New Shirt

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Re: New Shirt

Post by Quakers1883 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:14 pm

It was between 1 and 3 for me, both aren't all that great but I went for 3 in the end. It feels like a missed opportunity if this is the shirt we wear on our return to Darlo. It would of been nice to see a one off design, for example a replica of our first ever shirt (if anyone knows what that looked like)
FORZA DARLO

Neil Johnson
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Adidas supplied the 3 hoop shirt worn in late 60's and early 70's. We were maybe the first team wearing their shirts with 3 hoops or stripes. Old DFC never checked this up to get a 50th year anniversary shirt/sponsorship.

When Darlo were thinking about selling replica 3 hoop shirts & when they used a 4 hoop design, they had checked and the 3 stripes/hoops is an Adidas trade mark.

I know is sounds stupid, but you wont see shirts, shorts, boots etc in the shops with 3 stripes/hoops, unless they are Adidas supplied.

Having said this TOFFS sell 3 hoop replica Darlo shirts, but the hoops only go half way round, as no-one at old DFC could confirm whether they did or didnt go all the way around. (they did. I have pictures ex Sports Despatch)

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Darling ... ngton.html

Take a look at this for historical shirts. I dont suppose we would want the first shown, for obvious reasons.

dickdarlington

Post by dickdarlington » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:44 pm

The one on historical kits isn't our first strip ever. It's the strip used in 1888, 5 years after we were formed. Our first kit was black and white hoops with black shorts, and this was because we were formed out of the rugby club, who's colours we adopted. We probably even used one of their old kits. So in keeping with our traditions, it is only right we should play in hoops next season, considering the reunion of sorts of the two clubs.

What is a missed opportunity, and perhaps is something to consider in future, is having both clubs in the same design of kit (different materials though).

CrazyDarlo

Post by CrazyDarlo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:53 pm

I've gone for option 1 but 3 will win no doubt about it.

Quakers1883
Team Supported: Quakers

Post by Quakers1883 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:01 pm

It makes sense that our first kit would be the same or similar to the rugby club. This site seems to show we started in Blue and White stripes! http://www.kitclassics.co.uk/kits/darling.png
Surely this is incorrect !?

The oldest photo I have seen of a Darlo shirt is dated 1886 when we wore Black and White quartered shirts. White shorts and Black socks.
FORZA DARLO

TinShedDarloFan

Post by TinShedDarloFan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:11 pm

Went for option 3 although none of them really stood out to me, i'd of loved the black and white quaters design on there.

Design 2 reminds me to much of the Raj S***h era

dfcchris

Post by dfcchris » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:28 pm

A shirt with the name "Darlington" on it would be good so outsiders know who our shirt is....an opportunity to raise profile missed one feels..again!!

jimmyht

Post by jimmyht » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:53 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Adidas supplied the 3 hoop shirt worn in late 60's and early 70's. We were maybe the first team wearing their shirts with 3 hoops or stripes. Old DFC never checked this up to get a 50th year anniversary shirt/sponsorship.
surely this could still happen? Fifty years on late 60s takes us to 2018 or 2019 - are we signed up that far ahead to our present contract? Would Adidas be interested in us? Its a really nice angle publicity wise?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:05 pm

Who's 50th anniversary?

Ours was in 1933 and the anniversary of the hooped kit would have been after 2010?

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Number 1 for me.

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:
Having said this TOFFS sell 3 hoop replica Darlo shirts, but the hoops only go half way round, as no-one at old DFC could confirm whether they did or didnt go all the way around. (they did. I have pictures ex Sports Despatch)
The one I got from toffs earlier this season has the three hoops right round the shirt (front and back).

