Liam Hatch

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

TinShedDarloFan
Team Supported: Darlington

Liam Hatch

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:58 pm

Its looking more and more like Mark Cooper got it spot on, he said that for Hatch to prolong his career he needs to move into central defence. The Hitman was immense at the back to day, came and won everything and had Macken in his back pocket. It was the same at Harrogate aswell

princes town
Team Supported: Darlington/Blackburn

Re: Liam Hatch

Post by princes town » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:13 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Its looking more and more like Mark Cooper got it spot on, he said that for Hatch to prolong his career he needs to move into central defence. The Hitman was immense at the back to day, came and won everything and had Macken in his back pocket. It was the same at Harrogate aswell

Superb performance by Hatchy last 2 games at CH.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:30 pm

Hatch was immense today, he won everything in the air and he was my MOTM just ahead of Portas.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:04 am

Think Hatch is definitely worth having in the squad due to his value at both ends. Maybe with some focused training with Gregan and the defense we could turn him into a good center back.

My only concern if we have a CB partnership of Hatch and Hunter (For me hunter is fixed in his CB place his pace along the floor and his strength are invaluable) is that im not sure we would have talker in the defense. These kinds of players are needed as their voice is a key organizer in the back line. Over the past few seasons you we've had a few good vocal CB's that have helped organize the defense (Brown, White, Tait). Otherwise I think our defense can be a bit quiet, as Jameson, Hunter, Mitchell and Watson aren't the most outwardly organizing of players, this can hurt you against the better teams when they can pass the ball faster and drag the defense around.

Im not saying that it can't work, but just that I'd like to see a bit more CB focused training work for Hatch before we think about putting him there full time.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:39 am

Based on performance recently Hatch has a really good shout, but I also agree on the strong leadership part, where would this leave Brown tho?

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:50 am

JE93 wrote:Think Hatch is definitely worth having in the squad due to his value at both ends. Maybe with some focused training with Gregan and the defense we could turn him into a good center back.

My only concern if we have a CB partnership of Hatch and Hunter (For me hunter is fixed in his CB place his pace along the floor and his strength are invaluable) is that im not sure we would have talker in the defense. These kinds of players are needed as their voice is a key organizer in the back line. Over the past few seasons you we've had a few good vocal CB's that have helped organize the defense (Brown, White, Tait). Otherwise I think our defense can be a bit quiet, as Jameson, Hunter, Mitchell and Watson aren't the most outwardly organizing of players, this can hurt you against the better teams when they can pass the ball faster and drag the defense around.

Im not saying that it can't work, but just that I'd like to see a bit more CB focused training work for Hatch before we think about putting him there full time.
I think you've made a great point which I've also noticed. To also add that I fear for hatch against a quick player.

I was impressed that he didn't give away any of his usual stupid needless fouls

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:07 am

Brown had a good game up until he went off injured. As for Hatch, I spent some of the second-half near to the home dug out and Gray was constantly shouting at Hatch, at least Hatch appeared to be listening, perhaps White should take note.

fanforlife

Post by fanforlife » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:01 am

the problem with the hitman is that he has never had any real game time with pace for me not really too much of an issue much like whitey . they both read the game very well and know where to be and when . everyones opinion is different hence forums like ours . if the hitman can get a run in the side i think it could turn out to be one of the best signings that martin gray has made. he clearly loves the club and i'm sure he has the bit between his teeth and will be determined to hang onto his shirt . after yesterdays performance innocent bystanders will be saying " apparently this guy can't get a game normally".

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:57 am

Hatch tends to look a little untidy with his style of play (unlike a player like Portas) however he gets the job done and should be kept if possible - so Martin Gray, use him or lose him.

After he got sent off and banned, I had a feeling that he would come back to play a part in the end of season push.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:59 am

Do we really think we should change White and Hunter who have been so good at the back for us this season?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 am

Im not saying we should change White and Hunter, I still think they are our best CB partnership. What I am saying though is with the right training Hatch could become a viable CB option in the future and is therefore very much worth having around as he can add something to the squad upfront and at the back. Added to the fact that white can't play forever.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:04 am

CrazyDarlo wrote:Do we really think we should change White and Hunter who have been so good at the back for us this season?
Well.............this is the problem. Hatch seems to be back up, both in defence and attack, and apparently he wants regular first team football.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:07 am

White misses the Lancaster and Northwich Home games suspended and Brown pulled up yesterday with an injury, not sure but possibly hamstring.

So with that in mind Hatch could well have to fill in for 2 games and after yesterday may well get the nod for the Clitheroe game on Saturday, which gives him a run of 4 games (counting yesterday). We will know where we stand with Hatch then.

