Alan White's latest suspension

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Al 68
Team Supported: Darlington

Alan White's latest suspension

Post by Big Al 68 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:09 pm

This time it's for 2 games, Lancaster on the 11th and Northwich on the 14th, both games at home

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Re: Alan White's latest suspension

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:04 am

Big Al 68 wrote:This time it's for 2 games, Lancaster on the 11th and Northwich on the 14th, both games at home
Good news, means he can't get sent off.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 am

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/ ... ith_White/

Ok, so the manager is furious with White for making two tackles that warrant yellow cards. Yet he defended him after Salford for getting sent off for verbals.

I have no massive issue with White getting sent off for making tackles, its what he is paid to do, and if he gets it wrong occasionally then I accept that. There is no excuse though for the verbals.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:21 am

Gray could hardly criticise White after Salford - seeing as he got sent off too.

Nobody should get sent off for "verbal's" it's just daft - we're not in this league to make up the numbers, we need to get out, ASAP.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:59 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Gray could hardly criticise White after Salford - seeing as he got sent off too.

Nobody should get sent off for "verbal's" it's just daft - we're not in this league to make up the numbers, we need to get out, ASAP.
He criticised Mitchell though at the same time

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Sounds like Gray is losing patience with White, not before time if you ask me.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm

White is still the first name on the team sheet. His experience is invaluable.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:52 pm

I don't think he should be. I'd put him on the bench for Saturday's game, if we have adequate centre half cover. It might make him appreciate how important it is to be a team player and not a loose cannon.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

At the end of the day White got sent off for two fouls, it happens, to be honest, Gray should be looking at the bigger picture, as you can blame White getting sent off for us losing the game, in fact you cant blame the dismissals in either game for us losing, its because we were extremely poor as a team.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:38 pm

But him getting sent-off did cost us on Tuesday and at Salford. We can't afford to be ending up games with only 10 players.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:45 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:But him getting sent-off did cost us on Tuesday and at Salford. We can't afford to be ending up games with only 10 players.
I agree with Pete .......................... I know - I know, but someone has to at sometime!

We're trying to get back in a game and then it happens, we're down to ten men, it makes things just about impossible.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:But him getting sent-off did cost us on Tuesday and at Salford. We can't afford to be ending up games with only 10 players.
I agree with Pete .......................... I know - I know, but someone has to at sometime!

We're trying to get back in a game and then it happens, we're down to ten men, it makes things just about impossible.
We were already beat in both games, White becomes an easy target because he was sent off.

I agree, he shouldn't get sent off, but in both of these games it didn't cost us, we got exactly what we deserved.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:57 pm

If White's sending off was out of character, then it would be a different matter, but you almost expect him to get into trouble in every match he plays. Plus the suspension puts pressure on the rest of the squad.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:59 pm

shawry wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

We were already beat in both games, White becomes an easy target because he was sent off.

I agree, he shouldn't get sent off, but in both of these games it didn't cost us, we got exactly what we deserved.
shawry wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Hpw can you say we were already beat in the Farsley game, as we were only 3-2 down when he got sent-off, there was still a chance we could have got something out of that game.

shawry

Post by shawry » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
shawry wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

shawry wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Hpw can you say we were already beat in the Farsley game, as we were only 3-2 down when he got sent-off, there was still a chance we could have got something out of that game.
Because Pete, we were awful, our 2 goals flattered us somewhat.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:14 pm

shawry wrote:We were already beat in both games
Until the Ref blows for full time there's always a chance of a goal. However a much better chance with all 11 players on the pitch.
shawry wrote:as you can blame White getting sent off for us losing the game
The above was a typing mistake right ?

Incidentally, I agree with your point re fouls, a player like White will always stand a chance of getting 2 yellows for a couple of robust tackles.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Usual thing at our level is that technical cautions will be paid out of a players own pocket (dissent, taking your shirt of celebrating, kicking the ball away), penal offences will be paid by the club (foul tackle, deliberate handball etc.)

Most club secretaries come in and check what the cautions were for at the end of the game. Not to dispute them but because it impacts who pays the fine.

I believe we have the same rules in place and I am pretty sure Neil Warnock and Tony Pulis even do this in the PL (clearly more out of principle than anything!). Gray does seem to have it the wrong way round but against Salford I think he was more annoyed at the referee than White.