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Number 1 for me too
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

trotskycat

Post by trotskycat » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Very poor selection for me. Would love to see a simple hoop design like the 'Orange' sponsored strip. None of these options have anything to do with heritage.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:49 pm

trotskycat wrote:Very poor selection for me. Would love to see a simple hoop design like the 'Orange' sponsored strip. None of these options have anything to do with heritage.
:thumbup:

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:55 pm

TinShedDarloFan wrote:Went for option 3 although none of them really stood out to me, i'd of loved the black and white quaters design on there.
Me too, though the first one wasn't bad. I went for the quartered design last season. Maybe an idea next time round to do a survey to give us bit more say in the design of the selections - I think if the quartered design had been in there instead of that 2nd one, it might well have won.
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:12 pm

option 1 for me, would also like to see a return to darlo shirt with supporters names in, as a one off fundraiser, for the first game back against new conference club, hartlepool?

Mr_Tibbs
Team Supported: The Almighty Darlo

Post by Mr_Tibbs » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:58 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:option 1 for me, would also like to see a return to darlo shirt with supporters names in, as a one off fundraiser, for the first game back against new conference club, hartlepool?
I was reminded of that shirt by the Salford forum background...

http://salfordcityfcfans.proboards.com/ ... ernoon-out

Still got mine - seems to have shrunk a bit over the years though :lol:
Join - Shop - Collect

Collect free donations for your club every time you shop the easyfundraising way:

www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dfcsg

Neil Johnson

Post by Neil Johnson » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:23 pm

Glad that TOFFS responded after my comments, although I suppose they checked with the older DFC Supporters Club members. Anyway I will buy at least one for old time sake.

Liverpool having Adidas shirts in 1933???. Adidas seemed to promote themselves in the UK from the early sixties.

Adidas may have been founded in 1933 though, was Adolf involved?

A 60th anniversary of the Darlo hoop shirts is only a few years away (after the new Avec deal?)

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:36 pm

Adolf was involved. Adolf Dassler that is, in 1924 (before handing over to his son Horst, whose money funded Joao Havelange's corruption of FIFA).

Dassler was also a member of the Nazi party (so the "other" Adolf was probably involved), before later leaving.

But I digress.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ginge01

Post by Ginge01 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Neil Johnson wrote:Adidas supplied the 3 hoop shirt worn in late 60's and early 70's. We were maybe the first team wearing their shirts with 3 hoops or stripes. Old DFC never checked this up to get a 50th year anniversary shirt/sponsorship.
I'm sure no one really cares, but is there any evidence Darlington had kits made in the late 60's by adidas. I had an old football annual that said Umbro were the UK suppliers of adidas footwear in the early 70's. I was not aware any non footwear by them was made. Kits then were made by Umbro, Bukta, Litesome, UK based brands, not German brands. The first I saw adidas kits appear in England was for the 1977/78 season, Middlesbrough's red shirt with broad white hoop got 'adidased', the three white stripe piping down the sleeves, shorts and rings on the socks as well as the trefoil logo. QPR wore an 'adidased' kit for the first time that year also. The following year Birmingham and Ipswich got 'adidased'. That style of piping had appeared on World Cup kits in 1974, adidas did not reinvent the teams design, the just put their logo and three stripes everywhere.

I thin it's a coincidence that Darlington selected three stripes, and no link with adidas existed. However, if we wanted to use that three hoop design today, having not maintained it through the decades, adidas could make a trademark infringement issue of it.

Quakerz

Post by Quakerz » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:02 am

Ginge01 wrote:[

I'm sure no one really cares, but is there any evidence Darlington had kits made in the late 60's by adidas.
Is there fuck any evidence.

Neil "always wrong" Johnson said so, therefore Q.E.D.

“Everybody knows where that club is going now, so I’m out of the way. They can carry on, it’s their club, they can keep it." - Raj Singh, 2017

BUSHEAD

Post by BUSHEAD » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:52 am

No.1 best of a average bunch.
I'd love to see the checked shrt that was an option last season
Think before posting

quakerfan

Post by quakerfan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:14 pm

I like hoops . Number three for me .

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Having voted already, I've decided that I don't like any of them.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Gone for No.1, nice to break away from the norm a little sometimes. Theres still hoops on there..... just little ones haha.
Wonder what our away shirt will be like, id quite like to see us go back to yellow for the away shirt. Will we be sporting a charity sponsor logo again too?