where we were not comfortable on the ball at the back but I thought the volume and intensity of their criticism was over the top. Anthony Johnson was there I hear and he'll have been rubbing his hands together to hear it and I'm sure the message will be "get stuck in to them for 20 minutes and then the crowd will turn on them"

Whilst the football was not always pretty I thought our (weakened) team won the battle on the pitch first and from there were able to win the game. Some of the tackles flying in were huge.

Seven games to go and noses in front. I don't think we'll have to win all seven but I think it will be crucial to see who blinks first between us and Salford. Whoever can keep winning longest will win it I feel.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:42 am

Just glad to get the result last night, the GD boost is a bonus.

Great obviously that Cartman got on the scoresheet as well.

From the highlights Dowson's looks a great hit.

Hopefully Prescot do us a favour tonight.

Either way Saturday is huge, we got to Warrington and Salford go to Scarborough

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:45 am

Maybe last night's first half performance also owed something to the fact that the lads had spent 3 hours 15 minutes on a coach, arriving not that long before the scheduled kick-off and didn't have a great deal of time to warm up before the 8pm start. I certainly don't think that helped in trying to get off to a flier. It wasn't an ideal prep for an important game. Thank God it all came good in the end as we got our game together in the second half and tore them apart.

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 am

I do think that playing the teams nearer the top will create a more open game, as they will require points to hopefully secure playoff spots.

Im happy with wins at this stage of the season, but we need to cut out the errors which have proved costly against the better sides recently.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:59 am

m62exile wrote:I don't think we'll have to win all seven but I think it will be crucial to see who blinks first between us and Salford. Whoever can keep winning longest will win it I feel.
I think who ever scores the most goals over 90minutes in a game will be the winner I feel.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Salford's games against Spennymoor and Scarborough are the best chances of them losing points, just gope that it happens! We will struggle to win all 7 games we have left particularly with the trips to Northwich and Warrington.

nansan

Post by nansan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 am

lo36789 wrote:
m62exile wrote:I don't think we'll have to win all seven but I think it will be crucial to see who blinks first between us and Salford. Whoever can keep winning longest will win it I feel.
I think who ever scores the most goals over 90minutes in a game will be the winner I feel.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Salford's games against Spennymoor and Scarborough are the best chances of them losing points, just gope that it happens! We will struggle to win all 7 games we have left particularly with the trips to Northwich and Warrington.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:37 am

lo36789 wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist.

I've got Radcliffe Boro away down as a huge banana skin for Salford.

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:42 pm

m62exile wrote:Some brief thoughts on last night:

Most importantly we got the three points!

First half was a real blood and thunder affair, New Mills to give them credit were very competitive, the tempo of the game was unreal, and their style was to sit tight and deep, defend well and then look to counter with direct balls behind us in to the corners. Their first goal came this way, although I am not at all sure how their only forward in the box was given so much space to nod home from close range.

Dowson's excellent goal was created by a strong surging run from Ian Watson and to be honest we never looked like scoring up until that point.

Second half I thought we started pretty strongly without dominating and we were gifted the game when their centre half blatantly stamped on Dowson. What he was thinking of I will never know. What a dickhead.

Anyway from then on in it was easy with New Mills tiring and Darlo knocking the ball about and looking like scoring plenty.

Much kudos to all the fans who travelled a long way on a Monday night but I have to say I was shocked with a minority of fans in the left side of the main stand who after 20 minutes were getting stuck right in to our team and staff, howling with derision and criticism when the ball was cleared (usually under pressure) and whinging about us not playing football and so on. We'd all like to see more attractive football but I for one do not want to see Chris Hunter or Gary Brown getting all elaborate with 14 stone of nostril bearing down on them at 20 mph.

In many ways I agree with the sentiments and there were definitely some occasions where we were not comfortable on the ball at the back but I thought the volume and intensity of their criticism was over the top. Anthony Johnson was there I hear and he'll have been rubbing his hands together to hear it and I'm sure the message will be "get stuck in to them for 20 minutes and then the crowd will turn on them"

Whilst the football was not always pretty I thought our (weakened) team won the battle on the pitch first and from there were able to win the game. Some of the tackles flying in were huge.

Seven games to go and noses in front. I don't think we'll have to win all seven but I think it will be crucial to see who blinks first between us and Salford. Whoever can keep winning longest will win it I feel.
I travelled a total of 3 miles for last nights match as compared to some who sat on a coach for 3 plus hours but agree,some of the support criticising the team from the off was painful to listen to.If I was a player I would be really pissed off with it.

As a lad I was stood with said "They would be better staying away"

MCFCDarlo3

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:45 pm

divas wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

Sorry couldn't resist.

I've got Radcliffe Boro away down as a huge banana skin for Salford.
Thats a good shout.

Chairman is Bernard Manning Junior,a big City fan,sure he would love to crap on Neville,Giggs,Scholes etc so no lack of motivation I would hope.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm

I don't think players at our level have the skills to take on board everything that Martin Gray says to them when we are under pressure. I remember Hodgie saying that the hardest thing for him when managing Darlo, was to accept that players could not do things he expected them to be able to do. I'd imagine that the problem must be even worse for players at our current level. This isn't a go at our players, it just stating one of the issues.

Sidarlo

Post by Sidarlo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:48 am

Watching the extended highlights looks like Thompson had a great game all round.