White is not a liability. He was sent off by an overly sensitive referee and if that hadn't happened this one would have been a nothing event. Who ever said it is quite right though it is absolutely incorrect to say he cost us the game, there is zero evidence that we would have got results with him on the pitch.

Rufusuk

Post by Rufusuk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:47 pm

He was sent off because both he and the Manager failed to change their behaviour having 'observed' we had an over-fussy referee! Instead 'they' expected the 'over-fussy' referee to change his behaviour!

I guess the main question is given White's track (disciplinary) record is it better keeping him (as he is) or get shot?

I suspect he's just about worth his place given what he brings to the team over the entire season.
Last edited by Rufusuk on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bga

Post by bga » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 pm

[quote="Rufusuk"]He was sent off because both he and the Manager failed to change their behaviour having 'observed' we had an over-fussy referee! Instead 'they' expected the 'over-fussy' referee to change his behaviour!

Sums it up brilliantly for me Rufusuk!

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Despite his short comings I suspect White has taught Hunter an awful lot in the last 2 seasons and we really would not have the defensive record we have (excluding the last month) if he was not with us, scored 1 or 2 useful goals also lol

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:00 am

lo36789 wrote:there is zero evidence that we would have got results with him on the pitch.

But there is evidence that we got nothing with him off the pitch - the final score.

Or are you suggesting that if we're 3/2 down and nearing the end of the game - the odd sending off doesn't really matter.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:47 am

The statement was that it cost us. Clearly doesn't mean financially (which I couldn't dispute) because in the next sentence says we can't afford to have 10 players on the pitch at the end of a game.

I interpreted he meant cost us the game and I don't think that can be proven, neither can JT be ruled out.

I agree the Salford one was stupid, but at Farsley it was understandable. They were completely independent events though and had completely different drivers. If he was picking up sending offs for mistimed tackles every week that is a trend, if he was picking up red cards for mouth similarly.

If over two consecutive days you ate two completely different meals but on both occasions you were instantly sick. On the first day though it had peanuts in and you have a peanut allergy so that was accounted for just because you have never had the symptoms before for the second day are you going to suggest that you can't eat anything again?

bga

Post by bga » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:16 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:Sounds like Gray is losing patience with White, not before time if you ask me.
At either Burscough or Prescott earlier this season Whitey was giving the ref his usual verbals. You could see he was winding the ref up so he wasn't giving us any 50/50 decisions. I heard MG clearly call Whitey and say "Shut up Whitey or I'll pull you off......I mean it." Outcome was he did and stayed on the field. You can teach an old dog new tricks if you are firm with them! So whilst as MG says you cannot change him you (MG and coaching team) can manage him better?

Darlo will

Post by Darlo will » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:50 pm

It was at Burscough, one of the first games of the season wasn't it?
We score when we want
we score when we want
we are darlo
we score when we want

bga

Post by bga » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:57 pm

Yes it was thanks I knew it was one of the two.

jonn

Post by jonn » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:09 pm

So why doesn't Gray tell him: "You get a yellow card for verballing the ref, I'm taking you off. Yellow card for a tough tackle, that's different."
Might encourage Whitey to keep his mouth buttoned, and we wouldn't go down to ten men for one player's stupidity.
Sticking him on the subs bench from the start is self-destruction: he's a great player and asset to the team.... so long as he shuts up.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:56 am

I just think it's in White's character, that he's constantly got to be in the face of the referee. When he plays I'm constantly worrying as to when his next booking or sending-off is coming along.

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:49 am

He gets frustrated at incompetent reffing, and Les face it we have had a lot of that to contend with since our fall from grace

RUMPLESTILTSKIN

Post by RUMPLESTILTSKIN » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 am

Bogratsteve wrote:He gets frustrated at incompetent reffing, and Les face it we have had a lot of that to contend with since our fall from grace
He is, or was a professional footballer. He is not a toddler. He should be able to keep his mouth shut, and his rattle in his pram :silent:
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King

Bogratsteve

Post by Bogratsteve » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:44 am

RUMPLESTILTSKIN wrote:
Bogratsteve wrote:He gets frustrated at incompetent reffing, and Les face it we have had a lot of that to contend with since our fall from grace
He is, or was a professional footballer. He is not a toddler. He should be able to keep his mouth shut, and his rattle in his pram :silent:
Yep and he's played under better officials so most likely harder not to comment on, Let's face it he has let his mouth go all his career so he's not going to become quieter the old he gets, grumpy old man syndrome maybe.