Plastic pitches

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Plastic pitches

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:46 pm

I was home this weekend as I'd gone to watch the Swans beat Man United... I was having a post match pint in my local when I got talking to a lad involved with my local Welsh Premier league club Port Talbot Town. He was talking about how the club is struggling like most league of Wales clubs and are currently being bankrolled by Colin Hancock, former owner of Mansfield Town. He then mentioned that many of the clubs in the league are installing plastic pitches and that PTT were looking to do the same as they were a great way to make money and were a big hope for making clubs like Port Talbot self sustainable. Apparently, they can be rented out and are a bit of a cash cow for non league clubs, as well as guaranteeing the club won't lose valuable revenue when games are called off (this would be pretty invaluable to Darlo right now given the fixture pile up).

Is this something that's been considered for Blackwell? Apparently they're expensive to install and need regular maintenance. Obviously the club are sharing with the rugby team but these pitches are already being used by Saracens and Cardiff Blues rugby teams without any risks to player welfare.

This may have been discussed on here already so apologies if this is a duplicate.

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Plastic pitches

Post by lo36789 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:49 am

It is a bit. Summary of discussion.

Some people like 3G some think it isn't football, prefer the game on grass. Everyone agrees is is financially a good move though due to renting it out. That said if you install one you can never get promoted to the conference (I think?) as they don't allow plastic pitches.

We also don't own the first team pitch at Blackwell it is the rugby clubs, not sure what their rules are on plastic pitches but it would need to be a mutual decison. I know you mention Saracens and Cardiff Blues, but I give you that the women's World Cup and champions league can be played on plastic but not conference and above.

Basically until the rules change its a no go as we wouldn't want to put a ceiling on our promotion hopes.

Personally speaking here, if we could build a 3G facility somewhere else on the ground that would be ideal it provides a training facility, somewhere for the youth teams to play and can generate some cash. Curzon Ashton and Radcliffe Borough both have 3G facilities as part of their grounds. Finding £600k to put that in place probably won't be top priority though.

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:20 am

lo36789 wrote:It is a bit. Summary of discussion.

Some people like 3G some think it isn't football, prefer the game on grass. Everyone agrees is is financially a good move though due to renting it out. That said if you install one you can never get promoted to the conference (I think?) as they don't allow plastic pitches.
They're allowed in all rounds of the FA Cup now, and are allowed in both levels of the Conference from next season.

A vote was taken over their introduction in Leagues 1 & 2 after an earlier survey indicated that most chairmen were in favour of them, but the vote was tied so the current ceiling is promotion to the football league.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 am

After perhaps technology in football (ie goal line technology) Plastic pitches really are the next big talking point of the sport.

The plus points are obvious, club dont lose out on revenue through the winter, they can rent out the pitch to make money, minimal upkeep costs once the surface has been laid, no more cabbage patch pitches in winter etc.

However this is a development that personally I really really dont want to see become a norm in English football. From my experience the two surfaces definitely play differently from one another. But more than that there is something in the history, football is played on grass pretty much has been since its inception, teams have to deal with different conditions of pitches not just snooker table surfaces, what about the big dirty knee style tackles. I don't know, call it nostalgia but I think there is something to be said for keeping the heritage of football by keeping the game on grass (plus the FA need to pull their finger out and look at large scale investment into the 'grass' roots of the game, particularly pitches and facilities).

plus it would ruin Brian Cloughs great say. 'If god intended for football to be played in the air he'd have put grass in the sky' ...... astro-turf just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:20 pm

lo36789 wrote:It is a bit. Summary of discussion.

We also don't own the first team pitch at Blackwell it is the rugby clubs, not sure what their rules are on plastic pitches but it would need to be a mutual decison. I know you mention Saracens and Cardiff Blues, but I give you that the women's World Cup and champions league can be played on plastic but not conference and above.

Basically until the rules change its a no go as we wouldn't want to put a ceiling on our promotion hopes.

Personally speaking here, if we could build a 3G facility somewhere else on the ground that would be ideal it provides a training facility, somewhere for the youth teams to play and can generate some cash. Curzon Ashton and Radcliffe Borough both have 3G facilities as part of their grounds. Finding £600k to put that in place probably won't be top priority though.
Yeah that's a good point regarding the football league and it's not something we should even think about gambling on incase we're then left with a 600k piece of plastic we can't use. But the idea of a second pitch on Blackwell is a great one, given the idea is for the site to be a community sports hub.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:30 pm

With the improvement in technology, I think it is only a question of time before plastic pitches are allowed in the professional game.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:05 pm

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31603948

Football league voted again and said no to plastic pitches

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:25 pm

It's not a question of if but when.

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:12 pm

The Premiership TV money deals could be used to improve football in the FL & below level by level, by granting money for artificial pitches, as strengthening of smaller club finances improves the number of young players and the quality of their development. This would do far more for England team & club prospects than farting about with ruining leagues with stiffs teams.

Local low league clubs in Norway usually have very reliable artificial pitches, which only differ from grass in terms of consistency of surface and bounce. Most teams train on artificial pitches.

If Darlo could buy a pitch with a long term loan, they could facilitate a lot more training and game sessions and become a football hub for the area.

Money can be made from selling refreshments and charging relatively small fees.

The pitch could be moved if required to satisfy any residual fears at some higher level up the pyramid.

RonJeremy
Team Supported: Darlington, Man Utd.

Post by RonJeremy » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:05 pm

Anybody who has played on a 3G pitch will know why this isn't a good idea, should be used for training and hiring out at the most.