I have thought Hatch has something to offer the team and other than St Neots hasn't let the lads down. Problem is he is being a jack of all trades at the moment.

Bogratsteve

Liam Hatch

Post by Bogratsteve » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:10 am

The only way I can see this (when white is back) is 3 cb's 2 wing backs 3 in midfield and 2 up front and MG won't want to rework formations at this time of the season, flexible as we could easily change to 433 and send Hatch up front if required, all pie in the sky but works on football manager lol

Fibonacci0112358

Post by Fibonacci0112358 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
CrazyDarlo wrote:Do we really think we should change White and Hunter who have been so good at the back for us this season?
Well.............this is the problem. Hatch seems to be back up, both in defence and attack, and apparently he wants regular first team football.

There's no problem, it's Hunter & White! By a country mile.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:27 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:White misses the Lancaster and Northwich Home games suspended and Brown pulled up yesterday with an injury, not sure but possibly hamstring.

So with that in mind Hatch could well have to fill in for 2 games and after yesterday may well get the nod for the Clitheroe game on Saturday, which gives him a run of 4 games (counting yesterday). We will know where we stand with Hatch then.

I have thought Hatch has something to offer the team and other than St Neots hasn't let the lads down. Problem is he is being a jack of all trades at the moment.
Groin injury

Sat ont shitter

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Love this board. Last week all I heard was complaints about "hoofball". This week all I am hearing is how immense Hatch was when he came on.
Whilst he won some headers and did well against an immobile Jon Macken, he managed to put the ball out of the ground on five separate occasions out of about 8 touches!

shawry

Post by shawry » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:22 pm

m62exile wrote:Love this board. Last week all I heard was complaints about "hoofball". This week all I am hearing is how immense Hatch was when he came on.
Whilst he won some headers and did well against an immobile Jon Macken, he managed to put the ball out of the ground on five separate occasions out of about 8 touches!
There is hoof ball and there is defending though. He wasn't trying to use cartman as a target man.

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:58 pm

m62exile wrote:Love this board. Last week all I heard was complaints about "hoofball". This week all I am hearing is how immense Hatch was when he came on.
And your point is what? We were 2-1 up and his role was to make sure that nothing got past him, simple as that. It's good old fashioned centre half play. Don't mess about in your half of the field, get rid! He did just that, extremely effectively

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:14 pm

BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:
And your point is what? We were 2-1 up and his role was to make sure that nothing got past him, simple as that. It's good old fashioned centre half play. Don't mess about in your half of the field, get rid! He did just that, extremely effectively
If that's what is required then he'll be fine, and defending a lead and hoofing the ball high and far is his forte.

Let's see how satisfied people are when we are 0-0 with twenty minutes to go and the seventh ball of the day goes bouncing down Sainsburys car park. That is my point.

But- well done Liam for stepping in yesterday.

Ingleby

Post by Ingleby » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:36 pm

m62exile wrote:
BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:
If that's what is required then he'll be fine, and defending a lead and hoofing the ball high and far is his forte.

Let's see how satisfied people are when we are 0-0 with twenty minutes to go and the seventh ball of the day goes bouncing down Sainsburys car park. That is my point.

If we are 0-0 and are relying on our centre halfs to create some magic or killer pass we are fucked anyway.

Unbelievable. Well done Liam indeed.
For you to insult me, I must first value your opinion.

BlackandwhiteBOB

Post by BlackandwhiteBOB » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:07 pm

m62exile wrote:
BlackandwhiteBOB wrote:

But we're not talking about a game at 0-0, we are talking specifically about yesterday's game and it's circumstances.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Yes.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:45 pm

Spot on m62 exile. Hatch was great yesterday but it was all about no nonsense but that was what was required. Before the Farsley game White was talked of as possibly player of the season you don't drop your best centre back permanently because he gets sent off for two mistimed tackles.

We have two games coming up now where it will be Hatch/Hunter, unless Brown recovers. Then I expect Hatch will probably pick up a couple of cautions during those games anyway so expect White to return after his suspension.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:52 pm

With two games a week through March, we have the luxury of having 4 good centre backs, some of whom can cover when full backs or others are missing. With knocks, illnesses, suspensions and losses of form being likely, we are maybe in a better defensive position than other promotion rivals.

I had expected more goals from the centre backs this season and their sharpness in the opponent's box, from squad rotation, may be crucial to grabbing vital goals.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:24 am

Neil Johnson wrote:
I had expected more goals from the centre backs this season and their sharpness in the opponent's box, from squad rotation, may be crucial to grabbing vital goals.
Dear me. Another instance of typing before thinking.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY